ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

O2 Sensors Replaced - Same issue? ( ES300 1999)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 01:33 AM
AntzCro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 Sensors Replaced - Same issue? ( ES300 1999)

Hey Guys,

Long story short, my car is being terrible.

About 1 month ago I noticed that my car would slightly hesitate when accelerating slowly, It was noticeable whilst driving because my head would be moving back and forth ( wasn't that bad ).
My fuel economy has also taken a massive hit as well, around 60miles less per tank which is annoying the hell out of me.
So, I used an OBDII scanner and it spat out P0135 and P0155 ( Bank 1 sensor 1, Bank 2 sensor 2 ) Heater malfunction.
I purchased two brand new original Toyota 02 Sensors ( Same part number ) and proceeded to fit them. The old ones had never been replaced by the looks of them so I believed that they were the issue.I reset the ECU and made sure that the O2 sensors were nice and tight.

HOWEVER, I am still having the same issue.
Why would my car have the same issue after replacing the parts which the diagnostics said were at fault ?
Has anyone else experienced this issue ?
Could it be the cat convertor ? Could it be a spark plug ? like what would throw this code but still have the same issue after resetting the ECU and replacing the O2 sensors.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just quite frustrated after spending $250(AUD) per sensor

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT : The old O2 Sensors did not show any resistance when tested, and before i fitted the new sensors, Both showed a resistance of 14.1 ohms. So i know that the new sensors work.

Last edited by AntzCro; 08-15-16 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-15-16, 06:55 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AntzCro
So, I used an OBDII scanner and it spat out P0135 and P0155 ( Bank 1 sensor 1, Bank 2 sensor 2 )
P0155 is Bank 2 Sensor 1
Old 08-15-16, 03:21 PM
AntzCro
Driver

P0155 is Bank 2 Sensor 1
Sorry, you're right. I meant to say sensor 1, I confused myself.
Anyway, I've read the codes again and they've been cleared and are not coming back.
This leads me to believe it's either spark plugs or coil packs
Will be attempting them today !
Old 08-15-16, 06:34 PM
AntzCro
Driver

Update : I have replaced the spark plugs and I am still having the same issue.
I've tested the ignition coils for resistance however and they sit at 1.3 ohms.
The repair manual says 0.7-1.1 is normal throughout temperature ranges... What is the chance that the coils are faulty and causing this misfire like sensation ?
Old 08-16-16, 06:21 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Update : I have replaced the spark plugs and I am still having the same issue.
I've tested the ignition coils for resistance however and they sit at 1.3 ohms.
The repair manual says 0.7-1.1 is normal throughout temperature ranges... What is the chance that the coils are faulty and causing this misfire like sensation ?
A few ideas from the information you provided.

1. Fuel supply
2. Engine timing
3. Transmission
4. Idle air control valve

How many miles are on the car and how would you describe the jerkiness?
Old 08-16-16, 08:36 PM
AntzCro
Driver

Originally Posted by MrBooby
A few ideas from the information you provided.

1. Fuel supply
2. Engine timing
3. Transmission
4. Idle air control valve

How many miles are on the car and how would you describe the jerkiness?
Thanks for the reply.

So the engine has about 200,000km (120,000 miles).
The jerkiness is enough for anyone in the car to notice it. When I say that, what i mean is that sometimes your whole body will have the sensation that the car accelerates than decelerates causing the body to get a feeling of moving forward and back, but it isn't that severe.
It always occurs, it is just much more noticeable around 25-45 mp/h and when going uphill.
In the photo which I have attached, you will see the Revving when I have e-brake on and I accelerate. The revs constantly drop and rise within 50-100rpm.
Here is a video i uploaded for reference.

How would I be able to use the process of elimination to discover what the problem is before I give up?

Attached Thumbnails O2 Sensors Replaced - Same issue? ( ES300 1999)-photo-15-08-2016.jpeg  
Old 08-17-16, 06:15 AM
mzeitlin
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar problem on my 2000 ES300. All I had to do was clean the mass air flow sensor and idle control port. The mass air flow sensor is more likely since your problem is while accelerating (idle control is for ... well, idle control). Use mass air flow sensor cleaner (must use cleaner specific for mass air flow sensors). There are videos on this site or youtube showing location and method of cleaning. It's not 100% that's your problem, but very well could be. You may have to replace the part if cleaning doesn't work. To me, your report sounds like it could be faulty. Dirty sensors create a lean condition (more air is coming in than the computer thinks is coming in) which would affect your acceleration and usually generate a p0171 code - not the rev and drop that you are experiencing - but who knows? worth a try to clean.

Old 08-17-16, 06:23 AM
AntzCro
Driver

Thanks for the advice,

I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning !
Old 08-17-16, 12:21 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

And a bad coil would throw a misfire code.
Old 08-17-16, 04:57 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

In the video you posted, the rpms were bouncing approximately between 1100 to 1300. Was this at idle? Or were you keeping a steady throttle but the rpms were bouncing?
Old 08-17-16, 10:42 PM
AntzCro
Driver

Originally Posted by fortitude
In the video you posted, the rpms were bouncing approximately between 1100 to 1300. Was this at idle? Or were you keeping a steady throttle but the rpms were bouncing?
I was keeping the throttle steady. Very steady.

So this is a summary.

I have replaced the spark plugs, replaced O2 Sensors, Cleaned MAF sensor, Replaced air filter, Replaced lots of vacuum lines and tried 3 known working coil packs(not the leads however)

So my next shot is trying the new coil packs with new leads, and if that doesn't solve it, I think I will move on to injector cleaning.
Old 08-18-16, 04:21 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I was keeping the throttle steady. Very steady.

So this is a summary.

I have replaced the spark plugs, replaced O2 Sensors, Cleaned MAF sensor, Replaced air filter, Replaced lots of vacuum lines and tried 3 known working coil packs(not the leads however)

So my next shot is trying the new coil packs with new leads, and if that doesn't solve it, I think I will move on to injector cleaning.
Try cleaning your throttle body plate and replace your fuel filter.

You might have an air leak in your intake hoses. Check the accordion intake hoses for cracks.
Old 08-18-16, 08:09 PM
AntzCro
Driver

Try cleaning your throttle body plate and replace your fuel filter.

You might have an air leak in your intake hoses. Check the accordion intake hoses for cracks.
'

I've cleaned the throttle body plate with MAF cleaner cause i had heaps left over ( works very well ).
I tapped up the hoses with duct tape several times to make sure no leaks would occur if any were present but the issue was still occurring.

I'm going to replace the fuel filter soon, but it's $100 here in Australia for some silly reason...From Toyota of a 3rd party reseller...
Still going to test the back leads with new coils to make sure it's not them.

This is really annoying

Minor cracks, not sure if they're deep enough at all

Old 08-21-16, 03:29 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

'

I've cleaned the throttle body plate with MAF cleaner cause i had heaps left over ( works very well ).
I tapped up the hoses with duct tape several times to make sure no leaks would occur if any were present but the issue was still occurring.

I'm going to replace the fuel filter soon, but it's $100 here in Australia for some silly reason...From Toyota of a 3rd party reseller...
Still going to test the back leads with new coils to make sure it's not them.

This is really annoying

Minor cracks, not sure if they're deep enough at all
Hope you find something wrong. See if you can get a mechanic to look at it, as all sorts of issues can cause sputtering: Fuel, Air, Spark, Timing
Old 08-21-16, 08:36 PM
AntzCro
Driver

Hope you find something wrong. See if you can get a mechanic to look at it, as all sorts of issues can cause sputtering: Fuel, Air, Spark, Timing
Thanks man !

I found a solution for the meantime, Bought a 2008 Lexus IS250

Quick Reply: O2 Sensors Replaced - Same issue? ( ES300 1999)