ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

95 es300 no start condition

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 02:42 PM
CrowsCaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 es300 no start condition

Fuses are good, had to replace a few, battery was fully charged at O'Reillys. New fuel pump was just installed and is running. Starter is good and alternator is good. I have a full tank of gas. I'm at a loss. If anyone can help me out with some advice I'd greatly appreciate it.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 01-07-17, 11:28 AM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

So the engine is turning over ?
have you checked the air filter ? (clogged ?).
check the MAF/AFM, make sure it's plugged in properly. (would stop some engines running).

Check for spark, remove the lead from one cylinder, and use a brand new spark plug pushed against the cylinder head (not cam cover), for a good earth.
Is this the security system stopping you starting, is the security light on ?

can you provide more information on the tests you've done and perhaps some pictures of the engine bay (as many as you feel would be useful).
Old 01-07-17, 03:26 PM
CrowsCaw
Driver School Candidate

The terminals on the battery broke and completely drained the battery. That's what started it. A neighbor was helping me out and accidentally hooked the dead battery up backwards.. The marks wore down on the battery. So it arched and blew some fuses. The 120a fuse, and some little ones. I changed all of the broken fuses and got power back in the car. The alternator was tested the day before the battery was hooked up wrong. I took the battery to O'Reillys and had it tested and charged. It was just about completely dead. The machine asked if it was a 6 volt battery. Hooked it up and trying to turn left it on. I could hear the starter and engine turning over. Could not hear the fuel pump. Even with the access panel open. So I bought a new fuel pump and installed that. Now I can hear it running perfectly. However the car is still not turning on. Do you have to prime the fuel pump on this vehicle? I have a full tank of gas. No the air filter isn't clogged. I checked that.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 01-07-17, 03:28 PM
CrowsCaw
Driver School Candidate

Oh, and I'll get pictures asap.
Old 01-07-17, 07:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Hooking up the battery backwards can fry all manner of things like the main computer for example. But usually these cars are quite resilient you might have missed a blown fusible link. I don't see how you can hear the fuel pump I believe it only runs when cranking the engine and with the engine running. Also the fuel pump will not fry if you reverse voltage.
Old 01-07-17, 09:13 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

there's also a bunch of fuses inside the car, lower down on the drivers side (USA), or passengers (right hand drive). behind a coin carrier pop out.

- it's bound to be electrical in nature, you'll just have to work your way through it, or pay someone else too.
- suggest you take detailed notes of what you check, and what you change, this will probably come down to a single final issue, which might be impossible to find otherwise.
- not kidding about that last suggestion, might well be difference between failure and success.
Old 01-08-17, 02:13 AM
CrowsCaw
Driver School Candidate

ive already been through all of the fuses. Under the hood and inside the car. I've been through them many times. Not fusible links though. How many fusible links does this vehicle have? I figured out where one is last night. And yes, when I cranked the engine, there was no fuel pump sound. Now that I have a new fuel pump in, I can hear it running when I try to turn it on.
​​​​​​
Old 01-08-17, 10:19 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

is the security light turning off when you turn the engine over ? it might be that you have re-cut keys and the ecu has forgotten the extra keys that were programmed into it.
Old 01-09-17, 06:04 AM
CrowsCaw
Driver School Candidate

Tbh I don't know. I'll have to check that out today when I get off work
Old 01-10-17, 03:11 PM
CrowsCaw
Driver School Candidate

OK, so the car is still not starting. Pulled the spark plug, no fuel no spark. There's something draining my battery. I have to wait for daylight to search for that. Tried to jump the Te1 port with the E1 port and got no response. The check engine light didn't flash. Reset the security alarm, no change. So tomorrow I will connect my test bulb to the battery and start pulling fuses to start looking for that short

​​​​​
Old 01-10-17, 03:31 PM
azneastsid
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat.I just picked a 95 es300 recently for $400. It was running when I picked it up a few weeks ago when it was a lot warmer out. I'm assuming the cold must be affecting my car as it doesn't want to start, but does turn over. I replaced the battery because it was dead when I got it.

I'd suggest checking the crankshaft and camshaft sensors. (Which I plan on replacing on mines)
Old 01-11-17, 02:45 PM
CrowsCaw
Driver School Candidate

OK, so I attached my test light and pulled fuses one at a time. I found my fuse that made the light turn off. However it is not labeled on my fuse diagram. It doesnt even show that there is a fuse there... So I looked around a bit more and just messed with buttons and such in my car. Whatever that fuse is, it controls my brake lights and opens the door to my gas cap. Its a yellow fuse, looks like a 20 amp
​​​​​
Old 01-13-17, 02:52 PM
CrowsCaw
Driver School Candidate

My finger is resting on the little yellow fuse attached to my short. I cant work on the rest of my vehicles problems until i deal with this. Its quickly draining my battery.
This fuse is connected to my short.
But the fuse isnt listed on my diagram.
Heres the whole fuse box. Can anyone tell me what that fuse is connected to?
Old 01-13-17, 05:47 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Based on the schematic listed on the cover, there should be no fuse/nothing in that position

Also, was there ever a relay in position FAN 1?

Last edited by fortitude; 01-13-17 at 06:00 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-13-17, 09:03 PM
CrowsCaw
Driver School Candidate

No there wasn't. Keep in mind that this is a fuse box from a Toyota corolla. They used these in Lexus es 300 quite a bit.
​​​​ Unfortuneately that means that not everything is labeled. The fuse is connected to a circuit. Its on the same circuit as my brake lights and the door on my gas compartment.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

Quick Reply: 95 es300 no start condition