ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Late shift out of first when engine is cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 09:30 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Speedometer sees speed, OBD2 scanner does not

Edit:
UPDATE
I purchased an OBD2 scanner and verified the p0500 code comes up consistently at any shift or speed. Verified that the scanner detects 0mph. However the speedometer catches my speed accurately.

Original post:
Last month, I had a long-stemmed issue where my odometer and speedometer blanked out and my cruise control did not work. That has since been resolved and I have a working odometer/speedometer by replacing the cluster.

Literally as soon as I drove out of the salvage yard where I installed the new cluster, my car was slow to shift and the same P0500, Bad speed sensor, CEL came up. This started about the same time as the odometer/speedometer issue (I now it was 2 issues that occured around the same time) and I had this issue for months, but I hoped replacing the cluster would have fixed it. I have already swapped out both speed sensors... its possible i swapped out faulty sensors-- Im not sure, but swapping them did not resolve the issue.

Every day, my car is slow to shift out of first. Once the car warms up, the issue is gone. However, every time it is slow to shift, the CEL comes up. I can reset the computer but it will come up again. I've heard these transmissions can do this if they are cold, but why is this causing a CEL to pop off?

I am purchasing new speed sensors from Ebay at this moment, and will see if that resolves it. Otherwise, what could be the issue?

Last edited by jaredmac11; 11-04-16 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-10-16, 05:12 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get the code scanned. Even when the CEL light is no longer on, sometimes the code is still stored.
Old 10-10-16, 08:54 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

The CEL is P0500 and stays lit once it occurs.
Old 10-28-16, 06:57 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

I picked up new speed sensors on Ebay, both, and it still exists. This is getting frustrating. Im past state inspection due date at this time and I legitimately don't know how to fix this issue.

Its only late to shift maybe once or twice at start up. It may be an ECU issue but Im tired of throwing parts at the damn issue without knowing whats broken.
Old 10-28-16, 08:19 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Is the vehicle a '97? If so, the FSM shows 1 Vehicle Speed Sensor.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Vehicle speed sensor.pdf (20.4 KB, 95 views)
Old 10-28-16, 08:41 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Why not bring the vehicle for the state inspection when it's fully warmed up, making sure there are no codes in memory.

According to you it only exhibits the symptom when bold.

You can than worry about chasing the cause of your symptom after you pass.
Old 10-28-16, 10:22 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
Why not bring the vehicle for the state inspection when it's fully warmed up, making sure there are no codes in memory.

According to you it only exhibits the symptom when bold.

You can than worry about chasing the cause of your symptom after you pass.
They may still be able to see that the code has not cleared, no?
Old 10-28-16, 11:54 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Forgot to mention that your occasional slow shifting into drive when the engine is cold, may not be speed sensor related, but rather temperature sensors related. There are several temperatures sensors on this car, so maybe someone with more knowledge as to which tempteture sensor is responsible for the transmission shifting can chime in.
Old 10-28-16, 01:33 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

I recommend you find the FSM for your car - google turbo ninja camry and I believe it appears as a zip file on the site.

There is a diagnostic file that addresses all the DTC codes along with detailed process on diagnosing and fixing. It can become a very expensive exercise in changing parts without definitive diagnosis.
Old 10-30-16, 02:37 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

I did some more testing. It's definitely not exclusively when the car is cold. I drove the car for 30 mins, came home, pulled the battery plugs and waited for 30 mins to clear the CEL, started the car and let it run til it was at operating tem again.

The car STILL didn't want to shift until about 2500 rpm. Now once the CEL is up its hard to tell if this happens continuously but it's very noticeable first drive.

I can't get it to the shop because it has to not hit the CEL for 10 miles, which is nearly impossible unless I can somehow drive 10 miles under 15 mph
Old 10-30-16, 03:44 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

Originally Posted by fortitude
I recommend you find the FSM for your car - google turbo ninja camry and I believe it appears as a zip file on the site.

There is a diagnostic file that addresses all the DTC codes along with detailed process on diagnosing and fixing. It can become a very expensive exercise in changing parts without definitive diagnosis.
I checked this out a few months back and it was inconclusive. The manual points to the following areas of potential concern:
  • Open or short in vehicle speed sensor circuit 
    • Noted no short in harness at sensors with multimeter. Electrician noted no issues with harness either
  • Vehicle speed sensor 
    • Replaced speed sensors multiple times, vehicle speed is detected in speedometer.
  • Combination meter 
    • Unsure how to test combination meter
  • ECM
    • Noted no issues from multimeter, electrician noted no issues with ECU either.

The manual also provides a few diagnostic stepss:
1. Check operation of speedometer - Drive the vehicle and check if the operation of the speedometer in the combination meter is normal. HINT:The vehicle speed sensor is operating normally if the speedometer display is normal.
Pass- speedometer detects speed accurately.

2. Check for short in harness and connector between terminal SPD of ECM and body ground
Pass - full continuity at ECM

3. Check voltage between terminal SPD of ECM connector and body ground.
Pass - correct voltage.

4. Check for open in harness and connector between junction connector (J17) and combination meter (See page IN–27).
Pass - full continuity at plug

I dont see anything in the manual regarding late shifts in relation to this code unfortunately. Has me wondering if perhaps Autozone pulled up the wrong code???
Old 10-30-16, 04:14 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Combination Meter is instrument cluster
Old 11-04-16, 11:20 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

I verified with the scanner that the obd2 port is sending 0mph while driving. The speedometer works but cruise control does not.

What does each speed sensor do? How does the computer say 0 but the speedometer measures accurately?