ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Welcome to Club Lexus! ES350 owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 02:43 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sickwitit--in no way was I insinuating that you made a poor decision in getting the aftermarket wood overlay kit; if it did come across that way, I apologize...but like I said, such wasn't my intent. All I was (trying to) say was that in general, I'm not that big a fan of press-on overlay kits--like you said, everybody is entitled to their own opinion...and if given a choice to apply such a kit in my car, I would do so if the wood overlay didn't look painfully obvious that it was a stick-on kit. Also, I don't think I was insinuating that the overlay in your vehicle looked tacky (probably not the best word to use on my part) because it wasn't real wood...all I said was that IMHO the center console overlay looked a bit "out of place" because the overlay made the center console buttons look recessed. I did offer that the overlay on the door handles and glove box door did come out nicely (based on your pics)...and if someone gave me an overlay kit for free or reduced price, I would probably use it on those same parts too...but personally I would forgo applying the overlay to the center console for the exact reason I just mentioned.

FWIW--there are aftermarket wood overlay kits that are not of the stick-on variety (I'm not talking about wood overlay products done via hydrographic process--the one I'm talking about uses real wood) that come really close to the OEM wood overlay like that used on the ES...these are not cheap but definitely would offer a better "match" (IMHO) to the OEM wood than any stick-on overlay kit can offer.

Bottom line--I'm glad you're happy w/ how it turned out in your car; all I said was that, even as good as it looks in your car, I'm not about to start looking around to see if I can get the exact same one for my car...at least not the one for the center console.
Old 12-06-06, 07:35 PM
Sickwitit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toneman
Sickwitit--in no way was I insinuating that you made a poor decision in getting the aftermarket wood overlay kit; if it did come across that way, I apologize...but like I said, such wasn't my intent. All I was (trying to) say was that in general, I'm not that big a fan of press-on overlay kits--like you said, everybody is entitled to their own opinion...and if given a choice to apply such a kit in my car, I would do so if the wood overlay didn't look painfully obvious that it was a stick-on kit. Also, I don't think I was insinuating that the overlay in your vehicle looked tacky (probably not the best word to use on my part) because it wasn't real wood...all I said was that IMHO the center console overlay looked a bit "out of place" because the overlay made the center console buttons look recessed. I did offer that the overlay on the door handles and glove box door did come out nicely (based on your pics)...and if someone gave me an overlay kit for free or reduced price, I would probably use it on those same parts too...but personally I would forgo applying the overlay to the center console for the exact reason I just mentioned.

FWIW--there are aftermarket wood overlay kits that are not of the stick-on variety (I'm not talking about wood overlay products done via hydrographic process--the one I'm talking about uses real wood) that come really close to the OEM wood overlay like that used on the ES...these are not cheap but definitely would offer a better "match" (IMHO) to the OEM wood than any stick-on overlay kit can offer.

Bottom line--I'm glad you're happy w/ how it turned out in your car; all I said was that, even as good as it looks in your car, I'm not about to start looking around to see if I can get the exact same one for my car...at least not the one for the center console.
Dude not a problem I'm not defending my choice's I don't need to do that just correcting and or sharing point's of view's, and as a matter of fact as I incorrectly implied (Usage of the term Overlay) this set is real wood not the hydrographic processed wood kit your refering to (My fault for using the words overlay brain fart I appologize and I stand corrected), that being said I stand behind my original statements you'll need to see this in person to appreciate the quality and exact fitment as well as exact color match, although I'd agree with the fact that because it's made from real wood it produced a bulky fit around the center console (Four panels), I resolved this issue by simply removing the area's (Four panels) with the impregnated look and filing and or sanding them down until the desired fit and look is achieved, I'll post the fixed application once it reinstalled in a couple of week's (Using a better camera as well ).
I welcome your's and others opinion's these exchanges are the foundation of forums so no harm and no foul just sharing.
Thanks again for sharing
Regards Rob Franklin
Old 12-18-06, 02:08 PM
KK22030
Driver School Candidate

2007 ES 350 -11/06 Build
Smokey Granite Mica/ Grey Interior
Premium Package Plus + Nav.
Used to drive a 1994 Honda Accord (a big step up)
Old 12-19-06, 09:09 AM
daica
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

2007 ES350 Tungsten Pearl/Gray interior
Premium Plus w/ Navigation.

Just got it on 12/18/06 and loving it!
Old 12-19-06, 11:04 PM
Lex13
Rookie

Congrats and welcome to KK22030 and daica. Please keep this forum posted on your experiences with your new cars. Seeing that you two have newer non-UL builds, I'm extremely interested in knowing your likes and dislikes (if any) with the ES. I plan to buy one in the next couple of months and I would really appreciate a fresh voice or two from the newer owners.
Old 12-21-06, 07:25 PM
daica
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lex13
Congrats and welcome to KK22030 and daica. Please keep this forum posted on your experiences with your new cars. Seeing that you two have newer non-UL builds, I'm extremely interested in knowing your likes and dislikes (if any) with the ES. I plan to buy one in the next couple of months and I would really appreciate a fresh voice or two from the newer owners.
Thanks... I haven't really driven the car that hard - I traded in my 2003 Mini Cooper which I loved pushing it around the corners and stuff, but I haven't tried that with the ES. As for the feel of the car, it has a nice comfortable ride... don't really feel the bumps too much like the Cooper did. And I really like the navigation system, bluetooth connection, turning headlights, backup camera, and of course the push-button ignition.
Old 12-21-06, 08:38 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post some pictures!
Old 12-22-06, 02:38 PM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

Picked up my ES-350 on December 21,2006
AL Luxury Package
Smokey Granite Mica / Grey Leather
Built date: November 06
Traded in 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited
Old 12-22-06, 02:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by OAKPLANK
Picked up my ES-350 on December 21,2006
AL Luxury Package
Smokey Granite Mica / Grey Leather
Built date: November 06
Traded in 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited
Congratulations! Enjoy your new ride. Same color combo as mine.
Old 12-23-06, 01:55 PM
tnedator
Driver

Ok, I am going to play surrogate owner here. A friend just bought an ES350. He was telling me about it, because he knew I was getting my wife one.

His is a Titanium Silver with black interior. I know he has the rear window shade and heated and cooled seats, but it isn't a UL. Don't know specifically what other options it has, because much of what he was raving about are standard features.

Anyway, he said it is the best car he has ever owned.

We will hopefully be picking my wife's up next Saturday.
Old 12-23-06, 03:29 PM
Mlawler
Driver School Candidate

New 2007 ES350 UL Royal Ruby Metallic/Cashmere interior
Parking assist
Clear Bra
No sirus yet, this one is confusing
Tinting on its way

Great Car, traded the 05 Tundra DC for it...actually does ok in the snow too, but still have the Sequoia.

Took these pics on a cloudy day..

http://obgod3.smugmug.com/gallery/2248252/1/117299933
Attached Thumbnails Welcome to Club Lexus! ES350 owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-117300116-m.jpg  

Last edited by Mlawler; 12-23-06 at 05:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MeGaDaDon (02-04-17)
Old 12-23-06, 06:01 PM
Patric
Pole Position

Beautiful color combo.

Those are my choices as well with the possible exception of the cashmere mats which I might prefer in grey to lesson the frequent need for cleaning.

Congratulations.

Pat
Old 12-23-06, 07:14 PM
Mlawler
Driver School Candidate

Yeh I gotta find some winter mats or turn em over...the snow storm didnt help much. Looking at that picture put a 6 foot snow bank next to it two days later...ha ha
Old 12-23-06, 08:58 PM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by Mlawler
New 2007 ES350 UL Royal Ruby Metallic/Cashmere interior
Parking assist
Clear Bra
No sirus yet, this one is confusing
Tinting on its way

Great Car, traded the 05 Tundra DC for it...actually does ok in the snow too, but still have the Sequoia.

Took these pics on a cloudy day..

http://obgod3.smugmug.com/gallery/2248252/1/117299933
That's pretty much exactly what we will be picking up next Saturday for my wife. Ruby Red/Cashmere UL.
Old 12-24-06, 06:08 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Mlawler--great...another pic for my wife to see so that she can rag on me some more for not having bought ours in Ruby Red instead of the SGM that I chose to go with--a nice color in its own right...LOL! j/k!!!

Nice pic, and congrats on your purchase!

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! ES350 owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE