ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'95 ES300 radiator - what else to change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 11:39 AM
JCC511
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '95 ES300 radiator - what else to change?

Radiator swap needed. What else should I do while I am at it? I thought maybe upper hose, lower hose and radiator cap.

Napa has a lifetime warranty on theirs. Otherwise, I was thinking about paying an additional $5 or so to go with the Denso from them.

I noticed some seepage near the top and now more. Also starting to make a whiny noise. Temp gauge on the dash does not take long to go to the "H".
Old 01-21-17, 11:50 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,702 Likes on 2,287 Posts

OEM thermostat
Denso radiator
Toyota Long Life Coolant
Toyota rad cap
Upper/lower rad hoses (use OEM clamps)

The "whiny" noise could be from your power steering system (low fluid, leaks) which also powers the radiator fan.
Old 01-21-17, 11:56 AM
JCC511
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
OEM thermostat
Denso radiator
Toyota Long Life Coolant
Toyota rad cap
Upper/lower rad hoses (use OEM clamps)

The "whiny" noise could be from your power steering system (low fluid, leaks) which also powers the radiator fan.
What is the difference in using the Denso radiator vs NAPA with lifetime warranty and Toyota coolant vs NAPA universal long life coolant? Not being argumentative. Just curious. I was going to use NAPA hoses and clamps most likely as long as they are comparable to OEM.

I do really appreciate the advice.

I will definitely check the power steering fluid level and look for leaks.
Old 01-21-17, 12:35 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,702 Likes on 2,287 Posts

The Denso rad will match OEM exactly I don't know who makes the NAPA one it could be fine or not. You can save a few dollars and use universal coolant your choice, for critical stuff I always use OEM I know it works and has never failed me. Save $20 on a $2000 car if you think that's worthwhile.

OEM spring clamps always keep constant tension on the hoses screw clamps don't.
Old 01-21-17, 03:14 PM
JCC511
Pit Crew

Good to know on the clamps. I do not recall who they said makes the Napa one. They told me, but it did not sound familiar. Not a big price difference at all for the Denso. They just had the Napa already in stock.
Old 01-21-17, 09:42 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Denso is oem supplier, always first choice. As for all others, easy things lifetime option is fine. Some critical components in general, best stick with Denso. Radiator, for example, is something to go Denso if possible, but can use other brands. Hopefully it is as reliable.

As for lifetime vs oem, it depends. End links for example, local autoparts part is an easy choice. Alternator though seems great, is not a good option. Etc.

As for coolants, OEM is best but others are just as reliable. Remember there are many color variants and its not good to mix. Napa has orange, Prestone has green, etc. Reochem makes pink, blue, red, and green so that you can stick with "similar" to oem. Zerex Asian is an alternative to Toyota coolant that has a big following and it is even available in Walmart now. You can mix Toyota coolant with Zerex and it still stays similar color ...

For small or once in a while replacement, OEM part is a great investment. Agree with Lexus2000 that minor savings is not worth the re-do.
Old 01-22-17, 07:38 AM
JCC511
Pit Crew

Thank you for the information and help! I will be working on this likely tomorrow once I get the parts in hand. May have to order the Denso unless it is at a NAPA location close enough by to go to rather than waiting.
Old 01-23-17, 11:33 AM
JCC511
Pit Crew

The Denso has a lifetime limited warranty it turns out, so I am going to go with it for $16.20 more. Not sure about the other items you recommended.

OEM thermostat
OEM clamps(you explained the advantage of these)
Toyota radiator cap

I would rather not have to get the above from a dealer.

I see aftermarket by Balkamp(several) and Altrom radiator caps.I see Altrom and Napa. Replace the thermostat mounting gasket/housing seal as well?
Old 01-23-17, 09:16 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get from toyota dealer instead of lexus. Or online.
Thermostat can be Kuzeh, Toyota, or Stant OE-Exact
thermo 90916-03075, gasket 16325-62010
14078 STANT

cap
10233 STANT
16401-62090, 16401-67150 TOYOTA
19045-PR7-J24 HONDA

Sometimes NAPA repackages from oem supplier, you may get lucky. Open box and check it. You can reuse the ts gasket but a new one is really cheap.
Old 01-24-17, 02:43 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a brand new denso radiator that I only opened to check if you want to buy for cheap.. bought the radiator before junking my 95 es300, so yeah
make sure to use the proper coolant on these cars too

Don't forget the hose under the intake manifold too

Last edited by gabzor; 01-24-17 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-24-17, 04:16 AM
JCC511
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gabzor
I have a brand new denso radiator that I only opened to check if you want to buy for cheap.. bought the radiator before junking my 95 es300, so yeah
make sure to use the proper coolant on these cars too

Don't forget the hose under the intake manifold too
Installed the radiator as well as upper and lower hoses yesterday. Which hose is under the intake manifold? I disconnected the two trabsmission lines and the above hoses I mentioned. Otherwise, everything stayed connected.
Old 01-29-17, 03:35 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

It's called a bypass hose I believe, just do it next time when you take off the intake mani
Old 01-29-17, 07:07 AM
JCC511
Pit Crew

It's called a bypass hose I believe, just do it next time when you take off the intake mani
I misspelled radiator up there. What does the bypass hose do? I only saw the two hoses for coolant and the transmission hoses.

Also, I do not believe I got enough coolant into the system. No overheating, but it would only take a gallon and maybe another half gallon. I need to try to add more. Right? Keeping an eye on it.
Old 01-30-17, 07:59 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

To be honest, I'm not sure what the bypass hose does, but it connects 2 water inlets.. but I replaced it because I had the intake mani off, also replaced the intake mani gaskets, etc.. the bypass hose sits right above the knock sensors, so I just replaced it for preventative maintenance.. so next time the intake mani comes off do it, don't sweat it

As far as the coolant, make sure the heater runs hot, burp the bubbles, top it off when cold, and you should be good, just make sure you got the 50/50 ratio right
Old 01-30-17, 11:43 AM
JCC511
Pit Crew

To be honest, I'm not sure what the bypass hose does, but it connects 2 water inlets.. but I replaced it because I had the intake mani off, also replaced the intake mani gaskets, etc.. the bypass hose sits right above the knock sensors, so I just replaced it for preventative maintenance.. so next time the intake mani comes off do it, don't sweat it

As far as the coolant, make sure the heater runs hot, burp the bubbles, top it off when cold, and you should be good, just make sure you got the 50/50 ratio right
Thank you. The car seems to be running at about midway on the temperature gauge. I did not have to remove the intake manifold this time, but am trying to track down an oil leak. I think the head gasket and possible elsewhere. Separate topic.

Quick Reply: '95 ES300 radiator - what else to change?