ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Fast left blinker

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-03, 09:39 AM
skelley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lexusk8
Whichever bulb is affected (front or back) should be taken care of. Let's see, for your '99 ES, the part # for the front turn signal is 1157A, and the rear turn signal is 7440. The front one is very easy to replace. Just pop the hood, locate the grayish plastic circular cover behind the headlight, grab and turn in one direction, and pull out the 1157A bulb. (The pictures below are for the '96 ES, but the bulb type is the same as the '99).

The rear one is a little difficult to replace because you need to open up the trunk carpet lining (held on by either plastic screws or pegs) to get to the tailight assembly. After you pull down the lining, you'll see several long and short 10mm bolts, and I believe you only need to remove 3 bolts from each tailight assembly (I don't know which 3 though). After that, you should be able to pull the tailight away from the car, and from there you'll have access to the tailight bulbs. That's the best I can explain, but I'm sure there's a search in the ES forums detailing more info in removing the tailight assembly.

Hope this helps,
Doug

Doug, I have a 1996 ES300. How do you get to the assembly you show? I have a fast blinker on the Left also. I don't see the gray bulb holder you reference in your diagram. Do you have to remove the plastic cover that spans the front top? If so, are the plastic rivits removable w/o damage? I am not sure about other models but my left assembly is buried behind the battery and a fuse box.

Thanks Scott
Old 06-12-03, 10:34 AM
snboarder8
Driver

you have to remove the assembly to get to the turn signal bulb. remove the plastic cover that runs the length of the front by taking out the plastic clips. they remove without damage. then, there are 3 bolts that hold your headlamp in place. they are easy to spot. unscrew them then gently pull the assembly out towards you. the turn signal bulb is located on the bottom side. hope this helps
Old 06-12-03, 11:07 AM
skelley
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by snboarder8
you have to remove the assembly to get to the turn signal bulb. remove the plastic cover that runs the length of the front by taking out the plastic clips. they remove without damage. then, there are 3 bolts that hold your headlamp in place. they are easy to spot. unscrew them then gently pull the assembly out towards you. the turn signal bulb is located on the bottom side. hope this helps
Thanks a lot. You confirmed what I suspected. Seems like a lot of work to change a bulb. I think mine is corroded. Getting fast flash and the bulb is still flashing...
Old 06-12-03, 12:04 PM
snboarder8
Driver

that's the same problem i had, check out my post "annoying blinker". i found out that the problem was the contacts on the bulb holder. there are three contacts that are on the outer edge of the holder. i cleaned those well and my blinker was back to normal. this might be your problem as well if your bulb is perfectly fine. just buy a new one to make sure, they are really cheap.
Old 06-12-03, 12:10 PM
skelley
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by snboarder8
that's the same problem i had, check out my post "annoying blinker". i found out that the problem was the contacts on the bulb holder. there are three contacts that are on the outer edge of the holder. i cleaned those well and my blinker was back to normal. this might be your problem as well if your bulb is perfectly fine. just buy a new one to make sure, they are really cheap.
Sounds like excellent advice. I did read your "annoying blinker" thread which was where I got the idea that it may be corroded. Thanks a lot.
Old 06-13-03, 09:16 AM
99es
Driver School Candidate

I started to have this problem too. The Lexus dealer said it was a loose connection because if both the front and back blinkers still flash, the bulbs are still good. He said to turn on the blinker that is flashing too fast, go to the front flasher, hit it with the palm of your hand until the blinking slows down.

Strange, but it worked for me.
Old 06-20-03, 10:46 AM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

Can anyone give me the "remove your headligh assembly" for dummies class. I want to clear the corners on my 97
Old 06-20-03, 01:40 PM
SlashBecks
Rookie

here's the one i used...

hometown.aol.com/seanmcelligott/

this is for the earlier ES, yours should be similar, correct me if i'm wrong anyone...
Old 06-23-03, 10:30 AM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

I guess I just need to know how to take the assembly off, because the 97 model corners are sold retail and I don't have to melt them off
Old 08-03-04, 07:00 PM
TCwindom
Pole Position

I want to put a clear bulb in for the regular running corner lights, I can do this with the headlights still on the car correct? What Bulb number am I going to need?

thanks
Old 08-04-04, 02:38 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm I don't think you can do it unless your arms are pencil skinny and are flexible as rubber....

Bulb number is 1157.
Old 08-04-04, 06:23 PM
TCwindom
Pole Position

shat! dang .. i'll wait till one goes out then
Old 08-04-04, 07:22 PM
juan01
Pole Position

It doesn't really take that long... just a few screws and it pops right out.

Do you have clear corners? It really doesn't matter if you change it out with a clear bulb because it will still flash out amber....
Old 08-04-04, 08:15 PM
TCwindom
Pole Position

it's got the yellow strip at the bottoms... but i was thinking if I changed the regular corner light bulbs (the ones that come on before the headlights) to a clear the top part would be clear.
Old 08-04-04, 11:34 PM
juan01
Pole Position

They will still come out amber.

Quick Reply: Fast left blinker