ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-16, 09:54 AM
silverfock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lockout

We have owned a 2003 Lexus ES 300 since 2003. The car was parked inactive for a month. I did drive it to fill the gas tank and it was fine.
Upon trying to access it this past Monday the key fob would not open the door or the trunk. The key would not open the door. I had the battery in the fob replaced by a locksmith who tested it and said the battery was solid and the fob was sending out a signal. It still would not work. Called AAA and they could not open the car either. They said something about the security system may have been engaged. Called Lexus dealers and they had no idea what the problem was. We cannot access the car.
Any suggestions other than breaking a window.
Thanks
Old 07-30-16, 10:48 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by silverfock
We have owned a 2003 Lexus ES 300 since 2003. The car was parked inactive for a month. I did drive it to fill the gas tank and it was fine.
Upon trying to access it this past Monday the key fob would not open the door or the trunk. The key would not open the door. I had the battery in the fob replaced by a locksmith who tested it and said the battery was solid and the fob was sending out a signal. It still would not work. Called AAA and they could not open the car either. They said something about the security system may have been engaged. Called Lexus dealers and they had no idea what the problem was. We cannot access the car.
Any suggestions other than breaking a window.
Thanks
Does the key not even open the doors manually? Do you have another key you can try?

Also, are you sure it's the right key? After a month of not using it, maybe you mixed something up.

As a last resort, get some lock lubricant such as graphite lube, spray it linearly inside the door lock, than jiggle the key several times in the lock. You may get lucky.

Do you Remember how long ago you used that key to open the doors manually ?

Last edited by PFB; 07-30-16 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-30-16, 10:53 AM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I definitely would say your are not using the correct key.
Another option would to bring your proof of ownership to a Lexus dealer so they can cut you a key.

Also if the car has been sitting for a long time the car battery might be dead which is why the key fob isn't working

Last edited by crwys; 07-30-16 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-30-16, 06:10 PM
silverfock
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank U

No it is the correct key and the only other key is a valet key which also does not work.
The battery to the fob was just replaced and we tried the graphite etc and still no opening. There is not a sound out of the locking system when using the fob or the key
I drove the car 5 days before my Son returned and it worked fine.
Even had the battery in the car been dead the key should work to open the lock manually
AAA said someone may have tried to enter the car and triggered the lockdown system
Old 07-30-16, 08:01 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Even if this "lockdown system" was triggered, nothing should be preventing you from inserting the key and turning it to unlock the car. It's all mechanical.
Unless I'm missing something here.
And if Lexus doesn't know what to do.

The only thing this leads back to is an incorrect key. Have you tried opening the trunk with the key?
Old 07-30-16, 10:46 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Get some spray lube from the lock smith and lube them.
Old 07-31-16, 07:38 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

You haven't used the mechanical lock in a while it could be seized. There is no lockdown system preventing you from opening the door manually. That's why its a good idea once in a while to open the door with the key instead of always using the remote.

Nevertheless if the car has been sitting a while the battery might be dead, causing the vehicle not to respond to the remote. A good locksmith might be able to unlock the car using a wire between the door weather stripping to flip the thumb tab inside. Or he could pull the hood cable from underneath the front bumper and jump the battery.
Old 08-01-16, 01:28 PM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Does the key not turn, or it turns but does nothing? On EITHER of the front doors?
Old 08-05-16, 07:34 AM
silverfock
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus fixed

Thank you all for your help. I did take the opening hood from under the tire well and it worked. We discovered the alarm had been triggered and continued to run until the battery wore out and then kept the battery from recharging killing all access to the car. Recharged the battery and everything works.
Old 08-05-16, 08:20 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

You say you opened the hood from the tire well? How exactly?
Old 08-05-16, 09:39 AM
crwys
Lead Lap

In my 99 the alaram only goes for 60 seconds to prevent the battery from being drained. Is this not the case for the newer cars? Unless someone tried to break in repeatedly
Old 08-05-16, 10:10 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by silverfock
Thank you all for your help. I did take the opening hood from under the tire well and it worked. We discovered the alarm had been triggered and continued to run until the battery wore out and then kept the battery from recharging killing all access to the car. Recharged the battery and everything works.
That doesn't explain however why you couldn't open your doors with your key.
Old 08-05-16, 10:25 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,685 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
That doesn't explain however why you couldn't open your doors with your key.
Really makes you wonder why they won't answer this question doesn't it.
Old 08-05-16, 10:36 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Agreed. A proper answer would have helped others in that situation.

Its not fair to others when people ask for help, members reply, than the original poster doesn't follow up.
Old 08-05-16, 12:11 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Hmmmm. Trying to break into someone's car who left only the key fob behind?!?!

Quick Reply: Lockout