ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 ES 300 fuel fill pipe metal door..

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-16, 09:19 AM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 ES 300 fuel fill pipe metal door..

I've had my ES 300 since last October, and have had no issues. It is my first Japanese car and the quality and reliability surprised me. Very happy with it.

Anywho...

I went to fill up gas today, (second time trying out premium gas), and I noticed, the little circle where I physically put the gas nozzle in, did not have the little metal door that usually covers the hole. I'm not talking about the fuel door (square one). I'm talking about the tiny metal circular cover thingy that is visible when you remove the gas cap. I assume it is to keep dirt/debris out of the gas tank.

I assume it is spring loaded and should shut whenever there is no gas nozzle inserted. But I am worried perhaps it broke and fell down into the gas tank? I can't see it, but will look with a light soon.. Also I will add photos soon..

I hope I described the situation correctly and in an understandable way..

Basically I have two main questions..

1. Has this ever happened to anyone? Did you fix it? Was it easy? Will this damage my car? (Explode!)

2. Might as well ask.. Does premium gas make a difference?

Please help, I have looked online and it is hard to find any info on this situation. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-16, 12:21 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Well that's fairly odd...

Not normal, but it can't do any harm if it's in the tank. It won't rust, and it can't be sucked into any intake or cause harm. I imagine you'll just have to be a little careful about debris around the actual cap when you take it off, but that's not difficult.

Your PCU will adapt the engine variables for the octane gas you use, and the current fuel additive standards in top-brand fuel mean it doesn't have any long-term impact on engine/intake health. With that in mind, I feel a nice little pep with premium, though the mpg effect doesn't USUALLY warrant the cost. When the cost gap is small, I buy it. A bigger boost comes from tracking down E0 if you have it available or affordably. There is an app "Pure Gas" for that. If I am taking a long trip and going to spend the better part of a day or so in the car, I'll try to put in premium or E0 (or preferrably both) for the slight performance benefit because I can enjoy it in a big dose. In daily driving it seems to not matter to me.
Old 04-12-16, 11:19 AM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oro
Well that's fairly odd...

Not normal, but it can't do any harm if it's in the tank. It won't rust, and it can't be sucked into any intake or cause harm. I imagine you'll just have to be a little careful about debris around the actual cap when you take it off, but that's not difficult.

Your PCU will adapt the engine variables for the octane gas you use, and the current fuel additive standards in top-brand fuel mean it doesn't have any long-term impact on engine/intake health. With that in mind, I feel a nice little pep with premium, though the mpg effect doesn't USUALLY warrant the cost. When the cost gap is small, I buy it. A bigger boost comes from tracking down E0 if you have it available or affordably. There is an app "Pure Gas" for that. If I am taking a long trip and going to spend the better part of a day or so in the car, I'll try to put in premium or E0 (or preferrably both) for the slight performance benefit because I can enjoy it in a big dose. In daily driving it seems to not matter to me.
Yea my father said the same thing, that it shouldn't do any damage, just to be careful not to let anything get in there. Which should not be hard. I don't know how it happened though, strange. Anywho thanks for the info.
Old 04-12-16, 01:29 PM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

is that a picture of YOUR filler? Looks normal to me! What do you think is missing?
Old 04-12-16, 03:16 PM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmatheny
is that a picture of YOUR filler? Looks normal to me! What do you think is missing?

Yes, that's it in its current state.

I SWEAR there was metal covering the hole from inside the tube somehow.. Otherwise I'm tripping...
Old 04-12-16, 05:02 PM
koreywill
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Flapper

OK, RTF. You really got my curiosity up so I went out and checked the gas filler neck on my 2003 ES. It looks just like the picture above - no flap. My 2005 Corolla does not have one either. But, my 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager does have a metal flap in the filler neck. No flap is normal for the Lexus as far as I can tell.
Old 04-12-16, 05:49 PM
RTF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by koreywill
OK, RTF. You really got my curiosity up so I went out and checked the gas filler neck on my 2003 ES. It looks just like the picture above - no flap. My 2005 Corolla does not have one either. But, my 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager does have a metal flap in the filler neck. No flap is normal for the Lexus as far as I can tell.
Nice! Ha. Thanks for checking yours as well. Perhaps maybe they come off easily?? Because I could've SWORN there was a metal flap thing.. The reason I think this is because I would've noticed if it was gone earlier. I think it happened two days ago when I first noticed it.

Come to think of it, I was filling gas, the day I noticed it, and the pump kept stopping (as if the tank were full). And I went into the station and told them, and they said it may not be getting good suction, etc.. So maybe the flap was still in the hose and was causing an issue or something before it went into the tank.

ANYWHO... I may very well be tripping... I really cannot for the life of me remember for sure if there was a metal flap thingy.. If it turns out they didn't come with one, I'll feel real stupid ha..
Old 04-13-16, 11:05 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

I'll check mine and report back. Maybe I'M tripping!
Old 04-13-16, 08:16 PM
Gabagule
Driver School Candidate

There is no metal flap on the 4ES. I do know the 3ES has one though.
Old 04-14-16, 06:25 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Mine doesn't have one!