ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Timing belt noise 05 Lexus ES 330

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-16, 10:08 PM
es330on22s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt noise 05 Lexus ES 330

Metal on metal like noise from timing belt area for the last 6 months Lexus records show timing belt and water pump changed at 89,000 miles the car now has about 145,000 miles on it I brought the car with about 125,000 on it and noticed the noise around 130,000 but it's possible that the noise was there the whole time so anyways I had everything changed including TB water pump idler bearing and something else because the noise was driving me up a wall and the noise is still there so my mechanic says to just leave it alone what could this be,and by the way the noise seems to really be loud once the car warms up and is even louder on warmer days I will attach a video of the sound
Old 02-27-16, 10:14 PM
es330on22s
Driver School Candidate

PS: and I know you shouldn't do this but out of curiosity my mechanic sprayed a little sea foam lubricant into timing belt area under the cover and the noise disappeared for about 2 days weird
Old 02-27-16, 10:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,705 Likes on 2,290 Posts

Does your keyboard have a period? Anyway I had what sounds like the same issue it turned out to be the timing belt itself, I tried a Mitsuboshi and also a genuine Toyota the noise persisted. I solved it by installing the Dayco 95257 timing belt which turned out to be a really nice belt, very soft and pliable rubber.

The noise does sound like metal on metal but it's not, it is a combination of the metal cam gears and rubber which causes a harmonic reaction. I have read that replacing the cam gears can fix the problem but I didn't go that route.
Old 02-27-16, 10:19 PM
es330on22s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Does your keyboard have a period? Anyway I had what sounds like the same issue it turned out to be the timing belt itself, I tried a Mitsuboshi and also a genuine Toyota the noise persisted. I solved it by installing the Dayco 95257 timing belt which turned out to be a really nice belt, very soft and pliable rubber.

The noise does sound like metal on metal but it's not, it is a combination of the metal cam gears and rubber which causes a harmonic reaction. I have read that replacing the cam gears can fix the problem but I didn't go that route.
lol I'm at work trying to type fast, but do you think it would hurt anything if I just leave it how it is?
Old 02-27-16, 10:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

If it is the same problem as I had no it won't hurt anything. But I hated the noise, and like your car it would get worse the hotter the engine and outside temperature. BTW even though my car is low mileage I replaced the water pump anyway trying to get rid of the problem that was a waste of time and money.
Old 02-27-16, 10:29 PM
es330on22s
Driver School Candidate

If it is the same problem as I had no it won't hurt anything. But I hated the noise, and like your car it would get worse the hotter the engine and outside temperature. BTW even though my car is low mileage I replaced the water pump anyway trying to get rid of the problem that was a waste of time and money.
what year is your Es ?
Old 02-27-16, 10:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

2000 as my username suggests. But the engine in your car uses the same timing belt setup (except the tensioner is a bit different) the timing belt itself is identical.
Old 02-27-16, 10:37 PM
es330on22s
Driver School Candidate

2000 as my username suggests. But the engine in your car uses the same timing belt setup (except the tensioner is a bit different) the timing belt itself is identical.
Thanks for the info!!
Old 02-27-16, 10:39 PM
es330on22s
Driver School Candidate

Default Any other Opinions??????

Anybody else have any opinions on the sound?
Old 02-28-16, 05:52 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the exact same sound on my 2005 ES, from the same front-camshaft area.

I've taken off the accessory belts and it was still there. Then I opened up the timing covers and tried listening to the sound but I couldn't pinpoint it to any particular pulley. It went away for a few days after I buttoned everything back up but came back since.

It seems to get louder as the engine warms up and can only be heard while standing outside in front of the car.

I did find my crappy Gates water pump leaking though, I'm not sure if that's whats causing it.

Name:  IMG_4538.jpg
Views: 2200
Size:  151.3 KB

There are others with the 3MZ-FE engine that have this sound, like this Sienna:

Old 02-28-16, 06:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Tricky problem to diagnose because the timing belt noise sounds so similar to a bad bearing. I did make a video of the noise on my car before I replaced the timing belt but unfortunately I can't find the file (maybe deleted it).

That Gates water pump, typical of the brand they don't last at all.
Old 02-28-16, 06:46 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Contrary to what I said in the other post (did not have the video/audio link), I do not think it is a TB tensioner. Because those are hydraulically dampened, the frequency is lower. I do think it could very likely be a TB pulley.

The upside is the car will run fine like that. The downside is the wobble on the pulley can get bad enough as the bearings wear to create a tension to loosen the pulley bolt. Then the pulley walks off and eventually you have a TB failure. I have seen it happen (not a Toyota, but another make Japanese engine, but no reason it could not happen here also).
Old 02-28-16, 07:00 PM
es330on22s
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
I have the exact same sound on my 2005 ES, from the same front-camshaft area.

I've taken off the accessory belts and it was still there. Then I opened up the timing covers and tried listening to the sound but I couldn't pinpoint it to any particular pulley. It went away for a few days after I buttoned everything back up but came back since.

It seems to get louder as the engine warms up and can only be heard while standing outside in front of the car.

I did find my crappy Gates water pump leaking though, I'm not sure if that's whats causing it.

There are others with the 3MZ-FE engine that have this sound, like this Sienna:

Toyota sienna engine noise - YouTube
Yea I've seen that video on YouTube along with a few others and they all solved the problem with various solutions. But at this point idk what to do the sound is very annoying and makes me think that my timing belt will break at any second and I heard out engines are interference meaning it would cause severe damage 😖
Old 02-28-16, 07:07 PM
es330on22s
Driver School Candidate

Default Crankshaft pulley recall

Does anybody think that this could be linked to the crankshaft pulley recall in 2011? My Lexus records show that it was done but I wonder if it's possible that it went bad again.
Old 02-28-16, 07:58 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

I was unaware of that recall (not intimately familiar with that narrow year range). But it sure sounds like it might result in a noise like that. That's still only one possibility. Here's the details I just found:

It would be pretty easy to localize the noise to the CS pulley. You remove the RF wheel, inner panel, and then you can run the car and check the pulley as a possible source. There's likely somebody somewhere who posted about this and the resulting noise somewhere - possibly a Toyota forum since there are more vehicles involved.

Quick Reply: Timing belt noise 05 Lexus ES 330