ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'02-'05 ES Transmission Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-03, 08:33 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like at least one US owner of an '02 ES has been able to get the 89666-33442 chip. Hopefully, they'll come out with the ULEV-compliant version by the end of the year.
Old 07-20-03, 11:10 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kreativ, do you have any details as to who it was or where in the US it was installed.

I was told that I could put "that" the chip if I wanted to, but it would cost $1700. My sercive manager told me recently that if I wanted the fix and wanted Lexus to cover the cost, then I would have to wait until it was officially released. He also informed me that Lexus was very very close to a release.

I am waiting......patiently........but I continue to stay on Lexus. I don't want them lightening up on the project if they think people have forgotten about it.

steviej
Old 07-23-03, 05:11 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

steviej,

rtorreca on the Edmunds.com board had the chip installed. He's a US owner, but I don't recall exactly where in the US.

#3791 of 3818 89666-33442 chip by rtorreca (US) Jun 22, 2003 (2:25 am)
I had it installed on mine but the hesitation is still there but to a lesser degree. It feels somewhat different and is a little better but can't say it fixed the problem. Sort of fourth-rate transmission improved to third-rate.

He also informed me that Lexus was very very close to a release.
Unfortunately, they've been singing that song to dissatisfied ES owners for well over a year. But I'd guess Lexus will have the transmission behavior corrected by the time the '04 ES goes on sale (Sept./Oct. '03 if they follow the same pattern as the past 2 years).

Last edited by kreativ; 07-23-03 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-06-03, 05:25 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Lexus customer service has announced that on 8/5/03 a NEW Technical Service bulletin went out in regards to a software update on the 2002/2003 Transmission "concern".

Technical Service bulletin# TC004-03

I will contact my dealership Thursday AM and find out details.

steviej
Old 08-06-03, 05:48 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Thanks Steviej........That's great news!! You can be sure I'll be on the phone with my dealer tomorrow morning.
Old 08-06-03, 06:46 PM
concord
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Bulletin

Well I was going to post the ALL NEW service Bulletin but Steve stole it from me Hi Steve.

I will let you all know tomorrow evening what my local (Illinois) service department says when I mention it to them during my 1000 mile check up. Hopefully they are aware of it.

John

PS. I'm also going to bring in your letter from customer service Steve in case they play ignorant.

Last edited by concord; 08-06-03 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-06-03, 06:49 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

hi John,
welcome aboard!

I didn't mean to steal, it was one of those things that just has to be shouted out.

steviej.
Old 08-06-03, 06:53 PM
concord
Driver School Candidate

Hey Steve,.

Your absolutely right. I hope everyone calls their service department AND customer service at 180025lexus. Keep the pressure on. For $35k this problem should not exist. My fingers are crossed

John
Old 08-07-03, 08:08 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I spoke to Lexus Corporation this morning to verify this service bulletin(TSB-TC004-03). They were very aware of it. I than called my local Lexus dealer who also knew about it and I have an appointment tomorrow morning to have this updated ECM software installed. Great!!!
Old 08-07-03, 02:05 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Unhappy

I went by my dealership today after hearing the news.
I have to say I am a bit discouraged. The service manager, whom I trust very much, said he does not want to put the fix in my car.
He explained that he did get the fix and they tried it on several cars on the lot that demonstrated the so called problem.

Basically he said the fix makes the tranny act like a cheap car. The shifts are not smooth and quiet. The tranny supposedly is still searching for gears and the driver doesn't really know what gear he is in. I did not drive any "fixed" ES but I will trust him.

I suggest to anyone that goes for the fix, ask to test drive the car after the ECU is updated. If you do not like the fix, go back to your old ECU. Tell the dealership to contact Lexus and tell them you are not pleased with the fix.

If, however, you are impressed with the fix, please post immediately with your take on the new shift logic. I will have to rethink what my service manager advised.

The ES world eagerly awaits user opinions.

steviej
Old 08-07-03, 02:45 PM
skang5
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Tranny hesitates too much~~~~

hey, concord, what delership did you contact with? i purchased my car from Woodfield Lexus,and i sent several e-mail to my service manager, but i haven't got any message from him regarding this matter..
Feel so sad~~~~.
Old 08-07-03, 03:32 PM
concord
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everyone,

Hey Skang5 I bought it at Arlington Lexus. Here is what I found out today.

I went in for my 1000 mile ck and spoke with the service manager. I told him I have the sluggish/hesitant transmission and that Lexus C/S said that a new fix was in. He was WELL aware of it and did not need my reference #. He said they have done 2 so far. Both cars acted finiky(sp) when first fired up but then smoothed out. He told me the download takes about 1 hour so I couldn't get it done today. I told him I was going to give him a call in 1 week and asked if he could check with those that had the upgrade and get their thoughts.

Steve,
WOW, I almost find it hard to believe your service advisor. Lexus's update makes the car shift hard and the tranny searches??? After 1 year of looking for a fix? If it's true what is HE doing to inform Lexus of this. I'm not saying I don't believe him it just doesn't sound right. The transmission has fuzzy logic and takes time to learn the drivers habits. How long did he have the upgraded software installed? Hmmmmm who knows? Just hoping he's spoken too early.

Only those that get it done and update us will know for sure. I will let you know what my service advisor reports next week guys. I hope it's good news

John
Old 08-07-03, 07:16 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

I wonder if my service manager was referring to what kreativ posted in the 7/23/03 entry in this thread (scroll back).
I would quote it, but is has quotes already quoted.

time will tell.

steviej
Old 08-08-03, 09:42 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Here's the story of the upgrade(TSB-TC004-03) that was done on my '03ES.

1- The original ECM is re-programmed NOT changed.

2- The new software is downloaded from the Lexus Corporation to the dealers computer.

3- Dealer transfers this new software to a scan tool and than plugs it into the socket which than uploads to the existing ECM. This upload takes about 1 hour. The scan tool tells the mechanic whether the update was successful or not.

My first findings:

I was told that the fuzzy logic will adapt to my driving habits after using it for awhile. Right from the start I noticed that acceleration, downshifts and upshifts were crisper. It seemed to know what gear to go into without the hesitation. I tried this at slow speeds(0-40mph) as well as road speeds(40-80mph).

I never had the shudder that some owners complained of, so I can't tell whether that has been corrected, but from all indications it looks like it would be.

Shifts were as smooth as before this upgrade.

So far I'm very pleased with this transmission fix and I'll report back if I find anything to the contrary.

Good job Lexus.

Last edited by amf1932; 08-08-03 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-09-03, 10:57 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I spoke too soon!! After driving my car with the updated program and giving it enough time to learn my driving habits I find that this fix is totally unsatisfactory. The quote below was written by another dissatisfied Lexus owner that had his transmission updated with Lexus's newest software. It expresses my feelings exactly. This was posted on Edmunds website(post #115)

"TSB-TC004-03 is not a fix. Lexus has failed miserably to remedy the problem many of us have experienced with transmission for so long now.

The problem, that still exists and appears will never be fixed, is an utter lack of power when the gas pedal is pressed firmly at around 40mph and dangerously the RPMs shoot up as high as 5,000 RPM almost to red line. The gear then sticks and only when you take the foot off the gas pedal do the RPMs come down and the gear then "pops" into place.

Scary stuff when you are trying to pass a big rig while merging onto the highway going 40-60mph. There's not much time to react going this fast and only time will tell when someone will get seriously hurt from this severe problem.

The "fix" with this TSB, if you will, fixes only the cosmetic and more noticeable poor driving characteristics of the transmission so many of us unfortunate 2002-2003 ES300 owners have experienced over the last year and half. The shift points have changed, allowing for the vehicle to more appropriately adjust to our driving styles. The hesitation, shuddering, and fumbling for gears is not as pronounced as before. However, as I have said above, this is no fix for the more serious problem with our transmissions. Which is the considerable loss of power in acceleration with the RPMs going to dangerous levels while driving above 40mph.

Signed-
Very Irritated and Disappointed Lexus Customer"

Quick Reply: '02-'05 ES Transmission Fix!