ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES 350 Reviews Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 08:35 AM
LexFather

Default ES 350 Reviews Official Thread

As in the other new Lexus releases, please post either the review or link to all reviews here, thanks.

No comments please
Old 04-23-06, 08:36 AM
LexFather

Edmunds
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207084
Old 04-23-06, 08:37 AM
LexFather

ES 350 brochure
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211654
Old 04-23-06, 08:39 AM
LexFather

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/040601.html

ES article
Old 04-23-06, 08:39 AM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212829

Car Connection article (thank u Magneto again)
Old 04-23-06, 09:01 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default No problem SICK

Heres another one

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211111

newcartestdrive.com
Old 04-23-06, 09:02 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

and one more...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211343

Familycar.com
Old 04-28-06, 09:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Thumbs up New Lexus ES 350 simply stunning

New version comes with engine upgrade

Graeme Fletcher, Canwest News Service
Published: Friday, April 28, 2006

KELOWNA -- When the original Lexus ES 250 arrived, it was little more than a Toyota Camry dressed in its finest glad rags.

Nonetheless, the ES sold well, quickly becoming a pivotal player in establishing Lexus as one of the premium brands in North America.

Now in its fifth generation, the ES 350 is a very different automobile -- it has a decidedly edgier personality and is now packed with the leading-edge technology expected of a luxury car and then some.

When compared to the rather pedestrian-looking car it replaces, the new ES 350 is nothing short of stunning, as it manages to balance grace with more than a hint of sport in its exterior style -- the broad stance, rising beltline and racy roofline really are quite a departure from the cars of yore. Times, as they say, are a-changin'.

Along with the new look come some greatly appreciated upgrades, not the least of which is a more powerful engine -- a 3.5-litre V6 that pushes 272 h.p. to the road through a new six-speed manumatic transmission.

Needless to say, the ES is quick, reaching 100 km/h in 7.2 seconds. It also operates as a Lexus should, which means that, even with the gas pedal mashed, the ES remains eerily hushed.

Much of the credit for the quiet-but-quick ride is down to transmission.

Not only do the ratios match the engine's operating characteristics very well, but it is quick to kick down and gives the ES an easy riding style once up to speed. Its other likable trait -- and one that will bother other luxury car manufacturers that use lesser transmissions -- is that whenever the gas is gunned, the tranny keeps the engine at a roaring boil, where it is allowed to do its best work without ever feeling busy or getting loud.

The ride characteristics follow this lead. The suspension (MacPherson struts all round with anti-roll bars at both ends) is, on one hand, comfortably compliant, yet it manages to hold its own in a faster corner.

The amount of body roll is well controlled and, when the driver does manage to put a wheel wrong, the traction and vehicle stability control systems are ready to step in to save the day.

More impressive is the manner in which it all comes together. The previous car tended to feel almost -- dare I say -- sloppy when pushed.

The new vehicle is sharper to the feel and much more driver-oriented. Considering its station in life, the ES 350 is a remarkably entertaining piece to drive, be that quickly or not.

This entertaining theme continues inside. To begin with, the driver cranks the car to life through a push button, and so the intelligent ignition key stays in your pocket. All the relevant information is relayed and accessed through some of the nicest dials and ergonomic ***** offered anywhere.

The two-tone, leather-and-wood-lined finish that comes complete with an intoxicating aroma has an organic yet funky feel.

Everything from the centre console and the seven-inch navigation screen to the instrumentation and steering wheel-mounted controls (for the audio system, trip computer and multi-information display in the speedometer) are in the right place and so are readily accessed.

As for the models offered, the base car ($42,900) comes very well equipped, counting all the usual power options, dual-zone climate control and heated/cooled 10-way front seats.

Moving up to the Premium package ($46,500) adds a rear-window sunshade, side air bags for the rear-seat riders and the aforementioned real wood/buttery-soft leather to the steering wheel, rain-sensing wipers and high-intensity adaptive headlights.

The top-line Ultra-Premium package ($54,300) adds a cabin-opening double sun roof (the Panorama roof features a movable front panel and a fixed panel over the rear riders), navigation system (it boasts eight million stored points of interest), nicer leather and a loud and more-than-proud Mark Levinson sound system.

Once a solid but oh so stolid set of wheels, the latest ES breaks the mould by delivering a car that is sassy enough to attract the younger crowd Lexus is seeking without alienating the company's traditional buyers.

What really impresses, however, is just how well everything has been integrated into the finished item -- it is good enough that Lexus lifts the entry-level luxury-car bar by a substantial measure.
Old 05-06-06, 12:40 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you really have to drive the car and play with the technological toys on it. I'm really pleased with my car.
Old 05-11-06, 07:10 AM
macaximx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Lexus ES350 gets ‘L-finesse’ treatment

2007 Lexus ES350 gets ‘L-finesse’ treatment

By RICHARD RUSSELL

When Lexus first introduced the ES-series, pundits chuckled at the notion of adding some trim and features to the Camry and charging a surplus just because it wore a Lexus badge.

Well, the score is: Lexus 1, pundits 0. The ES has been a huge hit; it’s the most popular model in the lineup and proof consumers are indeed willing to pay extra for a luxury brand and the image that accompanies it.

Because the ES is based on the most popular sedan in North America, the Camry, it is more family and passenger friendly than anything else in the segment. Four generations of ES have come and gone based on this recipe.

But now a fifth generation has arrived and Lexus has found a way to offer more sportiness without sacrificing the interior space and comfort that’s become a hallmark of the brand.

The answer is horsepower. The 2007 ES350 offers a whopping 54-horsepower increase, accompanied by electronic throttle control and a new six-speed transmission. The result is a whole new impression and one not normally associated with this brand — performance. At 272-horsepower, this 3.5-litre V6 is another typical Toyota/Lexus power plant, silky smooth, exceptionally quiet and all but assured of being among the most reliable and long-lived engines in the industry. It is capable of hustling this big 3,600 lb. (1,636 kg) sedan to 100 km/hr in less than seven seconds! The same engine used in the new Camry and the Avalon, tuned for regular-grade fuel, produces four fewer ponies.

All this enhanced performance was accomplished while increasing fuel mileage as well as the level of luxury and refinement and without any sacrifice in ride quality — all for $42,900.

What is fascinating for those of use who follow the industry closely is how Lexus continues to find ways to improve what are widely acknowledged to be among the most fault-free products in the industry. Chief engineer Hiroyuki Hirata says it is a matter of "kaizan," a Japanese word that means ‘pursuit of perfection.’

Hirata-san says that within Lexus, he is known as the ‘King of Kaizan’ and that his job is to nit-pick and find flaws.

"The goal with the new ES was to move it out of the entry-level comfort zone and unto a new level. The most noticeable aspect of this drive is the interior. This is where our customers relax, listen to their favourite music or carry on conversations," he said, while accompanying us over a portion of the drive route.

While completely restyled, the new ES is still a fairly conservative piece and easily identified as an ES. The inside is a considerable advance over the model it replaces in both design and execution. From the quality and appearance of the leather and wood to the manner in which controls and information are presented, this is a decidedly upscale car.

The steering wheel and shift lever are covered in soft leather and the instruments use the Optitron lighting system introduced by Lexus, making them highly visible in all conditions. The seats are first-class in terms of both comfort and support in front and rear cabins. The front seats come with 10-way power controls. The rear quarters are where the ES trumps other entry-level luxury cars, especially those from Germany. There is serious stretch-out space back there; comfortable seats with plenty of leg and head room. The new model allows Lexus to increase its lead in this respect with a 1.8 in. (4.5 cm) longer wheelbase and 2.2 in (5.5 cm) wider cabin; accomplished without a measurable increase in overall length, height or width.

If you enjoy quality audio, the ES can be equipped with a Mark Levinson system that closely approximates studio quality sound. If safety is a major concern the new ES comes with ABS, Vehicle Stability Control and Traction Control as standard equipment along with front-, side- and side-curtain airbags.

A premium package is available that brings extra wood trim, rear-seat side airbags, rain-sensing wipers and adaptive headlights. The ultra-premium package gets the aforementioned Mark Levinson audio system, reversing camera, navigation system, upgraded leather, unique alloy wheels and a three-panel panoramic glass sunroof.

Examples of the thoroughness of the re-make and attention to detail include: the new six-speed transmission has 20 per cent fewer parts than the outgoing five-speed and is more compact. It contains fluid that does not have to be changed for the life of the vehicle. Triple-layer acoustic control glass is used in the windshield and Thinsulate in the floor pan to reduce noise levels. All windows are frameless to reduce the possibility of air or water leaks.

Real wood is laminated to an aluminum backing and each piece digitally encoded to ensure a match when it arrives on the assembly line. The front seats are both heated and ventilated and feature adjustable thigh support for those with long or short legs. The available power rear window sunshade automatically retracts when reverse is selected. The new generation navigation system has both voice command and Bluetooth wireless connectivity.

On an extensive drive through the Okanagan Valley the ES exhibited the luxury traits that have made it such a success. But it also showed a bit of attitude. On those occasions when passing opportunities presented themselves it responded with a newfound urgency and ability. The extra horses are more than happy to be let out of the corral. Over the twisty bits the ES still exhibits a fair amount of lean and under steer and the suspension is definitely tuned more to the luxury side of the ride/handling equation. But it is a lot more agile than previous versions.

Lexus sales were up 25 per cent in Canada in 2005; the replacement of the core model in the lineup with a much more powerful and even more refined unit should ensure that trend continues.

Richard Russell owns and operates Advanced Driving Concepts and is president of the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada. ( russell@advanceddriving.com)
Old 05-11-06, 08:16 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I bit the bullet

This morning my dealer called me and told me that they just got in a ES350 with the top UL package. It was the only UL equipped ES that they received delivery on, and they just put it on the showroom floor. I told him that I wasn't too interested in getting that package because I wasn't too keen on the massive moonroof,aside from the fact that the MSRP was $44,084.00! I also found out that you can't buy an ES350 with a Mark Levinson Surround Sound System unless you order any of the UL packages. I ran right down to the dealer and immediately fell in love with the color of this car plus all the goodies that this package afforded. After some bickering about my trade-in of my '03 ES, we came to a decent price, so I bought it.
The car was on the showroom floor for less than 2 hours, and after the deal was made they immediately removed the car for it's final prep. I'm picking it up tomorrow at 2:00PM!! Yea
At this point I can't report about too many things since there will be a learning curve on some of the accessories, and I won't be able to take pictures this weekend since rain is forecast, but I will report back with my findings on this beautiful piece of machinery.
Old 05-12-06, 05:07 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
This morning my dealer called me and told me that they just got in a ES350 with the top UL package. It was the only UL equipped ES that they received delivery on, and they just put it on the showroom floor. I told him that I wasn't too interested in getting that package because I wasn't too keen on the massive moonroof,aside from the fact that the MSRP was $44,084.00! I also found out that you can't buy an ES350 with a Mark Levinson Surround Sound System unless you order any of the UL packages. I ran right down to the dealer and immediately fell in love with the color of this car plus all the goodies that this package afforded. After some bickering about my trade-in of my '03 ES, we came to a decent price, so I bought it.
The car was on the showroom floor for less than 2 hours, and after the deal was made they immediately removed the car for it's final prep. I'm picking it up tomorrow at 2:00PM!! Yea
At this point I can't report about too many things since there will be a learning curve on some of the accessories, and I won't be able to take pictures this weekend since rain is forecast, but I will report back with my findings on this beautiful piece of machinery.
I can't wait to hear about it. Congrats!
Old 05-19-06, 05:47 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CanadianDriver

http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/07es350.htm
Old 05-19-06, 11:40 AM
nstan20
Driver School Candidate

Default Another one

Monday, May 01, 2006

2007 Lexus ES 350 Review
The ES is one of the original Lexus models, a car that was introduced in the late 80s alongside the larger LS. It represented truly affordable luxury motoring in a time when the Japanese were merely budding into the segment. Essentially, what is a re-styled, re-worked high-end Toyota Camry, in todays lineup, it appeals to traditional customers who appreciate Lexus meticulous eye for quality, yet want a softer, more comfortable ride with a more conservative looking exterior.

And while it vies with the IS as Lexus entry level vehicle in terms of price, it targets a completely different customer.

In terms of appearances, I was never particularly fond of the old ES. It either looked very plain, almost too inconspicuous (even with two-tone paint and chrome wheels), as with the first three generations, or, as with the most recent version, very round and inflated, and rather odd looking with its almond-sliver headlamps. The good news is that all such oddities and/or blandness have been cured with a solid dose of L-Finesse, Lexus now famous styling language.

With this new styling pen, the ES has been transformed into a very handsome looking automobile, bearing close resemblance to other members in the Lexus portfolio, and in particular the IS - in fact, from the front and the side, its sharp jaw-line makes it look like a grown-up, matured IS. From the back, its completely different from any other Lexus; its identity new, slim and with angular taillights.

The 2007 Lexus ES 350 comes as one model, but the buyer can opt for a huge range of equipment by selecting Premium, Premium Plus, Ultra Luxury, Pre-Collision, and Adaptive Cruise options packages. Freestanding options include park assist, a power rear sunshade, heated and ventilated front seats, a full-size spare tire, a wood and leather trim package, and DVD navigation with backup camera.

Optional equipment includes a navigation system, satellite radio (XM or Sirius), a 14-speaker Mark Levinson stereo system, Bluetooth wireless capability for cellphones, a panoramic glass roof, and radar-adaptive cruise control.

Interior Features

If there is any part of this car that could be called a quantum leap, it's the interior, which is much more together, more modern, and more fully equipped than any previous Lexus ES interior.

It starts with the standard SmartAccess key fob and push-button engine starting, a first for the ES, and goes from there. The instrument panel and center stack are completely new and much more driver-centered, engaging and involving that previous panels. The main instruments are deeply tunneled, using white LED lighting and the Optitron electroluminescent displays that are part of all Lexus models, with their eye-pleasing startup routine. The standard trip computer monitors a dozen functions. All of the real wood trim is from a matched set that is serial-numbered for future replacement, if necessary. The thick, fat steering wheel is a pleasure to use.

There's more space overall, within a few cubic feet of the original LS 400 V8 rear-drive sedan at 95.4 cubic feet, with more shoulder and leg room built in, and the rear floor is flat and can accommodate large American feet under the seats. There are three interiors to choose from in leather, perforated leather, or cloth, plus optional semi-aniline leather.

The new ES is insulated well. At cruising speeds, it's extremely quiet, in part due to a new acoustic-control laminated windshield.

The driving ambience is superb, with good sightlines, the hooded instruments and crisp graphics, a 10-way power seat and standard tilt/telescope steering wheel. Fit and finish inside are exemplary.

In the same way that the IS is making leaps and bounds in performance, the ES is escalating the ranks in terms of luxuries offered. For the first time, Lexus will offer a panoramic glass roof on the ES, comprised of a power sunroof and a fixed overhead rear panel, similar to the sort of roof featured in Mercedes-Benzs E-Class, or by MINI in its Cooper. Eight airbags, including knee airbags are standard, but that can be increased to a total of ten if the optional side rear airbags are specified. Also available are extra-luxurious semi-Aniline leather seats with heat and ventilation, as well as AFS adaptive xenon headlamps, and a new and improved touchscreen navigation system.

The extra-large LCD screen featured in the ES also acts as a display for the optional reverse camera, and is able to play DVD videos when the vehicle is in park. To back up the visuals, Lexus has turned to Mark Levinson to provide the acoustics, which in this case includes a 7.1 surround sound digital processor powered by a 10-channel, 300-watt amplifier. Sound is directed through a total of fourteen loudspeakers, strategically placed around the car to maximize sound quality. Source input for this magnificent system includes tapes, CDs, satellite radio, or personal MP3 player, accessible through an integrated aux-in jack.

Walkaround

The 2007 ES 350 featires the Lexus L-Finesse design scheme used on three concept cars and the GS and IS sedans, with everything emanating from the grille and flowing back over the car in hard lines. The new look brings a new level of slickness, only 0.28 coefficient of drag in the wind tunnel, making the ES 350 inherently quieter and more fuel-efficient than before.
The first thing that impressed us was the new look and more generous physical size of the car. The grille has been subdued, the headlamp units have been made smaller and less obtrusive, and the accent line along the side has been raised to yield more musculature under the skin. Now this car looks like it belongs in a Lexus showroom.

The new ES 350 was consciously upsized, to about where the original LS 400 flagship car was when it was introduced. The wheelbase is more than two inches longer at 109.25 inches, the body is wider by 0.4 inches, the track is wider by 1.2 inches, and the body has crisper, shorter overhangs along with a new front, side and rear appearance that's much more luxurious looking than any previous ES.

About the only exterior customizing you can do other than paint and wheels is a choice of lighting, from standard projector beam to optional high-intensity discharge headlamps to optional adaptive lighting, the latter of which swings the headlamps through an arc of up to 15 degrees when turning. There are 10 colors to choose from.

The ES 350 is about 110 pounds heavier than the ES 330 due to the addition of more safety features and standard equipment built into the price.

Driving Impressions

When the engine displacement, power and torque get such a big boost all at once, it can change your opinion of a car very quickly, and that's what happened to us the first time we booted the 3580-pound Lexus ES 350 up a long, long hill in Hawaii. The new ES 350 benefits from a brand-new all-aluminum engine design with all the latest technologies built in, and it's a honey, with 57 more horsepower than the 3.3-liter engine it replaces, and one more gear to run through.
For the first time, performance is part of the equation in an ES. It's quick to respond, the engine is as smooth and quiet as you would expect, and the transmission operation is flawless, automatic or manual mode, downshift or upshift.

Engine and transmission are linked by several electronic modules and the electronic throttle, and there were no glitches we could find. The engine and transmission are isolation-mounted with an electro-hydraulic mounting system to cancel vibration at idle. Lexus quotes a 0-60 mph time of 6.8 seconds, which is certainly competitive in the segment.

Two important additions of standard equipment on the ES for 2007 are traction control and stability control which, when combined with this new chassis, allow sporting drivers to do maneuvers that no previous ES would do, and quickly. The front struts and multi-link rear suspension are both very well isolated from the rest of the car, making for a quiet, smooth ride, with greater control of pitch and body roll than the outgoing car.

We think the ES could use more tire on the ground than the standard 215/55R17s it comes with (there is an optional 10-spoke wheel package, but it uses the same size tires). We'd like a little more steering feel in the corners and on the highway, but otherwise the speed-related power steering is good and solid.

Although the brakes themselves are average in size for this class, the electronic control package that comes with them makes them very powerful and very repeatable, with no sign of brake fade after a hard workout. Because this is an entry-luxury sedan and not a sports car, the ABS, traction control and stability systems intervene early and often to keep the car going in the intended direction, so you can't really hang it out, and that's okay with us.

Believe it or not

todays ES is faster, quieter, and more luxurious than the first generation, V8-powered LS 400, and packs technology thats miles more advanced than what Lexus engineers were dreaming of nearly two decades ago. And while the ES isnt the most glamorous, quickest, or most luxurious Lexus on the market, in its niche as an entry-level luxury car it has been leading, and will most likely continue to lead the segment. Lexus hopes to sell 70,000 units of the ES next year, which is a figure much larger than most expected.
Old 05-25-06, 12:49 PM
nstan20
Driver School Candidate

Default Newsday, Melville, NY., Road Test Column

www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/05/19/1657048.htm

Quick Reply: ES 350 Reviews Official Thread