ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Stereo Tips & Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-16, 11:10 AM
offremike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo Tips & Advice

Anyone replace the stereo or just the speakers/tweeters for the 98-01 Version of the ES300? Not sure how different it is to the 99-00 when it comes to stereo layout, but I have the Coach Edition, which falls under the 98-01 version (the Platinum version falls under 99-00 from what i read).

I want to keep the CD/Tape/Radio and just replace the speakers/tweeters with some better ones (Everything in my car, stereo wise, is stock). I lean more on the audiophile side, which is why I'm looking to get more out of my stereo without needing to replace it.

By the way, I actually don't know what exactly a tweeter does and I was hoping someone may have a simple explanation of what they actually do.

I also want to think about adding extra audio equipment to get the most out of my audio/bass if someone happens to have any advice.

I won't lose my **** if someones advice is to just not touch it or replace it with the same exact speakers/tweeters but just newer in order to not mess with the OEM system, just figured I'd ask. Thank you to whomever replies.
Old 02-10-16, 01:43 PM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tweeter is for higher frequencies, usually above 2000 hz
Old 02-10-16, 07:00 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hehe, wow, great minds think alike.

Actually I just got through buying all the parts needed to do a Nakamichi system swap.

Found this guy's Post back a few years ago, not sure if he still owns his ES, he was selling the setup in the classifieds but he never replied to my e-mail so I would assume it's sold.

here's the thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...nakamichi.html

Caveat is that he said in the end he didn't like how some of the lower frequencies cut out??? idk if I am an audiophile enough to tell the difference, Clear and Loud is good enough for me.

The only oddity that is needed is that coaxial cable he wrote about. I found the connectors on Digikey (I previously did a NAV retrofit in my 2008 R32 and used them for GPS antenna parts)

Parts I ordered: GT5-1S housings, F terminal pins and pin Retainers. Also bought 20feet of USA made Beldin RG174 Coaxial cable.

I managed to find all the parts I needed on eBay, I was shooting for parts from an 00-01 as I wanted them the same year or newer than what I had. Gotta be careful though I think some sellers are listing their parts wrong. Some listed CD Changer w/Nakamichi yet the pictures of donor's car interior Deck doesn't have the Nakamichi logo???

I found that it was safer to search for the part#s themselves.

I'm hoping to get all the parts by late next week. But not sure when I'll find the time to install it all.

I installed JBL speakers in my 99 Camry and loved them, but I also had a newer aftermarket Pioneer deck installed.

Not sure at this moment if I will upgrading the speakers, I may go with JBL speakers again, but I need to figure out what adapter brackets will work in the ES if they are the same as the Camry, but I already know the rear speakers are different.

ES300 has 6.5" speakers all around. the 97-01 Camry uses 6.5" fronts and 6X9 Rears.
Old 02-11-16, 04:15 AM
offremike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 808mcv20l
hehe, wow, great minds think alike.

Actually I just got through buying all the parts needed to do a Nakamichi system swap.

Found this guy's Post back a few years ago, not sure if he still owns his ES, he was selling the setup in the classifieds but he never replied to my e-mail so I would assume it's sold.

here's the thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...nakamichi.html

Caveat is that he said in the end he didn't like how some of the lower frequencies cut out??? idk if I am an audiophile enough to tell the difference, Clear and Loud is good enough for me.

The only oddity that is needed is that coaxial cable he wrote about. I found the connectors on Digikey (I previously did a NAV retrofit in my 2008 R32 and used them for GPS antenna parts)

Parts I ordered: GT5-1S housings, F terminal pins and pin Retainers. Also bought 20feet of USA made Beldin RG174 Coaxial cable.

I managed to find all the parts I needed on eBay, I was shooting for parts from an 00-01 as I wanted them the same year or newer than what I had. Gotta be careful though I think some sellers are listing their parts wrong. Some listed CD Changer w/Nakamichi yet the pictures of donor's car interior Deck doesn't have the Nakamichi logo???

I found that it was safer to search for the part#s themselves.

I'm hoping to get all the parts by late next week. But not sure when I'll find the time to install it all.

I installed JBL speakers in my 99 Camry and loved them, but I also had a newer aftermarket Pioneer deck installed.

Not sure at this moment if I will upgrading the speakers, I may go with JBL speakers again, but I need to figure out what adapter brackets will work in the ES if they are the same as the Camry, but I already know the rear speakers are different.

ES300 has 6.5" speakers all around. the 97-01 Camry uses 6.5" fronts and 6X9 Rears.
I read his thread but as confused by it. Was he trying to say the stock ones are actually pioneer for the 99 ES300? or was he saying you should get the Pioneers instead?
Old 02-11-16, 12:27 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Originally Posted by offremike
I read his thread but as confused by it. Was he trying to say the stock ones are actually pioneer for the 99 ES300? or was he saying you should get the Pioneers instead?
I think you're confused, here's some background.

For 97-01 ES300's Pioneer was the "base" Audio system.

"Nakamichi" was the factory "Optional" Audio system meaning you had to pay more for this option.

see here:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...pecifications/

Look under features and options, you'll see that it cost $3,015 more at retail for it in 2000.

Because of this, Nakamichi systems are rarer than the base Pioneer systems.

Actually I believe the Radio and CD Changer is still manufactured by Pioneer for Nakamichi, the only difference is the addition of the Blue Coaxial connector to the CD changer. I've heard they won't work if you mix them, pioneer system w/ Nakamichi, so you need to buy the entire setup if you want to retrofit.

If you look at the Pioneer amp vs the Nakamichi one, you can see that the Nakamichi one is way more substantial.

I think what the guy in the thread was saying is that he wasn't quite satisfied with Nakamichi even if it was supposed to be the "higher end audio system".

I guess I won't know if I hear it for myself, but in general I know that Clear and Loud I like lol.
Old 02-11-16, 01:36 PM
offremike
Driver School Candidate

I fully understand. I'll check my car again to see which one I have (unless I gotta take it out of the console to see). I'm not the original owner and since it's the Coach Edition, I'm HOPING if you're spending more for that edition, you might as well go all out on the stereo.
Old 02-11-16, 01:41 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

I doubt Nakamichi was standard on Coach editions. I have a Platinum and it wasn't standard.

you can tell which you have by looking at the upper right corner, if it says "Nakamichi" you're golden, if it says "Compact Disc" then you got Pioneer.

you can look at one for sale here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-LEXUS-E...RWN7WO&vxp=mtr
Old 02-11-16, 01:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Look under features and options, you'll see that it cost $3,015 more at retail for it in 2000.
Damn, very pricey option.
Old 02-11-16, 02:09 PM
offremike
Driver School Candidate

I doubt Nakamichi was standard on Coach editions. I have a Platinum and it wasn't standard.

you can tell which you have by looking at the upper right corner, if it says "Nakamichi" you're golden, if it says "Compact Disc" then you got Pioneer.

Thank you very much. I think mines may be Pioneer looking at that head unit. Does the year matter or as long as it's within the same generation? I'd still need to look for the amp, which one of the last posts mentioned.
Old 02-11-16, 02:45 PM
offremike
Driver School Candidate

I also noticed that if I look specifically for a 1999 head unit with Nakamichi it's nowhere in sight. Anyway I can find the part number to my exact year?
Old 02-11-16, 03:11 PM
lsiberian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A JL Audio or Harman(Infinity, JBL, Harman) system would be a definite upgrade IMO.

A Tweeter is the high frequency driver used for sounds above the systems crossover. Tweeters typically need to be aimed at your ears to be effective. This is why they put them higher on the door in the mirror compartment. The Woofer is less directional so it doesn't need to be aimed at your ears. I've done some installs on this car and toyotas around the same time and while it's a fairly straight forward install. The door handle plastic is very prone to breaking. I personally wont put money in a car audio system. It's literally the worst sound environment you could invent.
Old 02-11-16, 03:59 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

I think they are all compatible for years 97-01

Here's the part #s that I used, which is for 00-01
86120-33380 Radio/Tape Deck w/Nakamichi
86100-33041 Nakamichi Amplifier, there's also a 86100-33040 you can use.
86270-33060 Nakamichi 6Disc Changer

There's no Toyota part# for the coaxial cable, you need to make one yourself.
they sell the GT5-1S connectors on ebay and RG174 cable. (Thank you to the guy who originally posted up this info)

I bought those from Digikey, cause I think they are better quality than the ones coming from China. Digikey sells the ones from "Hirose Electrial" sounds like from Japan.

For the RG174 cable I found a seller on ebay selling a roll of 20' coax, I think they buy in bulk and sell smaller quantities to people.

I bought the Beldin (not Belkin) brand which I've used before for TV coax, which is made in the USA.

I have some crimping tools so making that digital cable for this retrofit shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-12-16, 11:25 AM
offremike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lsiberian
A JL Audio or Harman(Infinity, JBL, Harman) system would be a definite upgrade IMO.

A Tweeter is the high frequency driver used for sounds above the systems crossover. Tweeters typically need to be aimed at your ears to be effective. This is why they put them higher on the door in the mirror compartment. The Woofer is less directional so it doesn't need to be aimed at your ears. I've done some installs on this car and toyotas around the same time and while it's a fairly straight forward install. The door handle plastic is very prone to breaking. I personally wont put money in a car audio system. It's literally the worst sound environment you could invent.
Would going to crutchfield be a good place to start for the brands you commended? Like I mentioned before, I'm a big audio person and I plan to do my best to keep my car for at the least 5 years. So i wouldn't mind putting the money into it.