ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Modding 1999 Lexus ES300

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 08:56 AM
offremike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any one have any advice about the stereo change/upgrade I'm hoping to make?
Old 02-05-16, 08:59 AM
offremike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Swapping in an ES330 3MZ Engine isn't for the faint hearted in a 3rd gen ES. Everything is different, starting with the drive by wire system, transmission, mounts etc.

What I've read some Toyota MR2 owners do is use a 3MZ-FE block with a 1MZ-FE headers and intake control.

The main advantage of the 3MZ over the 1MZ is midrange torque, though at the expense of noise and refinement. I love the highway pull I get on my ES330! However at the upper end it doesn't pull as hard, where as the 1MZ in my Solara peaks in its upper range.

The TRD Supercharger is another option, but I believe it was mostly intended for the non-VVT-i 1MZ-FE engines, like in the Gen 1 Solara.

Either way, the 210HP with your current setup is pretty much as much as you're going to get out of it right now without spending more than your car is worth. Assuming you're caught up on maintenance, you can personalize smaller things, such as HID/ LED light upgrades, tints and a nice set of rims.
Have any advice on headlights? everywhere I go they only show replacement headlights instead of different headlights. My tires are 15s and I'm wondering if it's better or worse for the car in my current state (MA) if I get 16s/17s. I don't mind keeping my 15s, but whatever makes for better driving in general or during winter is cool with me.
Old 02-05-16, 08:47 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You should check out "1MZ-FE" on Facebook. They have some ideas on engine mods.
The following users liked this post:
Cloudyview (12-19-20)
Old 02-07-16, 05:45 AM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Sorry to tell you but you wasted your money. The intake system on these cars is very good and does not restrict the engine in any way.
That right there is the biggest lie I've read 😂😂

The intake is absolutely HORRIBLE on the twin throttle cars.
Old 02-07-16, 08:09 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Prove it.

Old 02-07-16, 05:14 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Prove it.

I have. I already designed my own intake that was better then the OEM with the 1/4 mile and dyno sheets. I even put it up for sale!
Old 02-08-16, 10:11 AM
offremike
Driver School Candidate

Ok, well since adding performance shouldn't be something I look for with this car would there be any advice on making my drive any smoother and more reliable/durable? I had read that when the 99 ES was released one of the options to add was air suspension, any thoughts on that?

FYI...I have a pre-2000 Lexus on purpose, not because I can't afford a newer car. I am impressed by reviews for LS/ES between 92 and 99. I initially wanted a 95/96/97 LS but it's hard to find in MA because most people who have one don't want to sell it or when they do, they ask for way more then their car is worth (including the issues that come with the car they happen to be selling).
Old 02-08-16, 01:14 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offremike
FYI...I have a pre-2000 Lexus on purpose, not because I can't afford a newer car.
Personally I've owned newer cars and more expensive cars, but reason I bought my '00 ES300 was because I liked the look and style of the 00-01 ES300. Coming from a 99 Camry we got from a family friend for cheap that I owned for about 1 year I liked the power and smoothness of the 1MZ-FE.

These Toyota/Lexus are quite serviceable and lots of parts out there.
The other good thing is they aren't targeted by thieves like Hondas are.

One day I was searching Craigslist for RX330s for a coworker and came upon my ES300, it was in excellent condition, original owner and only had 46k miles, and it was the 00-01 year I was looking for. I just had to buy it.

Personally I like the 00-01 vs the 97-99, I am fortunate to have a "Platinum series" model so it comes with a lot of the optional parts like HIDs, Sunroof, Woodgrain Steering wheel, 16" wheels, and textured leather.

BTW, the 97-98 Models were non VVTI and used the more reliable U541E transmissions. These have single butterfly Throttlebody

99-01(99 being pre face lift) was VVTI and U140E which is more prone to failure if the trans fluid isn't changed regularly. These have the dual butterflies.
Old 02-08-16, 01:45 PM
offremike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 808mcv20l
Personally I've owned newer cars and more expensive cars, but reason I bought my '00 ES300 was because I liked the look and style of the 00-01 ES300. Coming from a 99 Camry we got from a family friend for cheap that I owned for about 1 year I liked the power and smoothness of the 1MZ-FE.

These Toyota/Lexus are quite serviceable and lots of parts out there.
The other good thing is they aren't targeted by thieves like Hondas are.

One day I was searching Craigslist for RX330s for a coworker and came upon my ES300, it was in excellent condition, original owner and only had 46k miles, and it was the 00-01 year I was looking for. I just had to buy it.

Personally I like the 00-01 vs the 97-99, I am fortunate to have a "Platinum series" model so it comes with a lot of the optional parts like HIDs, Sunroof, Woodgrain Steering wheel, 16" wheels, and textured leather.

BTW, the 97-98 Models were non VVTI and used the more reliable U541E transmissions. These have single butterfly Throttlebody

99-01(99 being pre face lift) was VVTI and U140E which is more prone to failure if the trans fluid isn't changed regularly. These have the dual butterflies.
At some point I just want to have a 97 coach edition LS (i have the 99 coach edition ES) and have either a late 90s GS or an RX since i live in the NorthEast.
Old 02-08-16, 02:47 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by offremike
My tires are 15s and I'm wondering if it's better or worse for the car in my current state (MA) if I get 16s/17s. I don't mind keeping my 15s, but whatever makes for better driving in general or during winter is cool with me.
Keep your 15's for winter and put some good winter tires on them (I put Mich Xice on mine).
I got some nice 17's with quiet tires for summer (Bridgestone Turanza, but they don't make the one I have anymore). TireRack wouldn't guarantee they would fit, but I've had no problem with them.
Don't use 17's for winter, as the short tire sidewall is no protection from potholes (I bent one badly, but was able to get it repaired).

Last edited by kj07xk; 02-08-16 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-08-16, 05:16 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Keep your 15's for winter and put some good winter tires on them (I put Mich Xice on mine).
I got some nice 17's with quiet tires for summer (Bridgestone Turenza, but they don't make the one I have anymore). TireRack wouldn't guarantee they would fit, but I've had no problem with them.
Don't use 17's for winter, as the short tire sidewall is no protection from potholes (I bent one badly, but was able to get it repaired).
Honestly, for 17", if you have a set of snow tires, get a nice set of summer tires to use for the other 3 seasons. Having a set of all seasons in addition to snows is defeating the purpose. It's better use for your money. All season tires: Jack of all trades, master of none.
Old 02-08-16, 09:59 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bdub215
Honestly, for 17", if you have a set of snow tires, get a nice set of summer tires to use for the other 3 seasons. Having a set of all seasons in addition to snows is defeating the purpose. It's better use for your money. All season tires: Jack of all trades, master of none.
At the time I bought the Turanza's, they were one of the quietest rated tires on TireRack, which was my highest criteria for a set of tires at that time (I think they are back in production again, but I don't know if it is the same, better, or worse than what I bought).
The fact that I bent a wheel with them, forced me to rethink the all season tire strategy, and put winter tires on the OEM wheels.
One of the best decisions I ever made. For northerners that have never tried a true winter tire, you don't know what you are missing. They make a huge difference in snow, slush, and ice.
Old 02-09-16, 07:53 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kj07xk
At the time I bought the Turanza's, they were one of the quietest rated tires on TireRack, which was my highest criteria for a set of tires at that time (I think they are back in production again, but I don't know if it is the same, better, or worse than what I bought).
The fact that I bent a wheel with them, forced me to rethink the all season tire strategy, and put winter tires on the OEM wheels.
One of the best decisions I ever made. For northerners that have never tried a true winter tire, you don't know what you are missing. They make a huge difference in snow, slush, and ice.
Quiet tires don't mean much when your car is loud (me lol)

Case in point: My Firestone Winterforces. One of the best rated snow tires on tire rack. It's noisy as **** and would drive most up a wall. These tires have saved my *** so many times for years on my ES300. This winter these same tires are on my RWD SC300 and it's a blast in the snow. Go figure.
Old 02-09-16, 10:27 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bdub215
Quiet tires don't mean much when your car is loud (me lol)

Case in point: My Firestone Winterforces. One of the best rated snow tires on tire rack. It's noisy as **** and would drive most up a wall. These tires have saved my *** so many times for years on my ES300. This winter these same tires are on my RWD SC300 and it's a blast in the snow. Go figure.
Agreed. If your snow tires are too quiet, they're not up to the task of cutting through the snow and gripping ice.
The Mich Xice are not quiet tires, but not objectionally loud either. Plenty of grip, and I've put them on three cars so far, and have been extremely happy with the results. Blizzaks are another great choice (from what I've heard from those that have used them).
Old 02-10-16, 11:26 AM
offremike
Driver School Candidate

Unsure if there was a clear suggestion on changing the suspension?

Quick Reply: Modding 1999 Lexus ES300