ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What Android Auto/Apple Carplay compatible head unit have you installed ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 11:23 PM
jgcec
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Android Auto/Apple Carplay compatible head unit have you installed ?

Do you just use your phone or do you have a modern App based head unit?

I have been using just my phone recently with a bracket on the air vent,
but I would like to install a compatible Android Auto head unit and be totally voice based.

What Android Auto/Apple Carplay compatible head unit have you installed?

How long have you had it?

Who installed it?

How much did the head unit cost?

What did the installation cost?

Have you had any problems with it?

What would you install now, based on your past experience?
Old 01-07-17, 11:57 PM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

When you install an aftermarket head unit, you'll consider a few things.

Do you want Bluetooth (considering your desire to be "voice based", I'd assume you do.)?
Do you want a simple button interface or a feature-rich touch screen (the main distinction between single and double DIN head units)?
Do you want navigation or back-up camera functionality (again, double DIN)?
Are you willing to forego reliability for a cheap price (buying cheapo units from Dual/BOSS/eBay/etc vs. buying name brand Alpine/JVC/Kenwood/Pioneer/etc)?
Quality single DIN head units will run you around $75 and up. Double that for Double DIN.

Installation can be easily done yourself if you have the PATIENCE.
Basic installs will probably run you about $100. (That's not including the price of wiring harnesses, dashboard replacement kits, and various other accessories.)

I did mine myself for $100. I got a decent JVC headunit for $60 and the wiring/dash kit for $40. It took me an hour.
10 to take apart the dash, 10 to crimp on connectors, 1 to realize soldering is better, 19 to solder, 10 to put things back together, and 10 to just sit and enjoy the new radio.

The only problem I had was improperly grounding my head unit and blowing its pico fuse, which meant I had to install a ground-loop isolator later on in order to get rid of a buzzing problem.

Look on Crutchfield. They have an easy-to-use service that details the process of taking apart your dash/speakers/etc. If you buy products from them, they'll include the "Master Sheet" (aka the instruction manual) for your vehicle. Sonic Electronix is good, too. Both have easily navigable sites that have sorting to find you your perfect head unit. Cross reference products with Amazon or eBay and you can get some great prices.
Old 01-09-17, 11:52 PM
jgcec
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long ago did you install the head unit?
How is it holding up?
Any problems with it that could be traced back to loose connections?

I was thinking of installing the Pioneer App Radio 4 with a backup camera
and probably Sirius XM with it.
I am thinking of having Fry's or Best Buy install it.
Fry's is a California based electronics chain store.

I am worried that the installation may not be reliable.
Old 01-10-17, 02:15 AM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Installation depends on the employee doing it, so it's a lot about luck. Check out your local stores' reviews for car audio installs to get a good idea. Just looking a bit online and I'm spooked. Would never pay a big store to do an install. The employees are not paid enough to care. They'll do what is necessary with as little effort as possible--expect broken trim, scratched interiors, etc.

I installed the radio 4 years ago and have since removed it due to the car getting totaled out.
Held up great, since I soldered my connections instead of crimping, all the wires were secure.

I've got a feeling Fry's or Best Buy won't be pulling out the soldering iron to do your car, since crimping is much more convenient and faster, and time is money.
That's not to say that using crimp connectors or twist-and-tape is going to fail the day after, but don't be surprised if your radio stops working one day.
The following users liked this post:
jgcec (01-21-17)