ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES owners with IS300 17's...need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-03, 06:22 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Badams, as for puttting 02 lights and grille on your 99, I don't blame you, I would have done the same thing. I can't stand the 99-00 tails!!!! They look odd and outdated.

I'm thinking about dropping the ES with B&G springs 1.6" and Toxico struts (KyleHarty has this setup) when the IS chrome rims go on, but I have to examine the suspension clearance first. I am having a tough time convincing myself to spend $800 on modifying one of the most finely tuned luxo suspensions on the road today

About the RX330, lots of people on this site seem to like it. After driving the loaner, I love it in every way but the rear end styling is just goofy to me, the slanted rear window resembles a minivan too much. The 330 is nice, but there's nothing wrong with the RX300 so I couldn't justify spending the extra $$$ for a 330.
Old 07-24-03, 07:49 AM
badams
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you (XenonES3) will probably want to lower your car after you put the IS rims on. Even though there really isn't that much difference between the height of the old ES300 rims/tires and the new IS300 rims/tires, the gap between the fenders and tires looks bigger because of the sidewall difference on the IS tires. If you look at the side picture of my car, then the side picture of FrankJrs car, you'll see that FrankJrs does look a lot better...at least I think so.

I don't think mine looks odd the way it is now, but I do think it would look better being lower. I'm not really worried about losing the ride, I'm more worried about losing the $800 for the cost of new struts and springs. I don't know what your situation is, but I have a house payment (in California) and other bills that seem way more important than dropping my car 1.5 inches. I just need a few fat friends to ride around with me all the time...of course that won't help the front much.

badams
Attached Thumbnails ES owners with IS300 17's...need some help!-fatty-s-with-pizzas.jpg  
Old 07-29-03, 06:53 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA that was funny

Yeah, I know what you mean, $800 just to reduce fender gap in the wheel wells?

I don't have any living expenses since I'm 17 ( 1 more year of high school to go), but I purchased the car and do all maintenance/modifications with my own hard-earned money. That's the sweetest feeling.

$800 is huge chunk of change and I'd rather save and invest that money...who knows what'll happen in the future.

....now that I think about it....my turnabout date last school year spent $800 on herself and me....hummer limo, exclusive restaurant, afterparty, hotel....damn, i might have to return the favor for homecoming
Old 07-29-03, 09:10 AM
badams
Pole Position

In response to XenonES3

Thanks for making me feel really, really old. My 15 year High School reunion is this coming up in a few months. The worst part is that it seems like just the other day I was 17 and about to graduate.

No, the really, really worst part is I have been busting my butt working for 17 years and I have a car one year newer than you. Ugh, where does my money go?

My advice, save your money and buy real estate. Buy a lot of real estate! I dumped a lot of money on various cars, lowering them, new rims, new engines, engine swaps, lifting them, rolling them, over and over (oops). I wish I had spent that money on real estate, any real estate, homes, land, whatever. I wouldn't be working as hard as I am now...of course I am at work right now...I'm not working that hard!

Just get the IS300 rims/tires. Spend the rest on real estate.

Life goes faster and faster every year you get older. Enjoy being 17, you'll never get to be that age again.

badams
Old 07-29-03, 08:13 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry Badams...didn't mean to sound that way

I'm impressed, your only in your very early 30's but have a home in California, two Lexus', and who knows what else...?

That's very impressive.

I plan on going to medical school and maybe even work on a PhD after college and that would set me back $300K+ unless I received a scholarship. That means, on a $50K annual income for 3-5 years during residency at the completion of medical school and then eventually private practice assuming I receive a base salary of $150,000....I'd be in my early 40's before I can even GET OUT OF DEBT!!!!!!!

You're right, while I'm 17, I'll enjoy it
Old 07-29-03, 10:04 PM
badams
Pole Position

I was just kidding about the whole age thing. Most people that know me hardly ever take me seriously, I'm always cracking jokes.

Med school huh? Very cool, I wish I knew what I wanted to be when I was 17. Most of the time I was happy scoring a 6 pack of beer and making out with some chick at the drive-in. Hey, you know what? My goals haven't changed that much in 15 years! Just kidding!

Keep up on the med school thing. I frequently work at the Stanford University Hospital in Palo Alto, California (I'm a Systems Engineer). The whole hospital thing is really cool, if I was smarter I would've liked to go into the medical profession. I love when I get to work there!

I guess I should talk about "Lexus" now...since this is "ClubLexus"...go buy those IS300 rims/tires!

badams
Old 05-06-08, 02:36 AM
Krazzyyo
Driver School Candidate

it thought the offset is +45?
Old 05-06-08, 07:27 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Wink

Originally Posted by Krazzyyo
it thought the offset is +45?
on using but:
Attached Thumbnails ES owners with IS300 17's...need some help!-holy-thread-revival-batman.jpg  
Old 05-06-08, 08:26 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Don't forget about my ride!

Hey guys...I guess better late then never so here's a picture of my ride.

Tein S-Tech coils 1.7" drop front and 1.4" drop rear with KYB GR-2 struts.

I honestly think that the drop for this car is perfect, not too low and enough to make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails ES owners with IS300 17's...need some help!-es300_mar3108_11.jpg  
Old 05-06-08, 08:41 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
on using but:
Lmao on the Batman poster Slooooooow!
Old 01-02-09, 06:58 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Just an FYI on this for others who are considering IS wheels on their ES...

I'm going to pic up a set of 17" IS 250 AWD wheels (10 spoke) off a 2008....they will fit 'plug & play' according to my dealer on my 05 ES (even though they are a half inch wider overall 8" compared to 7.5").....with the offset being +45.

I will post pics when I get them installed on my new Toyo Garit KX winter tires.
Old 08-20-09, 10:09 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

BUMP!

3ES owners!

Are you able to run 215/50R17 tires without issue?! On IS300 wheels of course...

Anyone lowered with this tires size? how is it on bumps?

Let me know asap!

feel free to PM if anything
Old 08-21-09, 07:18 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I just ordered these for my 97 ES. Did you know that there are two versions, with one being 7" thick and the other 7.75 according to the wheel dealer.

Also, do you need new lugs? I have a nice set of chrome lugs on the car and am not sure why these would not work with the new wheel?
Old 09-03-11, 07:54 AM
es3002001
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2001 es300 that is having a rear left tire rubbing against strut tower but the other side has a 1/2 in clearance. Tried replacing the strut but still having the same problem. Any help would be helpful Thanks
Old 09-03-11, 08:59 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by es3002001
I have a 2001 es300 that is having a rear left tire rubbing against strut tower but the other side has a 1/2 in clearance. Tried replacing the strut but still having the same problem. Any help would be helpful Thanks
I think you need spacers. I am running 10mm spacers on the rears and it is working fine.

Quick Reply: ES owners with IS300 17's...need some help!