ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Keeping me on my toes

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 06:38 AM
Jimynutz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping me on my toes

Well, me and my girlfriend have been putting on the miles on our 96 es300. Now the problem we're encountering is from a dead stop is when i accelerate it barely moves. It can't get out of its own way. Ill have to hold it in low gear other it's worse. Once it climbs to 4 grand its like what the honda kids say, vtec kicked in. It takes off like a bat out of hell.on the freeway ill give it enough gas for it to downshift and it does drop a gear but something is holding the engine back. A couple of seconds go by and it takes off. Up top tons of powe down low its embarrassing, sometimes i have to move over to the right because it won't accelerate but when it kickes in its like having nitrous hitting just wanted to know if anyone has had this problem and what did you have to do to fix it
Old 02-17-17, 07:41 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Is your check engine light on? If so, what are the error codes? The codes can be read with an OBDII reader (which can be purchased cheaply) or some auto parts stores will read them for free.

My first impression is that your es is in limp mode. Which means that something is seriously wrong. But that's just a wild guess based on your description.
The following users liked this post:
Jimynutz (02-21-17)
Old 02-17-17, 12:08 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I wonder if it's dragging. You would see this kind of thing if the rear parking brake (e-brake in american), is on, just enough to be a problem. So if new brake pads had been fitted and they were too thick (sometimes happens), You can check for this easily. Just put the car somewhere flat, release all brakes, and put in neutral. try and push the car yourself. one person would be able to make it roll.

If it doesnt roll. get the back in the air so the tyres are off the ground just a bit, you can do it wheel by wheel if you want, try and turn them. repeat with the front.

I suggest you get the front fully up in the air. If both front wheels turn forwards and backwards together, there's an issue in the gearbox, they should turn one at a time, or one forwards, one backwards.
The following users liked this post:
Jimynutz (02-21-17)
Old 02-21-17, 11:20 PM
Jimynutz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your input. The check engine light is on i have not put a scanner on it. But i noticed that there seemed to be air escaping by the carbon canister, so i took the gas cap of and a burst of air came out. I drove it without the cap and it helped just a little. I checked every single line for leaks and nothing. I removed the battery to take the canister out. I blew out all the orifices and one was clogged. I put it all together and fired it up and it runs great. Since I removed the battery it cleared the check engine but a few miles later the light came back on andit still runs great. When it downshifts it still has a little bit of a hesitation before it takes off. I have videoon my phone that i can post once Ifigure out how to upload it. When i get a scanner on it ill post my progress. Going for 500k
Old 02-21-17, 11:21 PM
Jimynutz
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, its nothing mechanical brakes are fine
Old 02-21-17, 11:28 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

you'll really need to pull those codes and see what the ecu thinks is wrong.

Last edited by ES300NZ; 02-22-17 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-22-17, 09:18 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimynutz
Thanks for your input. The check engine light is on i have not put a scanner on it. But i noticed that there seemed to be air escaping by the carbon canister, so i took the gas cap of and a burst of air came out. I drove it without the cap and it helped just a little. I checked every single line for leaks and nothing. I removed the battery to take the canister out. I blew out all the orifices and one was clogged. I put it all together and fired it up and it runs great. Since I removed the battery it cleared the check engine but a few miles later the light came back on andit still runs great. When it downshifts it still has a little bit of a hesitation before it takes off. I have videoon my phone that i can post once Ifigure out how to upload it. When i get a scanner on it ill post my progress. Going for 500k
You need to get the code scanned. No one here is a fortune teller.

The gas tank is supposed to be pressurized.