ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Thoughts on 2005 ES

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-16, 01:02 AM
LVPUNK
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on 2005 ES

I'm primarily interested in an LS 430, but I keep coming across these ES models that seem like great deals.

This one is a 2005 ES 330, original owner, all maintenance through Lexus, with 90k on clock. Willing to do 90k timing belt service as part of the sale. It's an elderly couple who are no longer able to drive. Asking is 9k OBO.

I read nothing but great reviews about this model with exception of the transmission. I read a lot of complaints online about this jerky/hesitating trannie at low speeds. This makes me very leery of even test driving it.

What should I look for when I drive it tomorrow?

Edit: Just found the big transmission thread....

Last edited by LVPUNK; 07-08-16 at 02:26 AM.
Old 07-08-16, 08:45 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by LVPUNK

Edit: Just found the big transmission thread....
That was the reason I sold mine...great car otherwise.

Here are my opinions on it:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-my-lexus.html
Old 07-08-16, 09:13 PM
BobbyJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought one of these. So for the concerns about the tranny, I have been told that it's a common characteristic for these older luxury cars; it doesn't really jolt like a sports car would. I find it really gets up to speed, but not throw you back in your seat. For 9k, you'd be paying at the higher end of the spectrum for the value of the car. I really wouldn't pay that price for the car, you can probably knock him down to high 7k to low 8k. Also, has the car seen the winter do you know?
Old 07-09-16, 12:51 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Transmission isn't as bad as people make it out to be, love driving my 2004 and honestly it's been a great car in every aspect from reliability to comfort. That being said, it doesn't compare to the LS430 which is about 10x better in ever department besides gas mileage, but you'll also be paying more than 9k and in service bills
Old 07-09-16, 11:24 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Transmission isn't as bad as people make it out to be, love driving my 2004 and honestly it's been a great car in every aspect from reliability to comfort. That being said, it doesn't compare to the LS430 which is about 10x better in ever department besides gas mileage, but you'll also be paying more than 9k and in service bills
I disagree, unless you hit the freeway/highway for a good part of your commute daily, it's not worth it.

POS in the city. Constantly looking for gears, or flaring for no reason. No power when you stomp on it and launches where you don't want it to - I FIND. If I knew better, I would've steered my old man away from an 04 RX to an 07+ at the time.

Not to say it's unreliable or anything, but it annoys the hell out of me

Look at 09+ ES if you must. Same price as CLEAN 05/06 LS430
Old 07-09-16, 05:15 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
I disagree, unless you hit the freeway/highway for a good part of your commute daily, it's not worth it.

POS in the city. Constantly looking for gears, or flaring for no reason. No power when you stomp on it and launches where you don't want it to - I FIND. If I knew better, I would've steered my old man away from an 04 RX to an 07+ at the time.

I'm glad my commute is mainly highway and freeway haha
Old 07-09-16, 10:59 PM
LVPUNK
Driver

Thanks for all the input.

It drove out nice. I did a lot of rolling stops and never felt any odd shifting.

However the overall condition of the car was more average than "excellent" as advertised. Mechanically it appeared to be fine, and she claimed to have all paperwork. But there were way too many scratches, scuff marks etc to make it worth my consideration. The interior was also in fair condition, not excellent.

It did sell to somebody else later that night though, which I thought was pretty funny. She texted me to let me know.

I need to be patient and just stick to the LS 430 me thinks. I'm going to SoCal in two weeks and maybe I can find a nice one there. Lots of junk here in Vegas. In LA there seems to be a ton of them, lower miles, and often priced 2-4k lower than here.
Old 07-10-16, 06:48 PM
Wendles
Driver School Candidate

Good luck on your hunt for the LS! I have an '05 ES but always pine after the LS 430's. They are so classy and timeless.
Old 07-11-16, 11:50 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

No complaints about the performance of my 4ES. It is not a performance car and excels at being a comfortable and affordable car with a nice interior.
Old 07-12-16, 08:41 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVPUNK
Thanks for all the input.

It drove out nice. I did a lot of rolling stops and never felt any odd shifting.

However the overall condition of the car was more average than "excellent" as advertised. Mechanically it appeared to be fine, and she claimed to have all paperwork. But there were way too many scratches, scuff marks etc to make it worth my consideration. The interior was also in fair condition, not excellent.

It did sell to somebody else later that night though, which I thought was pretty funny. She texted me to let me know.

I need to be patient and just stick to the LS 430 me thinks. I'm going to SoCal in two weeks and maybe I can find a nice one there. Lots of junk here in Vegas. In LA there seems to be a ton of them, lower miles, and often priced 2-4k lower than here.
Cruise at exactly 40mph and tell me what you feel.
Old 07-13-16, 07:52 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

I couldn't agree more. The tranny was the #1 reason I let go of my ES330, otherwise it was a fantastic car. You can't find this level of quality and reliability in cars these days, even the latest ES doesn't live up.

And yes it does depend on your commute. I recently changed commutes back to stop and go and that made me hate the ES330's tranny even more, to the point where it was making a tough commute even more stressful. It is an excellent highway car once you're up to speed however.
Old 07-13-16, 09:10 PM
80es300
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi 01LEXPL,

I thought 04-09 RX used the same 5 speed tranny. So how come there is no tranny lag on 07+ RX?
Do you know how lexus fixed it? I am thinking of a used RX but worried about this tranny lag and the power steering rack, which seem be the common problems. Not to mention the vvti hose failures.
Old 07-14-16, 07:47 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 80es300
So how come there is no tranny lag on 07+ RX?
Do you know how lexus fixed it? I am thinking of a used RX but worried about this tranny lag and the power steering rack, which seem be the common problems. Not to mention the vvti hose failures.
I have the same question as you, because I'm thinking of an 07-08 RX myself.

I know the 07+ has the newer 2GR engine, so its possible they reprogrammed the transmission with the engine update. Need to do some more digging on the RX forum and a couple more test drives.

So far every single RX for sale I've seen has had a leak coming from the inner tie rod boot. Seems like its something you can't avoid. My dad's Sienna has the same problem, its messy, but according to the level in the reservoir, it isn't loosing too much fluid, so for now he'll just top it off until the leak gets worse.
Old 07-14-16, 07:52 PM
80es300
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

speedkar9,
You mean power steering rack leak when u said inner tie rod boot? May I ask why you say 07-08 only and not 09? I just saw my Lexus dealer put up an 09 for sale (61K) but asking 19K. Will check it out
Old 07-15-16, 09:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

The family's 2008 RX shifts great, with 120k, no leaks of any sort. I did replace the inner tie rod boot though, only because it was ripped and I was trying to avoid issues in the future

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 2005 ES