ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DIY: 97-01 Radiator Replacement (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 08:51 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts
Default DIY: 97-01 Radiator Replacement (VIDEO)

My car developed a small coolant leak from its radiator, so I took that opportunity to document my repair in a DIY video format.
I haven't seen anyone else cover it yet, so I hope this helps out other people. Access to all the components is plentiful, in fact you don't even need to raise the vehicle.
Having the same engine as other Toyota Lexus vehicles, this should also apply to Sienna, Camry, Avalon, Solara, Highlander, and the RX300.

Old 07-26-16, 11:49 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Excellent video. Very well done.

Thank you
phil
Old 07-26-16, 04:43 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice job. Wish this video was available when I had to do mine. It would have come in handy.

Old 07-26-16, 05:48 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Thanks guys. Having been around this community for some time, I wanted to give back to current and future members. Speedkar9 already covered a lot of general maintenance and repair in his videos, so I only wanted to add to his work.
Old 07-26-16, 09:03 PM
80es300
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Good job, very detailed and easy to follow.
Recently I had a mechanic replace the radiator in my 97 camry (4 months back) and since then I notice little coolant overflowing from the reservoir box after driving for sometime. I tried to google but still not getting a clear answer. Any idea what could be causing the overflow? engine temperature seems to stay within range.
Old 07-27-16, 02:37 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Video, very much enjoyed that thorough instructional video Mr. Boobies.

Very Professional DIY'er, this is how I would want this done if it were my car.
Old 07-27-16, 08:52 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 80es300
Good job, very detailed and easy to follow.
Recently I had a mechanic replace the radiator in my 97 camry (4 months back) and since then I notice little coolant overflowing from the reservoir box after driving for sometime. I tried to google but still not getting a clear answer. Any idea what could be causing the overflow? engine temperature seems to stay within range.
Bad radiator cap.
Old 07-27-16, 09:08 AM
80es300
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mmatheny
Bad radiator cap.
It is not leaking from radiator cap. It is overflowing from the reservoir cap. Could it still be bad radiator cap? Are you saying air leak from the radiator cap could cause overflow from the reservoir?
Old 07-27-16, 07:41 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Thanks guys. Having been around this community for some time, I wanted to give back to current and future members. Speedkar9 already covered a lot of general maintenance and repair in his videos, so I only wanted to add to his work.
Hey nice video (albeit a bit long for me lol)
Very good camera work, especially considering you were doing it at night.

I see you live in the snow belt, but how the heck did you manage to remove the engine under cover bolts without snapping them? I only tried one on my Solara and it snapped off...so I left the rest haha.

On a side note, can you imagine having to do all this work (radiator removal) just to change the alternator on the 5ES? Those newer designs are so much more compact and harder to work on.
Old 07-28-16, 04:11 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Hey nice video (albeit a bit long for me lol)
Very good camera work, especially considering you were doing it at night.

I see you live in the snow belt, but how the heck did you manage to remove the engine under cover bolts without snapping them? I only tried one on my Solara and it snapped off...so I left the rest haha.

On a side note, can you imagine having to do all this work (radiator removal) just to change the alternator on the 5ES? Those newer designs are so much more compact and harder to work on.
Thank you, speedkar9, for your kind words. Shooting these videos is a challenge and a learning experience. I'm still learning how to trim everything down to the essentials without leaving out anything important. On a scale of video duration/content, I see you as somewhere in between Scotty Kilmer and ETCG. I just found Scotty's version of a radiator replacement and he did in 3 minutes! Haha

Regarding the bolts, they were all replaced and one of them already snapped, so I started added anti-seize. These cars are incredibly well protected for this weather in the areas that it matters the most.

Seeing newer Lexus models becoming more cramped, I can only imagine the complexity of these tasks. It's no wonder most people lease nowadays.
Old 07-29-16, 08:07 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 80es300
It is not leaking from radiator cap. It is overflowing from the reservoir cap. Could it still be bad radiator cap? Are you saying air leak from the radiator cap could cause overflow from the reservoir?
I'm pretty sure the overflow hose comes out right below the radiator cap - if it is leaking, it will push fluid into the overflow tank until it - wait for it - overflows!
Old 07-29-16, 12:12 PM
80es300
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mmatheny
I'm pretty sure the overflow hose comes out right below the radiator cap - if it is leaking, it will push fluid into the overflow tank until it - wait for it - overflows!
Hi Mike,
I am not sure I follow. You said, "leak is pushing the fluid into the overflow tank"? What leak pushes the fluid into the overflow tank... air leak?
Old 11-04-16, 10:32 AM
cgdrennan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great video! Really appreciate the time and effort you put into making it. I have a Denso radiator in my garage for my '00 ES300 w/ 198,000 miles that has developed a small leak. Your ES is really clean for 240k miles! Any other suggestions to keep ATF from draining out of the hoses other than spark plugs?
Old 11-05-16, 09:45 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cgdrennan
Great video! Really appreciate the time and effort you put into making it. I have a Denso radiator in my garage for my '00 ES300 w/ 198,000 miles that has developed a small leak. Your ES is really clean for 240k miles! Any other suggestions to keep ATF from draining out of the hoses other than spark plugs?
Thank you, cgdrennan! A couple of bolts or some vice grips/clamps should do the trick. I can see how finding spare plugs can be a challenge, I personally took them out of small engine equipment (snow blower, etc.)
Old 11-06-16, 07:24 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Excellent video and camera work - I much prefer your style with stationary camera shots. Curious - is the mic (audio) from the camera only? Audio was very good

I liked the sound effects when re-installing the upper radiator hose clamp. They can be difficult - I found using a pair of vise grips to compress and lock onto the clamp tabs helps.

Quick Reply: DIY: 97-01 Radiator Replacement (VIDEO)