ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Blank key cut and then attached to another remote??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-03, 07:52 AM
SlashBecks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blank key cut and then attached to another remote??

Ok I tried looking for this specific topic, but I didn't quite find what I needed. If someone knows otherwise, please redirect me to the appropriate post...

I am planning on getting a used remote key from ebay for a '96 ES. I have a locksmith here who cuts Lexus keys, but all he has are the generic plastic heads. So, can I take the shaft of the new key, and attach it to the remote that I get from ebay??
Old 06-12-03, 08:49 AM
SlashBecks
Rookie

to make things clearer, what i mean is that, after detaching the new shaft from the generic plastic head, can i insert it into the remote by opening the little philips screw?
Old 06-12-03, 09:39 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's see if I can get this straight... you want to remove the new cut key from the locksmith's, and insert it into the Lexus remote? I am not sure if it's possible to actually do that, but obviously the only thing that is even remotely removable is the battery. You should probably inquire this to your locksmith.
Old 06-12-03, 10:43 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know whether there was a chip in the '96 ES's remote.....if there was than no I don't think the car would start with the remote from eBay even though you could transfer the new cut key.

Alan
Old 06-12-03, 11:58 AM
SlashBecks
Rookie

I believe it was proven in previous posts that used keys can be reprogrammed in the '96 ES..correct me if I'm wrong...

I realize that what i want to do sounds a bit implausible, but then I'm curious why these used keys are selling so well on ebay? what do people do with them if transferring in a new cut shaft is not possible? that's what made me think that there has to be a way...

lexus8k i did ask the locksmith about this, and he said he had major doubts about it, and also said that he wouldn't do it, simply because it might screw things up with the remote and/or the key...
Old 06-13-03, 05:47 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 96 doesn't have an engine immobilizer chip. Thus, the only thing need to start the car is the proper key cut. The only thing in the key is a radio transmitter for keyless entry. Even the headless spare will start a 96.
Old 06-13-03, 11:45 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

that's what i gathered squarehat...thanks for confirming it...

so, still no ideas as to what people do with those used keys from ebay, if they're not doing what i suggested in this thread? maybe i should email those guys bidding for those keys...
Old 06-14-03, 11:05 AM
SlashBecks
Rookie

ok apparently those guys from ebay are trying to use just the remote fob, something i told them that they cannot do without inserting the key in the hole to program it first...

anyway, i talked to the locksmith here again, and now he's willing to break the plastic head from the new key, file the shaft and make it fit the remote, but that all depends on how the key fits into the remote head.

anyone opened one of their keys? does the philips also hold the key in?

once i get all the parts i need, i'll try to get this done and post the results, if it works it might save some money for all those in need of a remote key.
Old 01-13-11, 04:31 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Default Any solution for the Remote Key Issue?

I opened my remote on a 1992 ES300 and the key appears well attached to the remote circuit board. Does anyone know how to swap out a cut key for a new blank in an old remote? Web link mysecuritypro.com sells a Lexus shell with uncut key. I asked them if my circuit would fit inside, and they replied that it looks like my key is an older style and probably would not fit.

One low cost solution, buy a used remote, cut off the key portion, program it to unlock the doors and carry a non remote properly cut key to use for the ignition.

Meanwhile, here is a photograph of the HYQWDT-B remote opened up.

Attached Thumbnails Blank key cut and then attached to another remote??-remote-key-foto.jpg  
Old 01-15-11, 07:50 PM
ZGadson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rcpeters

I opened my remote on a 1992 ES300 and the key appears well attached to the remote circuit board. Does anyone know how to swap out a cut key for a new blank in an old remote? Web link mysecuritypro.com sells a Lexus shell with uncut key. I asked them if my circuit would fit inside, and they replied that it looks like my key is an older style and probably would not fit.

One low cost solution, buy a used remote, cut off the key portion, program it to unlock the doors and carry a non remote properly cut key to use for the ignition.

Meanwhile, here is a photograph of the HYQWDT-B remote opened up.

It's been asked if an uncut key can be swapped to a different remote, but does anyone know where I can actually get the blank shaft to fit the single button remote?

Last edited by ZGadson; 01-15-11 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 10:51 AM
philllyj
Rookie

I'm in the midst of attempting to do just this. When I bought my car I simple received a single master key. What Zgadson says is what i'd like to do with the single button remote, anyone have any knowledge of this?
Old 02-01-11, 11:57 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Smile Blank Remote Keys

I have come to the conclusion that no blank key is available for the remotes of the earlier ES300 models because the key is molded to the circuit module. They sell the 3 button remote shells with blank keys for later models; I looked at one and the design is very different and it would be a lot of work to accommodate the molded single button remote module if cut off from the old key into the newer model shell. A remote key supplier and a local locksmith confirmed this. However, if anyone has done this modification, please share your experience with us; if it comes out fine, I would like to do it.