ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Dash Cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-16, 08:58 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Dash Cams

I've been thinking of picking one up for a few years now. Recently stumbled across a good review video and noticed that they're relatively inexpensive, provide superb video quality, and can be very stealthy.

I'm looking for good video quality, clean/stealthy install (hardwired and small dimensions), and bang for the buck. A motion/g sensor for parking lots would be ideal.

Found this one:
SpyTec A119 + GPS Logger 1440p Car Dash Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HN0HBFG..._36NmybFG8TQTE

What is your favorite? What is your experience with these products?
Old 11-22-16, 09:33 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I grabbed cameras for each of our vehicles after a driver hit us and then tried to put us at fault after the fact. Even a by stander had us at fault when there was NO WAY it was our fault (we were not moving and a driver hit our back bumper trying to cut through a lane... it was a long saga against insurance).

Ive been using the G1W for about 2-3 years now. Excellent camera for the price. Very clear and detailed picture.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Original-Dashboard-Dash/dp/B00FONBG1A/ref=sr_1_3?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1479836009&sr=1-3&keywords=g1w

I like the screen so I can tell if it is off center without reviewing the video. You dont notice the screen when driving and it is not distracting.
Old 11-23-16, 12:34 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredmac11
I grabbed cameras for each of our vehicles after a driver hit us and then tried to put us at fault after the fact. Even a by stander had us at fault when there was NO WAY it was our fault (we were not moving and a driver hit our back bumper trying to cut through a lane... it was a long saga against insurance).

Ive been using the G1W for about 2-3 years now. Excellent camera for the price. Very clear and detailed picture.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Original-Dashboard-Dash/dp/B00FONBG1A/ref=sr_1_3?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1479836009&sr=1-3&keywords=g1w

I like the screen so I can tell if it is off center without reviewing the video. You dont notice the screen when driving and it is not distracting.
I'm sorry to hear about your insurance claim incident. That is one of the reasons why I would like to have a video recording of any incidents. My car has been scraped in a parking lot, luckily with minimal damage. It would have been great to see how and when it happened.

The G1W is something that I believe I've seen through one of my friends. He sort of convinced me on the effectiveness of dash cams. You can't beat the price per value of that model.

I just found the DDPai M6+ and believe it will be near damn perfect to what I'm looking for. Small, easily removable magnetic mount, WiFi smartphone connection for playback, superb video quality, GPS, remote trigger for saving favorite moments, and a parking time lapse mode!

I ordered both the A119 and the DDPai, so I will see which one I prefer. Maybe I'll keep both and do a front/rear setup.
Old 11-23-16, 07:51 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I've been running cheap eBay dash cams for 4-5 years now at least.
They're great but not always reliable and tend to crap out in the extreme heat or cold.

The quality isn't that decent, but its more to protect me and my insurance. At least I don't have to worry about someone breaking in to steal a $15 camera.
Since daylight savings time changed 2 weeks ago, there have been so many drivers acting crazy on the roads. Dash cams are a must.