ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Bad day in my new ES300

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-03, 06:03 PM
WHEELRZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad day in my new ES300

I just picked up my 2003 ES 300 on Tuesday. I went to NJ today and while driving through NY I got rear ended. The guy ended up hitting me 3 times. Not even a week old and I got hit. What a day. My Benz was hit about 3 weeks ago while it was parked, someone backed into it. I know now in the future not to buy brand new cars.
Old 08-16-03, 07:38 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that hurts. I'm very sorry to hear of your misfortune. But on the brighter side......these damages can be fixed up to look like new. Whether you buy new or used you are always a target for the idiotic drivers that are filling up the roads!!

Last edited by amf1932; 08-16-03 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-16-03, 07:53 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

forget the car for now.......are YOU ok?

Did you get checked out. If any soarness develops, get to your dr. immediately. Cars are replaceable, people are not.

ok, now back to the car. How bad, any pics? There was recently a pic in last weeks Newsweek of an 03 ES that got rear ended at 30 mph. No damage to the interior cabin. Crumple zones worked perfectly.
I have to know, how does someone hit you in the rear 3 times?

steviej
Old 08-17-03, 05:21 AM
WHEELRZ
Driver School Candidate

I will get pics up today or tomorrow. Backs and necks are killing us. We plan on going to the drs. That is a good question how he hit us 3 times, the cops said how did you hit him more than once and the guy couldn't explain it.
Old 08-17-03, 11:27 AM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Yeah the great news is that with a good bodyshop place, only someone trained to get "under and behind the paint" will ever know.

The bad news is that your value, even if only cosmetic just took a turn for the worse. Very sorry for you :'(

personally when I advise people wanting to buy new cars (which has been a great deal over the last two years)

I always advise buying cars off a 1 year lease. You've allready had the greatest amount of single year depreciation in the car. Far and wide enough to have anything abused on the car completely repaired or replaced in most instances...
Old 08-17-03, 01:18 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Toysrme
I always advise buying cars off a 1 year lease. You've allready had the greatest amount of single year depreciation in the car. Far and wide enough to have anything abused on the car completely repaired or replaced in most instances...
Yeah better to buy a car off a 1 year lease that never had an oil change but new is new

Glad your alright man and get to the doctor and get checked out, most importantly I hope the other guy was insured and driving a car as nice as yours cause their usually not, don't listen to what people say about your value going down, I've seen plenty of cars in accidents that where sold with no lose in value and the people drove them for years and then sold them with no lose of value except the usual, mileage and wear thing that happens to all cars.
Old 08-17-03, 04:59 PM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

GO TO THE CHIROPRACTOR 3x A WEEK FOR 3 MONTHS. AFTER THAT THE INSURANCE COMPANY WILL IMMEDIATELY SETTLE FOR $4500 OR WAIT IT OUT AND GO FOR $10K. Two of my friends just had this happen (in my accident) and that's there offer(s)
Old 08-23-03, 07:57 AM
WHEELRZ
Driver School Candidate

The insurance guy came and there is $3,000 worth of damage, I tried to post pics but the pics were to big. Anyone help me posting the pics?
Old 08-23-03, 08:23 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

use a photo editing program like Photoshop, or Paintshop Pro. Microsofts Photo Editor will even work just to resize your pictures and resave.
bring the pixel down to 400x300 or something like that.
Pics have to be less than about 100k in file size. Save it as a medium compressed file or high compressed file and that gets you down below 100k . try that.

steviej

on the $3 grand damage, did your airbags go off from the rear end contact? That has to be $4 grand right there. Isn't this the triple hit in the back and only $3000. Get another appraisal. Was this your insurance or their insurance guy?

I got bumped and scratched back in Jan. No dents, just sanding, repainting and clear coat, etc. $1300.

Last edited by steviej; 08-23-03 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-23-03, 08:24 AM
pkchin
Driver

I'm sorry, but if he hit you three times, I doubt that there is only 3k worth of damage. I was hit in the left rear and it didn't look like much damage at all, but after ecerything was repaired, it was over $2,500 to replace rear bumper cover, paint a small section of the left rear body panel and whatever was underneath.

Idiots like the one that hit you really burn me up

Last edited by pkchin; 08-23-03 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-23-03, 11:33 AM
WHEELRZ
Driver School Candidate

it was his insurance company that appraised it, I am taking it to the lexus dealer on Tuesday and have them look at it so they can order the parts that they need. I will work on compressing the photos.
Old 08-23-03, 01:52 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

Can't wait for the photos!

EDGE2 You can replace the entire motor or transmission in some cars for what the first year of depreciation sets in for.

03 ES - $32,300.00
02 ES w 8000 miles - $30,475

Not only that but I'm spotting you 4K miles average driving in a year.
Do the math for yourself. Nearly any damage done can easily and cheaply be repaired while still comming out in the clear.

Not only that, but that's only in the cases where you see damage done, which is definately going to be in the bottom chances. Besides, you act like most dealers wont fix the small problems caused by a years worth of driving anyways...

Last edited by Toysrme; 08-23-03 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-23-03, 03:39 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Toysrme
I perfer new over used but their are some preowned vehicles I would lease
Old 08-23-03, 04:39 PM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

$3,000 sounds like a big scratch on a Lexus! Take it to a Caliber Collision Center.

Don't listen to LexDiamond.....you'll have to sell the new car to pay for the criminal defense attorney to defend the insurance fraud charges that may follow!
Old 08-23-03, 08:03 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

have your insurance company do an appraisal too. Let them drag it out in court.

If this were my accident, in MA, my insurance co. sends out the appraiser because my car got hit. My insurance pays out to the body shop so that the damage is repaired as soon as possible. Then my insurance co. goes after the insurance company of the driver that hit me.

In the bump that I had in Jan, I had to have the car repaired because it was less than a year old. I could walk with the settlement.

Don't forget to get rental car coverage. You shouldn't have to pay out of your pocket. Also make sure they allow for a comparible replacement. You don't deserve to drive a Focus when you are paying premiums on a Lexus.

steviej

Quick Reply: Bad day in my new ES300