ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Cross Drilled Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-03, 10:39 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cross Drilled Rotors

Does anyone have a set of them on their ES? My factory rotors are just about done for, so I was considering upgrading to a set of brembos. I keep seeing auctions pop up on ebay for them, such as these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2427137979

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2427244411
Old 08-09-03, 05:13 AM
ikrules
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have them on my es although i am going to sell my car soon.
what is good about them: You can stop much faster with rotors and full metallic or semi-metallic brake pads.
what is not to like them: You can feel more vibration through the car when stopping hard due to i guess the holes in the rotors. Also if you don't drive your car too often your rotors will start to squeak and it's annoying. I have put since factory brake pads, but they wear out faster than before but much better to have them wear out faster than have squeaky brakes.

I hope this helps
Old 08-09-03, 06:07 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think skperformance has them, too.

steviej
Old 08-09-03, 09:31 AM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

I would nearly gaurentee the vibration under hard stoping is due to two things.

1) you didn't break in the pads and rotors
2) under a hard stop you warped the rotor slightly

On another note... Don't buy drilled rotors. Even if they are Brembo's. They serve no purpose with modern brakes. Just get a nice slotted set. They work better. Why?

1) You have a much greater ability to clear brake dust
2) You're not going to have a chance of stress fracturing after hard stops
3) You're not giving up as much mass in the rotor, meaning the rotor can hold more heat right out, which is a good thing

The only thing ny type of drilled rotor has going for it is looks... WHich IMHO is the absilutly dumbest thing you can trade the most important system in the car for.

If you're going to go with a drilled set, you might as well be getting an OEM toyota set that "looks pretty".

FYI drilled and slotted rotors work WORSE thanEITHER DRILLED or SLOTTED by themselves.

There is no "best of both worlds" here. It's either pick one or the other and if you're not happy with the stopping power of OEM toyota brakes, get a good set of slotted. Best performance, with the least amount of sacrificing. Which in our case, is only price; where-as with drilled, you're only getting looks, while sacraficing everything else.

And that pretty much says what I have to say about drilled/slotted rotors.
Old 08-09-03, 09:36 AM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

Just a followup.

Even with Brembo's. It's not the holes that give them such an advantage over OEM rotors.

It's 100% the metal formulation. The metal they use can both hold more heat, and dissipate it to the air quicker than what most "normal" rotors can by far.
Old 08-11-03, 07:15 PM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

I have to back ToysRme I have heard slotted are better and drilled are mearly for looks.
Old 08-11-03, 09:34 PM
ikrules
Rookie

I don't know about what other people think ,but i think cross drilled are far better than slotted to me, as i tried the slotted ones in my friend's acura tl-s before and after. Compared that to mine, cross drilled were much faster when used with high performance brake pads. I actually tried to measure the difference just before i got them replaced, and after i got mine and broke them in. The stopping distance was decreased 3/4 of original. Only disadv i think would be that the brake pads would kick in to stop a little bit after than the regular rotors, i dunno why
Old 08-12-03, 07:03 AM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

<cough> Well maybe his acura stops faster to begin with

Just trust me when I tell you this. Drilled rotors are a hold-over from an era long ago when they didn't have a suitable material to build brake pads out of (i.e. the 1950's). You think they gas up now? Not very much at ALL. Well they use to gas up horribly.
That's the only advantage drilled has over slotted.

Basically drilled rotors fix a problem that hasn't been a problem for decades. The only other advantage drilled has is in the wet. They clear water off the rotors abit quicker and you'll stop better.

On the other side of the fence, slotted can clear a larger amount of brake dust out in the same amount of time. Which can increase stopping power slitly, but more importantly, helps the wear on brake pads.

Not only that, but unless you're buying rotors straight from Porche, you are going to be prone to rotor-crackage. Don't let anyone here argue that, with the way people drive on this forum, trust me when I say you'll crack it eventually.

I will go ahead and disagree with what a good deal of people say on this forum about brake pads (EBC) don't use them. You can wear those things out in a monthly of normal driving once you get into either drilled or slotted.