ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need Advice With Installing Subwoofer & Amp in '99 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 09:50 PM
TrillJigga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice With Installing Subwoofer & Amp in '99 ES300

Hi so im new to the whole car forum thing so if i sound uninformed or i didn't explain myself well i apologize.

So basically i got a 1999 Lexus ES300 and i first wanted to install a sub woofer to obviously achieve i heavier bass feel cause that's what im about. But when i installed my deck on its own it worked fine with the speakers and it had no power issues or static but when i installed my sub woofer, (without even connecting the amp power wire to the battery) my deck wont recieve any power nor will the stock radio that came with the car and everywhere i looked says to check the fuses in the engine bay and under the driver side dash and i did both of those and checked every fuse but none were broken. Also i know its not the aftermarket deck because both the stock and aftermarket deck worked before adding in the subwoofer and amp. So basically my question is, does anyone know what i could be doing wrong or if this is a simple fix and if no one has any knowledge on how to fix this can someone point me in the direction of a cheap audio shop i could take my car to to have them look at. Any shop in the North Sacramento area would be fine.

Please help if you can. And again i apologize if the way i explained it doesn't make sense. I can clarify better if need be. Thank you for any help!

Last edited by TrillJigga; 07-09-16 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask main question lol
Old 07-09-16, 10:48 PM
Patricia31
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always use a subwoofer crossover. That's where you use your stock deck and everything except you splice into your rear speaker to get the RCA signal to the amplifier.
here is an Amazon link -http://amzn.to/29qnSXo
The following users liked this post:
tyler1999 (05-18-21)
Old 08-08-16, 09:56 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TrillJigga
Hi so im new to the whole car forum thing so if i sound uninformed or i didn't explain myself well i apologize.

So basically i got a 1999 Lexus ES300 and i first wanted to install a sub woofer to obviously achieve i heavier bass feel cause that's what im about. But when i installed my deck on its own it worked fine with the speakers and it had no power issues or static but when i installed my sub woofer, (without even connecting the amp power wire to the battery) my deck wont recieve any power nor will the stock radio that came with the car and everywhere i looked says to check the fuses in the engine bay and under the driver side dash and i did both of those and checked every fuse but none were broken. Also i know its not the aftermarket deck because both the stock and aftermarket deck worked before adding in the subwoofer and amp. So basically my question is, does anyone know what i could be doing wrong or if this is a simple fix and if no one has any knowledge on how to fix this can someone point me in the direction of a cheap audio shop i could take my car to to have them look at. Any shop in the North Sacramento area would be fine.

Please help if you can. And again i apologize if the way i explained it doesn't make sense. I can clarify better if need be. Thank you for any help!
Well the Question is how did you connect your new Radio. Did you wire the aftermarket radio to the factory amp or did you bypass it. If so one of the connections could of came lose. As just adding a sub shouldnt have made your whole radio not work as new amp should have its own power and ground. Signal received by splicing into sub wire. Even if you reversed the polarity it would only make the sub fire in the wrong direction.
Old 08-08-16, 10:18 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are still using the factory amp:

I used a line out converter. Wired the ground to the trunk, power connected to the amp, and the speaker wires directly to the stock amp. (I spliced the wires on the stock amp and connected the lineout to them while still connected to the amp of course.)
I connected the ground for the amp underneath the rear seat buckle mount. And the power for the amp underneath the car rather than through it.

Been using it for idk 2 or 3 years now with literally no problems. Which I'm kind of surprised because both the amp and lineout converter were pretty cheap.

I'm still using the stock stereo though.
Old 04-23-18, 09:50 AM
Mrzshezbg
Driver School Candidate

Default A little help needed

Just installing new sub and amp in Lexus es300.

* currently factory pioneer amp and factory stereo
Dont know much but want to keep it as much DIY as possible.

just wondering instead of splicing wire next to amp can i use existing wires from subwoofers?

if possible please explain the procedure.
thanks.
Old 04-23-18, 10:28 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

You can do this two ways. Take the output that goes to the sub and input that to your sub amplifier, if it has such a feature. Or, you can take the line level outputs from the head unit and feed those into your sub amp. The factory head unit has no dedicated subwoofer output. If you tap into the sub output wires you are the mercy of whatever crossover frequency the factory amp uses, which probably won't be an issue.
The following users liked this post:
tyler1999 (05-18-21)
Old 04-23-18, 10:47 AM
Mrzshezbg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You can do this two ways. Take the output that goes to the sub and input that to your sub amplifier, if it has such a feature. Or, you can take the line level outputs from the head unit and feed those into your sub amp. The factory head unit has no dedicated subwoofer output. If you tap into the sub output wires you are the mercy of whatever crossover frequency the factory amp uses, which probably won't be an issue.
Ok

so getting the line level outputs i have to splice in rear speaker output from factory amp outputs or directly from Head unit? (Right or left if specific)
Old 04-23-18, 11:01 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mrzshezbg
Ok

so getting the line level outputs i have to splice in rear speaker output from factory amp outputs or directly from Head unit? (Right or left if specific)
Line level you have to go right to the head unit, or more conveniently on the amplifier, which is behind the glove box. The problem with splicing into line level is it might cause interference. If so you'll need a line level splitter. I happen to have an ES Pioneer amp I plan on putting into a car due to the amplifiers good sound for the size. And analog sound no digital processing. Here's the input wires.

Old 04-23-18, 11:12 AM
Mrzshezbg
Driver School Candidate

Line level you have to go right to the head unit, or more conveniently on the amplifier, which is behind the glove box. The problem with splicing into line level is it might cause interference. If so you'll need a line level splitter. I happen to have an ES Pioneer amp I plan on putting into a car due to the amplifiers good sound for the size. And analog sound no digital processing. Here's the input wires.

by line level splitter do you mean this
https://www.jaycar.com.au/speaker-hi...erter/p/AA0482

and what if i make a T connection next to amp for a rear speaker that can power speaker and can be a source for my amp.
Old 04-23-18, 11:19 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

by line level splitter do you mean this
https://www.jaycar.com.au/speaker-hi...erter/p/AA0482

Wrong device that converts speaker to line level. I don't know if they make a line splitter for cars.

and what if i make a T connection next to amp for a rear speaker that can power speaker and can be a source for my amp.
You're mixing up things here not sure what you mean. Need to see what sub and amp you have specifically.
Old 04-23-18, 11:33 AM
Mrzshezbg
Driver School Candidate

Wrong device that converts speaker to line level. I don't know if they make a line splitter for cars.

You're mixing up things here not sure what you mean. Need to see what sub and amp you have specifically.

I’ll try the simpler way first by trying the sub output from the stock amp to the new one. If its crappy will reach out again for detailed method cuz i believe i am unable to get the point.

Thanks anyways 🙂
Old 04-23-18, 03:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

I’ll try the simpler way first by trying the sub output from the stock amp to the new one. If its crappy will reach out again for detailed method cuz i believe i am unable to get the point.

Thanks anyways 🙂
I think I know what you mean, you wan to feed the output that goes to rear speakers into your sub amplifier. Yes you can do that depending on the sub amp you have. Have you considered just replacing the factory sub? That alone will give better sound the stock one is not exactly the most robust subwoofer. If you want heavy bass then yea you need a dedicated sub and amp.
Old 04-23-18, 11:31 PM
Mrzshezbg
Driver School Candidate

I think I know what you mean, you wan to feed the output that goes to rear speakers into your sub amplifier. Yes you can do that depending on the sub amp you have. Have you considered just replacing the factory sub? That alone will give better sound the stock one is not exactly the most robust subwoofer. If you want heavy bass then yea you need a dedicated sub and amp.
so i actuallty realised that tappung in sub wont do me any good.

this is the amp i want to install.

what i meant to say before was can i tap in rear speaker wires with the high to low connector(i shared link of) and use low input ports of amp?

my factory sub blew up so currently using a bass tube of low watts on stock amp but want to upgrade.😁
Old 04-23-18, 11:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Where it says left/right low inputs feed signal from the head unit into that, either front or back doesn't really matter. You won't be able use the front/rear fader but no big deal. You could also feed the sub output of the Pioneer into the high input of your amp. You will get better sound if you use the low inputs of your amp.
Old 04-24-18, 12:19 AM
Mrzshezbg
Driver School Candidate

Ah thanks alot mate. Will be using low of my amp

one last thing, will i be needing
https://www.jaycar.com.au/speaker-high-level-to-line-level-c.

to tap wire and use rca ports of it to connect to amp.

and what is better to tap wire near stock amp or near the rear speaker?

Quick Reply: Need Advice With Installing Subwoofer & Amp in '99 ES300