ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Stalls when floor boarded

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 08:33 AM
chuckerst
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stalls when floor boarded

Has anyone ever had this problem-'99 ES300 with 167,000 miles-shifts great and runs great except if I floor board for that "passing gear"-nothing happens-it's almost like the car stalls-I had a repair shop check it-they thought it was my cracked plenum-that didn't fix it-they tried a sensor of some sort and a new computer-finally gave up-this was a shop that specializes in Toyota and they were stumped! just wondered if anyone has had a problem like this! thanks to all.
Old 09-15-16, 01:11 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

From a stopped position, place the gear selector in L (lowest gear selection) - then floor it. What does the car do? Die? Actually accelerate? Accelerates but not smoothly - stutters, jerky?

Accelerate slowly in the lowest gear to achieve 1500 RPMS. Then floor it. What does the car do?
Old 09-15-16, 02:23 PM
chuckerst
Rookie

It accelerates smoothly if I accelerate slowly-If I floor it in that L gear it hardly goes-stutters horribly-thanks for your help-what does that tell me?
Old 09-15-16, 03:40 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckerst
It accelerates smoothly if I accelerate slowly-If I floor it in that L gear it hardly goes-stutters horribly-thanks for your help-what does that tell me?
does it do it in reverse as well? What about in Park? Does it stumble?

also remove the large accordion air intake hose behind the air filter and examine it carefully to make sure it's not cracked. It may have a crack that opens up when you accelerate. This will let in un-metered air and will cause the symptom you describe.

Last edited by PFB; 09-15-16 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 04:27 PM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Like PFB mentioned, check your intake hoses. Also check your butterfly and acceleration cables.

Also when was the last time your spark plugs and wires were done?

Last edited by WILLYumD; 09-15-16 at 04:28 PM. Reason: More.
Old 09-15-16, 05:22 PM
chuckerst
Rookie

I had the plenum replaced-shop told me that was the problem but nope- then they tried a computer-nope-finally told me they were stumped-I cleaned the MAF module-cleaned the throttle body-plugs are two years old with about 20k on them-It doesn't do it in reverse I don't think. Thanks again to all.
Old 09-15-16, 05:26 PM
chuckerst
Rookie

I had the plenum replaced-shop told me that was the problem but nope- then they tried a computer-nope-finally told me they were stumped-I cleaned the MAF module-cleaned the throttle body-plugs are two years old with about 20k on them-It doesn't do it in reverse I don't think.- It DOES do it in park-so I guess that would eliminate the transmission --not sure what is meant by "stumble" but I think that's how you would describe it-- Thanks again to all.
Old 09-15-16, 05:42 PM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Could you record a video of it showing the dashboard's response as well as the sound the car makes? I think that would help people understand what's happening.

Maybe your car's not sending enough fuel. Could be a bad fuel pump or fuel filter.
Old 09-15-16, 08:13 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It could also be a cracked catalytic convertor.
Old 09-16-16, 07:44 AM
chuckerst
Rookie

Well I replaced the converter AND muffler-funny how no one wants to tackle this at the non-factory repair shops-they tell me to take it to the dealer-anyway how do i post a video on this forum? don't see any upload links-to describe a bit more accurately though, In park if I accelerate reasonably slow there's no problem at all, but if i just floor it It feels like possible interrupted gas flow or a vacuum leak-rpm's go way down and sounds like misfiring. when i let off it's back to smooth running again!
Old 09-16-16, 08:13 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Did you remove and check the large accordion air intake hose for cracks (behind the air filter) as I suggested?
Old 09-16-16, 08:17 AM
chuckerst
Rookie

yes-that is what the shop said was the problem but when that didn't fix it they said it was a coumputer-that didn't fix it either so they were stumped! thanks
Old 09-16-16, 08:26 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckerst
yes-that is what the shop said was the problem but when that didn't fix it they said it was a coumputer-that didn't fix it either so they were stumped! thanks
im fixated on that because this can still be your problem.

When the shop said that they thought that that was the problem, what did they do?
Old 09-16-16, 09:38 AM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Upload the video to YouTube and then link that video to your post.

Any pending OBD codes?
Old 09-16-16, 10:15 AM
chuckerst
Rookie

PFB-they replaced the plenum boot-it WAS cracked badly-they ordered and replaced the computer and a sensor (but i didnt ask which sensor-probably the MAF)--that did not fix the problem-they kept it several days scratching their heads and finally said we give up-this was a very reputable Toyota only repair shop so my only alternative is the dealer if i can't figure it out (and after a phone call to the dealer they said they would have to replace the transmission which is absurd-it is NOT a transmission problem-it does it in PARK!)

Quick Reply: Stalls when floor boarded