ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Help! Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-03, 08:27 PM
newdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Car Won't Start

Ok. I bought a 95 ES300, 100k (Japanese Toyota Windom). Regular oil changes and seemed to be well looked after.

After two days the car just cut out when I was driving. I popped the hood and the 30 fuse had shorted out. I replaced it and all seemed good. Within two minutes it had gone again. I took it to a garage and they simply re-replaced the fuse. Obviously it hapenned again. This time it was impossible to put any size fuse into the fuse socket. Even after leaving the car over night, I tried to put in another in the morning- just so I could get to the garage, and the fuse instantly sparked out, before i'd had a chance to even turn on the engine.

I'm pretty useless when it comes to cars but the temp guage seemed perfect although the engine seemed a little hot (but I don't know the car yet so this could be normal).

The former owner fitted an autostart unit (ie- remote starting) himself which the garage suggested might be the problem... apparantly it could have come loose and started rubbing against the radiator... causing a short circuit.

The a/c compressor is dead but I knew about this before buying it. Could it be linked in any way?

He also told me that he'd had to change the fuse once himself after having to do an emergency stop. But he drove me everywhere in the car, let me test drive it and explained everything to do with the car to me. I know the guy and honestly can't believe he'd have gone on a four hour return journey with me if he thought the car was going to break down.

Everything electronic works fine. All the other fuses are ok. It's just this 30 fuse that keeps blowing.

ANY help would be incredibly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-31-03, 10:05 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what is the 30 amp fuse located for
s it a lexus fuse or an aditional fuse holder connected to teh batteryit may be teh remote starter locking up caused by the alarm
which is keeping it from starting by starter kill being on
and a fuel pump one also if connected
the emergency stop had probably shifted some of the wiring
and now you have a short
Old 07-31-03, 10:27 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on... Grammer and spelling don't have to be perfect, but atleast attempt a reread!

Anwhos!
Nothing to do with the A/C compressor. Even if it were dragging it's nothing more than drag on the engine, and eventually(or in short order) the dragging(or frozen) pully will slice the belt into pieces, so no more wieght on the engine at that point! So the problem is gone heh!

AFA the temp gauge, so long as it's STABLE and NOT in the top 1/3rd you'll be OK. It is summer after all.

On to the fuse problem. Obviously you're sticking the right fuse back in... I mean come on! We assume it's a given you can stick the right fuse in after you find that the old one was blown and it was a 30A fuse LoL!

Cut the power to the autostart unit and see how long it lasts. Nothing to short out then. (just make sure it's secure and not falling into the radiator like they said)