ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2000 Lexus ES300 driver side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-17, 03:58 AM
yvjoshi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Lexus ES300 driver side mirror

Hi folks,

The driver side mirror on my 2000 Lexus ES developed some black patches. To fix this, I first ordered a stick on mirror and put it on the older glass. This worked for a while but then both the mirrors fell out. I ordered another mirror glass and tried to stick it in to the current casing, but I think in this process I have damaged the mirror movement assembly and not managed to get the glass in anyways. Bottomline - I am now left with a driver side mirror case whose mechanism doesn't quite work, and no glass.

Ideas on how to fix this? As a last resort, I guess I can replace the entire driver side mirror assembly. If that is the choice, where can I buy the driver side mirror assembly [FYI - I ordered one from Amazon that should fit my model year, and the mirror that was sent had a pin connector that did not quite fit: my mirror has a connector with 12 pins total - 8 in the top row and 2 + 2 in the bottom row].

Thanks!
Old 01-24-17, 06:44 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by yvjoshi
Hi folks,

The driver side mirror on my 2000 Lexus ES developed some black patches. To fix this, I first ordered a stick on mirror and put it on the older glass. This worked for a while but then both the mirrors fell out. I ordered another mirror glass and tried to stick it in to the current casing, but I think in this process I have damaged the mirror movement assembly and not managed to get the glass in anyways. Bottomline - I am now left with a driver side mirror case whose mechanism doesn't quite work, and no glass.

Ideas on how to fix this? As a last resort, I guess I can replace the entire driver side mirror assembly. If that is the choice, where can I buy the driver side mirror assembly [FYI - I ordered one from Amazon that should fit my model year, and the mirror that was sent had a pin connector that did not quite fit: my mirror has a connector with 12 pins total - 8 in the top row and 2 + 2 in the bottom row].

Thanks!
Your Original mirror, was probably both remote controlled, and heated, but it could also have been Auto Dimming. The mirror you got may not be auto dimming. (Those are more expensive). To determine if your original Mirror was auto dimming, look closely at the black rubber gasket that surrounds the glass. If that gasket is thicker on the driver's side mirror than on the passenger side mirror, than you had a dimming mirror. If both left and right gaskets are the same size, than your mirror was not auto dimming. This could explain the differences in the plugs.

Just hope that you still have the old mirror, so that you can compare.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 01-24-17 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
yvjoshi (03-21-17)