ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Trunk leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 09:19 AM
Roddrickd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk leak

So I have an aftermarket sound system with two 12in subs and I grounded my amp and second battery where my tail lights are and one of the grounds were loose so I took the out and dropped and bolt, then I hear water. Sure enough my passenger side of my trunk was flooded, the part where my jack and tools are stored. At least 3 inches of water so I am assuming it has been flooding for a while. I was planning on sealing my weather stripping with flexseal or some kind of silicone based sealant. Has this happened to anyone else, and what is the fix? (1998 ES300)
Old 01-26-17, 09:21 AM
Roddrickd
Driver School Candidate

Old 01-26-17, 11:02 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Inside the wheel well remove the plastic protector and look for rust.
Old 01-26-17, 06:42 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

It's those tubes you see - roof drain plugs since the roof does not have drain channels like in standard cars that run down the windows... These run alongside the rear window and drain through the trunk - genius.... I know.

I'd suggest getting a blow gun [air tool attachment] and hooking it up. Find the ends of it [each corner, under the bumper, you'll see them] and then hit it!

DO NOT USE A HOSE - lol, I did this.... and I had about 1/4" of water in my driver side rear pass. footwell... SOAKED

It did clear it out quite a bit of crap and old leaves. For some reason the way the tubes are designed they would bypass them and leak directly into the trunk...
PS. Check you spare tire well.

Mine had water in all three compartments. After I cleaned out the tubes, I basically drilled a small hole [~9/64" or so] in the low corners of the two pockets, coated the inside with a rubberized under coating. Then for the spare tire well, take out tire/any crap you may have stored. You'll see a rubber gasket thing - about 1" in diameter, take it out [don't worry, it pops back in], and I drilled about four holes in the base of that cap 3/16", again this is the lowest point so water will drain on its own. I didn't end up undercoating this part since the paint was clean. I think I hit it with some silver just to freshen it up [car was silver]
Old 01-27-17, 10:10 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
It's those tubes you see - roof drain plugs since the roof does not have drain channels like in standard cars that run down the windows... These run alongside the rear window and drain through the trunk - genius.... I know.

I'd suggest getting a blow gun [air tool attachment] and hooking it up. Find the ends of it [each corner, under the bumper, you'll see them] and then hit it!

DO NOT USE A HOSE - lol, I did this.... and I had about 1/4" of water in my driver side rear pass. footwell... SOAKED

It did clear it out quite a bit of crap and old leaves. For some reason the way the tubes are designed they would bypass them and leak directly into the trunk...

Mine had water in all three compartments. After I cleaned out the tubes, I basically drilled a small hole [~9/64" or so] in the low corners of the two pockets, coated the inside with a rubberized under coating. Then for the spare tire well, take out tire/any crap you may have stored. You'll see a rubber gasket thing - about 1" in diameter, take it out [don't worry, it pops back in], and I drilled about four holes in the base of that cap 3/16", again this is the lowest point so water will drain on its own. I didn't end up undercoating this part since the paint was clean. I think I hit it with some silver just to freshen it up [car was silver]
Most likely. Had the same problem way back when on my 96...
Old 01-28-17, 06:56 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

That sunroof drain hose doesn't even need to be blocked. It could easily come out of the wheel well hole where it exists to the outside. It will than pour all of the water inside the wheel well. Make sure its secured properly, and that it does exit the wheel well to the outside.
Old 03-18-17, 01:57 PM
Roddrickd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL

thank you, I ought to try that out when the weather gets better!
Old 03-21-17, 06:42 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had water in the right rear in the trunk a few years back. I traced it to the taillight. The foam gaskets sealing the holes the studs poke through get old. I removed it, put some RTV type sealant on it and re-installed and its been fine since. Just something to check.