ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

03 Es300 door wont open

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-16, 03:36 PM
fade41
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Es300 door wont open

Drivers door wont open inside or out.. any suggestions before destroying the door panel?
I replaced the inner door handle years ago with no problems since...
Also the inner door handle won't move after I messed with it earlier. its in the close position and I don't wanna break it, figured no use trying to force it open.
Old 10-21-16, 06:44 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like those rods that open door lock and are connected to the handle somehow got disconnected.
Old 10-21-16, 07:28 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Wondering out loud here...

Could you remove the door panel without opening the door? I wonder if it'll clear the gap between the door and the door sill - or if you could even take the door sill off before the door panel.

It's held in by two screws and all clips, so it should just pull forward before lifting up and off:

Old 10-21-16, 09:45 PM
fade41
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Wondering out loud here...

Could you remove the door panel without opening the door? I wonder if it'll clear the gap between the door and the door sill - or if you could even take the door sill off before the door panel.

It's held in by two screws and all clips, so it should just pull forward before lifting up and off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlGfIAAAbcc
I removed the screws but I can't get the clips undone at the bottom of door panel .. seems no way to get to them with the door closed.
Old 10-22-16, 12:21 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The only thing that I can think off trying without destroying the door panel is the following:

Buy or borrow one of those flexible video cameras with an LED light at the end of it. (Its around $20.00 - $30.00 for a cheap one). Lift out the window switch module and stick in the camera. Have a look at the inside of the door to see if you can detgermine whats broken or disconneted.

Than bend a metal clothes hanger inset it, and try to catch and release the lock.

You may want to remove the passenger side panel first so that you can get an idea how things work inside.

Good Luck

Phil
Old 10-24-16, 04:24 PM
fade41
Driver School Candidate

Top door lock cable seems to work fine moving back and forth with the lock buttons.. just won't actually unlock the door ...Won't open from either side I pulled on the door handle cable and nothing happens. The handle cable will move out if I pull on the outside door handle kind of at the same time and then click back in when I push the cable in.
Seems to me The actuator failed, seems impossible to get to?

I took off another door panel and the actuator is behind sheet metal, so I don't know if messing up my door panel will even give me access
Old 10-24-16, 04:50 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Forget the Actuator, with a coat hanger you may be able to get to the door latch and pull it open. Thats why I suggested a camera.
Old 10-25-16, 06:38 AM
fade41
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
Forget the Actuator, with a coat hanger you may be able to get to the door latch and pull it open. Thats why I suggested a camera.
Thanks for the replies Phil... I ordered a snake camera with light! Will let you know results.
Old 09-16-23, 03:06 PM
EtypeAl
1st Gear

New member following this up!
Just did this on my son in law's (formerly my) '02 ES.
I removed the inner door panel with the door shut door as follows. I don't have any great advice on releasing the latch, depends on the problem and luck!

Pulled B post lower plastic

(You have to move the seat 100 times ;-) for best access as you proceed)

Pulled interior rubber/windlace from sill to midway on B post.
Got inner plastic sill piece a bit loose, couldn't remove. I don't think it helped. Pretty sure you should skip this
Used a hose puller/glaziers tool to get behind lower back corner of panel. I cut the bent end off, left about 3/8", I bevelled the tip to get in and hook the panel. (might not be necessary, depends on your hook)
Started reefing the sucker off. It was tough but it started to move, I used every little carpenter's finish pry bar I have (and I've been at it 45 years)

Lifted up the rear corner of the panel, pulled, shifted pulled...removed cables and electric clips as possible. Somehow the front corner behind the dash was not fastened, manual shows 10mm head bolt. We got that f**$er off sort of rotating up and pulling towards the back of the car. I did very minor damage to the edge of the door panel, have not re installed waiting for latch assembly.

At this point I used a hole saw and a cut off wheel to expose the bottom of the latch assembly. Careful not to hit the assembly, altho I assume it was garbage. And also didn't attempt drill glass! Now you have some access to the assembly, you can see the lever that attaches to the cable to the inner door handle

I surmised (correctly) that our problem was inside the latch, I have to dissapoint here, and say I'm not sure how I actually released the latch. I had a longish maybe 3/16 tip flat screwdriver, I pushed under the area where the lock cable enters the body, with the little plastic cover off.

That's all I've got.
Alan

Last edited by EtypeAl; 09-16-23 at 03:16 PM. Reason: add image