ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Owner! Rides Like A Dream!

Old 06-28-16, 02:11 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Default New Owner! Rides Like A Dream!

Hey guys! Been a long time member here prior to becoming a vendor. Just got our first ES, a 97. I have had an SC400 in the past, now a 5 speed black on black SC300 and a black on black/grey GX470. Kind of a black on black nut. I've always wanted an ES300, since it's a front wheel drive, kinda big and kind of a gas saver (compared to my SC and GX).

I had to keep my black on black thing going, but lucked out on the black interior, and ended up with a grey interior instead. I am very pleased with this car. It's very spacious, not fast, but can still haul *** in the freeway. And my favorite and most surprising thing about it is the damper control and it freaking rides like a dream! It's at 175k miles, still young. Sadly, the previous owner didn't bother fixing the leaks nor doing a tuneup. I did the whole 9 yards in its first 2 weeks with me. Spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, spark plug wires, PCV, and cabin air filter. Got it back up and running, but like always, CEL.

Before the tuneup, it was running totally normal. No problems at all. Right after tuneup, its having a little rough idle, plus got the codes P0130, P0133, P0150 & P0153 for bank 1 & 2. I decided to clean up the IACV, and got it to idle properly. Then, replaced a few hoses that got torn in the process of the tuneup. But still getting the same codes despite it running perfectly. Now I'm torn. I didn't replace the O2 sensors, because in my experience those doesn't really break for now reason, and the CEL doesn't come on until after 5 miles of driving. I don't really want to replace working parts if possible, so what else could cause these codes to pop up? Any help is appreciated!

Here's a few photos of our new toy car btw!

IMG_6309 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6311 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6312 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6314 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6316 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6318 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6321 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6323 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6325 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6327 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6329 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

And yes, we weren't able to leave the headlights alone.
Old 06-28-16, 02:15 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

A couple more facts, I didn't replace the intake manifold gasket, since it looked fine, and very expensive. I also bought distributor cap and rotor, but failed to find one? Is there one? It's pre-VVTi, what controls the ignition? LOL Kinda dumbfounded on that part to be honest. TIA
Old 06-28-16, 10:14 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Pretty sure the car has ignition coils not a cap. As for the check engine light, maybe try cleaning the MAF sensor or maybe when you put everything back together you failed to connect a hose or pinched a gasket? As for the car looks to be in great shape enjoy it.
Old 06-28-16, 04:14 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice retro.

Have you inspected/replaced the coolant, brake, and power steering fluid?
Old 06-28-16, 04:29 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Pretty sure the car has ignition coils not a cap. As for the check engine light, maybe try cleaning the MAF sensor or maybe when you put everything back together you failed to connect a hose or pinched a gasket? As for the car looks to be in great shape enjoy it.
Originally Posted by Chocolate
Nice retro.

Have you inspected/replaced the coolant, brake, and power steering fluid?
Thanks for the response and compliments guys!

More info; at this point I have probably triple checked all vacuum lines for holes and routing. All I found was these 2 bigger different sized hoses that connect to the air intake and goes to the bank 2 valve cover and another one that goes to one of the solid vacuum pipes. I didn't replace the hose that's in the PCV since it looked fine, no holes or cracks. Is there like a common gasket that fails when tune up is done? I didn't replace the one for the throttle body, because the one that I ordered from RockAuto was paper, and I figured that reusing the stock sheet metal would be better? And I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to clean the MAF sensor on these cars.

Oh yeah, I also did a complete coolant flush because the previous owner used the green stuff and I hate that. The brake and power steering fluid looks clean too so I didn't bother.

Dang, really love this place. Great community.
Old 06-29-16, 07:03 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

First off, congratulations on such a clean ES. It's great to have you here.

I did a quick search on your codes and this thread came up. The OP stated that his issues went away after fixing a brake booster leak.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...and-p0153.html
Old 06-29-16, 07:57 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrBooby
First off, congratulations on such a clean ES. It's great to have you here.

I did a quick search on your codes and this thread came up. The OP stated that his issues went away after fixing a brake booster leak.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...and-p0153.html
Thank for the help! I actually saw that thread through my research. I've had a brake booster go out on my good old SC400, and you would know if it was the brake booster. That experience was something else. The brake pedal would actually become very stiff and would take a lot of effort to put the car to a halt. I highly doubt that I broke it while doing a tuneup. I was hoping some people would have some insight for the "common" vacuum lines that fail or can cause these types of codes, because in the SC section there's a list or guidelines for what are the common causes of such codes. Thank you though, I really appreciate that!
Old 07-01-16, 04:16 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm first square retro i've seen on a rounded curved headlight, i kind of like it!
Old 07-02-16, 03:28 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gabzor
hmmm first square retro i've seen on a rounded curved headlight, i kind of like it!
Thanks for the compliment! But you really think it looks rounded? That funny cause it looked really squared to me, personally. LOL Really had a hard time deciding what projector to use.

Can anyone confirm if what I'm planning to do is possible? I'm wanting to swap the front bumper to the later years, I think it's 98-01 with a lower valance and non-fluted fog lights, and rear lights with the clear turn signals. Thanks!
Old 07-03-16, 12:52 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

You will need new fog lights for the bumper swap to look right, everything else will work.
Old 07-03-16, 10:00 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Organized Garage Status
Thanks for the compliment! But you really think it looks rounded? That funny cause it looked really squared to me, personally. LOL Really had a hard time deciding what projector to use.

Can anyone confirm if what I'm planning to do is possible? I'm wanting to swap the front bumper to the later years, I think it's 98-01 with a lower valance and non-fluted fog lights, and rear lights with the clear turn signals. Thanks!
When I did my fog retro, in retrospect, I should have just cut and formed some clear lexan instead of getting new fog covers. You could do the same to get clear covers with full output without the expense of a new bumper.
Old 07-03-16, 10:30 PM
jcarreraj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice headlights! Are those available on your website?
Old 07-27-16, 09:20 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

big wheels and lowered means a complete suspension overhaul in the near future.
Old 07-27-16, 05:01 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Not really that big wheels. The most I would go is 18's. And I love the adjustable damper settings. Might just go with Tein Type Flex which I have on my SC300 right now when the suspension completely goes out, but lowering is not on the list as this is a good daily, which is why we chose a front wheel drive.