ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New g/box - no gears !

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 10:06 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default New g/box - no gears !

Hey Guys (& Gals),

I've just replaced the gearbox in our 1999 ES300 with a used gearbox that has 115,000kms on it from a wreaker that imports parts from Japan (very normal here). I also replaced the torque converter (it came with the g/box), the rear engine mount (new), the steering rack (new), the brake disc's (new), and pads (new) and a CV boot (new). The replacement G/box was very clean, had clean fluid in it, and had clearly been sitting on a shelf for 3-4 years like they told me.

I've had a couple of issues. But the most important one is the engine now runs (well), there are no leaks.
  1. The Steering rack is bleed (mostly), but seems to still whine a bit (will check the belt) and attempt to bleed again.
  2. One bolt on the left lower arm is 'threaded' into the subframe. After and accident with the rattle gun. I will attempt to re-tap it when I buy the correct tap, failing that I'll have to replace the subframe (since it's very cheap at a wreakers $40).
  3. Engine starts in park, it will allow movement between various gears but doesn't seem to be engaging. There is a small amount of resistance at the hub from the new brakes (quite slight).
Any thoughts on what to check ? I was going to ..
  1. check the fluid levels, perhaps the torque converter swallowed up most of the g/box fluid, but I did pre-fill it.
  2. read the toyota manual (i have it), and follow the steps in the image below (I haven't done this yet)

I'm busy with a few things today for a professional development course, so I can't turn any attention to the car until the weekend my time (5 days), but i'm also moving soon and i'd like to avoid having the car towed since it seems to be basically ready to drive bar these minor issues.

Last edited by ES300NZ; 11-21-16 at 10:10 PM. Reason: ~bad grammar`
Old 11-24-16, 07:11 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Start with the basics. Make sure your fluid level is good when cold. The torque converter needs to rotate to push enough pressure through the valve body and lock up your clutches. Hopefully there is no mechanical interference and something as simple as fluid level and/or gear selector.
Old 11-25-16, 07:23 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I filled the gearbox to the top of 'cold' on the dipstick, started it, then wrote this thread. I never checked again until today.

After starting the engine and g/box for the first time as a pair all that fluid went into the various places and the dip stick for the g/box was dry when I checked (when i started this morning).

I added two more liters of fluid, and correctly aligned the park neutral position switch. when I started it, it immediately had gears.

I put all the various plastic trim back on, test drove it. Works nicely so far. Steering alignment and Steering wheel center are a tad out, but that's to be expected since I've installed a new rack and tie rod ends.

I've missed this car, .. it's a very nice place to be.