ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-03, 08:15 PM
jhenty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Intake?

Would an air intake even do anything significant for a 92-96 es? I found an air intake for $40 and im wondering if it will make a noticable increase. If it will, does anyone know how to install one? Thanks
Old 05-02-03, 11:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

what year is your ES?

The 92-93 3VZ-FE V6 has a different MAF than the 1MZ-FE found in 94-96 models. Intakes really don't do much for a stock motor. It's more of a noise maker than anything else. Especially on 1MZ-FE's where it likes to make the engine run really rich and in some cases just keeps the CEL on. Also kills your low end torque due to more hot air ingestion at startup.
Old 05-03-03, 08:32 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what flipside said is right but only pertinant to the short pipes( one with a filter in the engine bay)
a true cold air sytem will increase performance and gas milage
but for 40 it will only be a short pipe
Old 05-03-03, 10:46 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by skperformance
what flipside said is right but only pertinant to the short pipes( one with a filter in the engine bay)
a true cold air sytem will increase performance and gas milage
but for 40 it will only be a short pipe
Something in addition, no two cold air intakes are alike. Some CAIs give actual gains, some give no gains compared to the OEM airbox. The OEM airbox is the optimal solution for cold air induction and is a much better option for performance compared to short ram intakes. The CAIs made for the 1MZ-FE really haven't yielded much in HP. We've measured 1 to 3 fwhp gains on different 1MZ models.
Old 05-03-03, 11:55 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

well it all depends on who and how it is made then
as i leave stock es's quite easily at a light as there is considerable difference in low end torque
also have reduced the steep drop in hp and torque from the camry v6 at 4200 rpm
as the other 1mz-fe's i have personally seen their dyno graphs in Toronto who suffer from this problem
i have nothing negative to say about a cai only short air pipes
but the people you ( flipside) may have seen only a difference of 1-3 hp might try getting a new filter
as i did notice a very good gain in power once i changed the original cone filter which i first used was not sufficent for my car
so i changed to a k&n cone from a 5.0L mustang much larger surface area and different design
and it really brought the engine to life
also no more worries of water induction and grenading ( as the filters design restricts that)
Old 05-03-03, 12:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Yeah, the filters we used are a cylindrical K&N filter and a cone K&N and the results were the same. Alot of it has to do with the relocation of the MAF at an optimal point...and the optimal size for the piping...both of which aftermarket companies are still trying to figure out i.e. Cattman performance.
Old 05-03-03, 12:46 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

hmm sounds like i just got lucky then
Old 05-03-03, 03:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Yep, well the proof is in the numbers on the dynosheets...not the butt dyno.
Old 05-03-03, 07:43 PM
MCV20
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

for some reason i feel the short ram intake would be more powerful and rpm climb up much quicker in high rpm/ HWY, is that my own feeling or actually ture..?

would the short ram intake be an advantage for 1mzfe (more air in)..? since the engine is kind of lack of power on high rpm, also is it ture that the ECU on the ES300 can sense how much air flow in and do the adjustment to make it act quicker..(i knw that the ECU will adjust the timing depend on what kind of fuel are u running(octune 87,89,92) is it the same as air flow sensor..?
Old 05-04-03, 12:50 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

short pipe =
hot air under the hood in the engine compartment =
oxygen molecules already spread apart in volume =
less oxygen in the combustion chamber for a more efficent burn =
lower compression as the hot air already expanded ( much easier to compress)
no engine benifits from a short pipe

the engine will retard timing if it feels predetonation
which can be atributed to bad fuel or wrong octane level or dirty cabon particles causeing hot spots pre igniting the fuel

the air flow sensor adjust timing and fuel acording to volume of air passing it
Old 05-04-03, 03:06 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by MCV20
for some reason i feel the short ram intake would be more powerful and rpm climb up much quicker in high rpm/ HWY, is that my own feeling or actually ture..?

would the short ram intake be an advantage for 1mzfe (more air in)..? since the engine is kind of lack of power on high rpm, also is it ture that the ECU on the ES300 can sense how much air flow in and do the adjustment to make it act quicker..(i knw that the ECU will adjust the timing depend on what kind of fuel are u running(octune 87,89,92) is it the same as air flow sensor..?
I'm not a real fan of short rams. The only reason you would feel a short ram intake being substantial in performance is in the excess noise it makes. You really hurt your horsepower by injesting hotter air into the intake.

The short ram is more of a disadvantage because it draws air directly from the hot engine bay. The 1MZ-FE's knock sensors are designed to retard or advance timing when it detects knock...which allows you to switch from 87 up to 92 or greater octane. The ECU senses the octane and adjusts timing accordingly by how much the engine knocks/pings. The MAF is designed to read air flow and adjusts the air/fuel mixture accordingly to either richen or lean out the fuel delivery to the motor. When the MAF senses more air...it will compensate with more fuel and etc. Since the short ram intake for the non vvti 1MZ-FE for 97 and newer has the MAF sensor at a non optimum location, the MAF will read increased airflow which allows your engine to run too rich...which will later just foul out your spark plugs faster. If you were to get a smog check here in CA, your car will automatically fail 1) Visual inspection and 2) will fail the CO and HC tests.
Old 05-04-03, 09:27 PM
MCV20
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by flipside909
I'm not a real fan of short rams. The only reason you would feel a short ram intake being substantial in performance is in the excess noise it makes. You really hurt your horsepower by injesting hotter air into the intake.

The short ram is more of a disadvantage because it draws air directly from the hot engine bay. The 1MZ-FE's knock sensors are designed to retard or advance timing when it detects knock...which allows you to switch from 87 up to 92 or greater octane. The ECU senses the octane and adjusts timing accordingly by how much the engine knocks/pings. The MAF is designed to read air flow and adjusts the air/fuel mixture accordingly to either richen or lean out the fuel delivery to the motor. When the MAF senses more air...it will compensate with more fuel and etc. Since the short ram intake for the non vvti 1MZ-FE for 97 and newer has the MAF sensor at a non optimum location, the MAF will read increased airflow which allows your engine to run too rich...which will later just foul out your spark plugs faster. If you were to get a smog check here in CA, your car will automatically fail 1) Visual inspection and 2) will fail the CO and HC tests.
so those little bottle of "octane booster" would give us more HP more directly... m i rite
Old 05-04-03, 09:34 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

If you consider fractions of a horsepower...gains, then yes. Octane booster only raises octane by points or fractions of one octane...not actual whole numbers.