Modification for the ES350

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 09:36 PM
CGLex07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modification for the ES350

Fellow ES 350 owners -

I am just curious as to whether any of you plan to do some modifications when aftermarket parts start becoming available. I have been a modifier for over 10 years, everything from mini trucks to import drags and I think I have made the decision to stay stock with this ride. Lexus has done such a great job with styling and electronics with the 350 that I really can't think of anything I would absolutely have to change. The one thing that is getting added just so the kiddo can stay entertained on the way to daycare (live in Casa Grande work in Tempe) is headrest monitors and DVD. Lexus of Chandler is installing in a couple of weeks for $2100.

So, what does everyone else think about the mod bug?

CG
Old 05-21-06, 10:05 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey CG-
Recognize where I took this picture a couple of weeks ago? I was staying in Scottsdale, but took a drive to your neck of the woods. A great town!
As far as mods on my 350, I'm going to hold off awhile until I see something that strikes my fancy. I had a rear spoiler installed on the '03ES that I traded in, but I doubt that I'll do that on this car.

Old 06-15-06, 07:18 PM
savior02
Driver School Candidate

The one thing i want to get modded/programed is the DVD player to show picture while driving. The dealer told me you can customize settings for the es so maybe they can do it!
Old 06-15-06, 07:38 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you are going to think this is crude but I got a set of headrest monitors for the kids from Target. They attach to the headrest. The wiring looks pretty bad (not too bad really) but the cost was only $175.00 including the DVD player that is built into one of the monitors. (OK, I'm cheap)

The mod I want is that cool device that connects to the iPod and allows me to control it from the Nav Screen while driving. When I have that installed I may ask them to do "the hack" at the same time.

By the way. This car is a great boulevard cruiser and it has the power to step out when necessary. This is a great toy!
Old 06-16-06, 11:03 PM
methomas79
Driver School Candidate

Default Es350...

Well Last thurs I bought this vcar to replace my old 93' LS 400 that needed about 6500 worth of work as so quoted by the dealer. I must say that I ahve been anticipating this cars release since last year. And now I have it. I live in Cali and I have not yet seen another one like it on the road and I drive about 110 miles a day on the 91/57/60.

I choose the Smoke Grey Metalic and it is fully loaded except for the XM reciever that I am going to get in the next day or so.

I did get the deck lid spoiler adn it just ads to beatuy of this car.

A guy at the dealer (getting the car washed) today told me he wished he had seen this car before he bought his new GS two weeks ago.

I do not plan to do nay mods yet except the dvd hack if I can find it and maybe get the windows tinted.

All I know is that this thing is a head turner especially for a 27 yr old.
Old 06-19-06, 08:50 AM
07ES350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by methomas79
I choose the Smoke Grey Metalic and it is fully loaded except for the XM reciever that I am going to get in the next day or so.
Will you be doing the install of the XM kit yourself or are you going to take it to the dealer? I'm curious to know how easy this mod is. I contacted the dealer and they want $903 installed. I can buy the parts myself for around $350 and do it myself. I just want to know how hard it is to remove the wood trim bezel around the head unit. Any idea?
Old 06-19-06, 03:46 PM
wizhill
Driver School Candidate

Keep in mind you'll have to install the antenna, too, which involves just as must work as the receiver. You’ll have to place it and run the cable underneath carpet (etc). I wouldn’t think it would be too difficult, but it is something else to keep in mind.
Old 06-19-06, 10:05 PM
prgs300
Driver School Candidate

The insatllation of the XM receiver is all done in the trunk of the car. Nothing to remove in the dashboard or inside the cabin. The antenna can be installed on the trunk lid as sugested by the instalation guide or any other location desired. Some dealers installed them on the roof above the back window and run the cable along the rubber at the glass edge, other ones install the antenna inside, next to the reardeck brake lights the end of the cable goes to the receiveer in the trunk that is installed with the radio amplifier.
Old 06-20-06, 09:11 AM
07ES350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by prgs300
The insatllation of the XM receiver is all done in the trunk of the car. Nothing to remove in the dashboard or inside the cabin.
The following diagram is from Vais Technology http://www.vaistech.com/slx.html I believe this is the same product the dealers use. According to the diagram you need to connect to the head unit to use the Nav screen.

I wondered about the antenna issue too. Does anyone know of any aftermarket XM antennas that look a bit more stylist than the traditional XM antenna?
Old 06-23-06, 09:50 PM
07ES350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 07ES350
The following diagram is from Vais Technology http://www.vaistech.com/slx.html I believe this is the same product the dealers use. According to the diagram you need to connect to the head unit to use the Nav screen.

I wondered about the antenna issue too. Does anyone know of any aftermarket XM antennas that look a bit more stylist than the traditional XM antenna?
I was wrong in thinking that the factory/dealer installed XM tuner was installed up front by the head unit. I researched the service manual and found out that the tuner is installed in the trunk area and the recommended place to mount the antenna is on the trunk lid because of the glass roof.
Old 06-25-06, 04:01 PM
PaJaHa1
Pole Position

The XM antenna will work just as well from inside the back window. As long as it has a clear path to the sky, the windshield won't interfere. Sometimes the exterior mounts just don't look right.
Old 06-25-06, 04:17 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am seriously considering the ES350. If I get it, 19 in wheels are a must. I have not driven on stock wheels since college in the 1980's. Hopefully, Tein will make the CS co's for the ES. That would be it, nothing else. Well, maybe some stereo upgrades. I'd have to see what the factory system sounds like. I didn't turn it on when I test drove the car.
Old 06-30-06, 06:04 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Well I know this car is all about Luxury and barely anything else, but I think its a very attractive design with some mod potential.

I know its tough since the aftermarket isnt strong for this model, but I know someone on here had to atleast add aftermarket rims!! Something, Anything!! Tints??!! Come on ES350 owners, I know yall can do better than that.
Old 07-01-06, 11:09 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will definitely consider some modding when I get my car in a couple of weeks. Since I got Tungsten Pearl, tinten windows should be good. I would like to tint all around including driver and passenger sides, so will have to go with a light tint to prevent any tickets. What % would you guys recommend, and is there a reference for different state laws of what's allowed? I will also consider spoiler, but not the factory one. It looks really good from the back, but from the side its not intergrated enough like on GS. Hopefully something cool will be released in Japan from aftermarket manufacturers. Also, I absolutely love roof spoilers, like the one on this picture for GS

I really hope they will have it for ES350. On my previous cars I used to put wind deflectors and sunroof deflector, but I think on ES350 it will look cheap. Also, not sure about any ground effects since every kid in the neighborhood has their Civic's pimped out with ground effects. Just in my opinion, it will make Lexus look cheap and take away from the original lines of the car. Of course, this opinion could change if I see something extra cool
Old 07-02-06, 09:19 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
What % would you guys recommend, and is there a reference for different state laws of what's allowed?

For us Jersey folks, we are not allowed to have window tint on the front windows or windshield at any percentage. The rear windows you can have any percentage you want.

I had 15% on both of my cars in Jersey and never had a problem. Depends on where you live, but its been all good with me.

Quick Reply: Modification for the ES350