ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Not again

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 04:24 PM
Jimynutz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not again

I ended up putting a new tps on my 96 es300. Started it up let it run on the driveway for about 5 minutes and got in and took it for a spin. It felt good for about 1/2 mile and I gave it some gas and bigger hesitation and we about 1/4 mile and it just quit running. Now crank no star. Undid the battery for a few minutes and drove 30 feet check engine light came on and dies. So I unplugged the battery again waited 10 minutes and put it back on and drove home, no check engine light. Left it running and I just watched the gauges and as soon as the light come on instantly dies. I'm at a loss. Now I have to find a scanner again with no funds,just wondering what else could it be
Old 10-26-16, 09:38 PM
Jimynutz
Driver School Candidate

Default What now then

I replaced the tps and it ran for a little while, check engine light turns on and dies. I saw another question and the response was cleaning of the idle control valve. So I gave it a shot, I have nothing to lose. It wasn't completely stuck but it really needed to be cleaned. So I put everythingback together and it fired right up, no check engine light and when it got to operating temperature it just dies. It dies the same way as before. Now I have no check engine light. So I'm pretty frustrated about all this, car are simple. You just need a few things to make them run. I'm sure it's nothing I can't handle I'm just lost someone please point me in a direction, what lose to look smell taste and hear your help will be greatly welcomed

Last edited by Jimynutz; 10-26-16 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Because my post ain't showing
Old 10-27-16, 06:25 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimynutz
I replaced the tps and it ran for a little while, check engine light turns on and dies. I saw another question and the response was cleaning of the idle control valve. So I gave it a shot, I have nothing to lose. It wasn't completely stuck but it really needed to be cleaned. So I put everythingback together and it fired right up, no check engine light and when it got to operating temperature it just dies. It dies the same way as before. Now I have no check engine light. So I'm pretty frustrated about all this, car are simple. You just need a few things to make them run. I'm sure it's nothing I can't handle I'm just lost someone please point me in a direction, what lose to look smell taste and hear your help will be greatly welcomed
Get it scanned for free at a parts store like AutoZone. You need codes and a troubleshooting guide to test the system. Swapping parts can get very frustrating if you don't know the source of the issue and the condition of the components.
Old 10-27-16, 10:30 AM
Jimynutz
Driver School Candidate

Default Scanner shows me nothing

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Get it scanned for free at a parts store like AutoZone. You need codes and a troubleshooting guide to test the system. Swapping parts can get very frustrating if you don't know the source of the issue and the condition of the components.
unfortunately in southern California auto zone doesn't do it anymore. I did get someone to use their's, since the check engine light wasn't on it didn't show anything. The car starts up fine, no misfire, no rough idle nothing car is warming up perfectly and suddenly turns off like I turned the car off myself, in less than a minute I try to turn it on and crank to start. I wait a few minutes and it fires up but runs for maybe a minute or less.
Old 10-27-16, 10:33 AM
Jimynutz
Driver School Candidate

Default Scanner shows me nothing

Originally Posted by MrBooby
unfortunately in southern California auto zone doesn't do it anymore. I did get someone to use their's, since the check engine light wasn't on it didn't show anything. The car starts up fine, no misfire, no rough idle nothing car is warming up perfectly and suddenly turns off like I turned the car off myself, in less than a minute I try to turn it on and crank to start. I wait a few minutes and it fires up but runs for maybe a minute or less. The original code was p0121 that's why I changed the tps. The second time I didn't have a scanner and tried the idle air control valve and that took care of the light
Old 10-27-16, 02:35 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

unfortunately in southern California auto zone doesn't do it anymore.
I am in SoCal. Aamco does. They even advertise on the radio. You can rent the scanner in autozone. Maybe rent it, use in parking lot or keep it for a week, and return.
Old 10-28-16, 07:23 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm not familiar with these cars, how many igniters do they have? I suspect that, and on a different brand car I got a tps code and the problem was the ignition controller or igniter on Toyota stuff. There maybe a way to check yours look on youtube. Another culprit would be either a cam or crank sensor.
Old 10-28-16, 08:22 PM
Jimynutz
Driver School Candidate

Default Took today off the car

Originally Posted by dicer
I'm not familiar with these cars, how many igniters do they have? I suspect that, and on a different brand car I got a tps code and the problem was the ignition controller or igniter on Toyota stuff. There maybe a way to check yours look on youtube. Another culprit would be either a cam or crank sensor.
as of last night I got crank no start . I took the plugs out and made sure they were ground and I cranked it over and now I have no spark . where or what should I check and how. I would still consider myself a novice in the diagnosis department. give me a carburetor and distributor and I'll make it home. now I freak out. I don't want my girlfriend to want to get rid of the car, I for one fell in love with it, it's not a looker it shows its age and there's nothing wrong with that. I'll take it if she wantsto get rid of it. I'm just chasing gremlins . Sorry to vent but my girlfriend doesn't understand
Old 10-29-16, 06:54 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

as of last night I got crank no start . I took the plugs out and made sure they were ground and I cranked it over and now I have no spark . where or what should I check and how. I would still consider myself a novice in the diagnosis department. give me a carburetor and distributor and I'll make it home. now I freak out. I don't want my girlfriend to want to get rid of the car, I for one fell in love with it, it's not a looker it shows its age and there's nothing wrong with that. I'll take it if she wantsto get rid of it. I'm just chasing gremlins . Sorry to vent but my girlfriend doesn't understand
Get a multimeter to test the resistance of your crank and cam sensors. Make sure your engine timing is good.