ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What should I do for struts and mounts for my Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 01:27 PM
FitDesiGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do for struts and mounts for my Lexus?

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2000 Lexus Es300 with 117k on the odometer. I've been noticing that there is a clunking noise coming from the front whenever the road is uneven or going over a bump. I checked my sway bar links and there is absolutely no play in them, and when I pushed the car up and down with the hood up, I determined that the cause of this was bad strut was due to the strut mounts. Since the car has 117k miles on it and the front struts are original, I'm thinking that I should probably replace them as well as the mounts. I've done some research on ClubLexus and have heard that is a common issue with these models. And also I've heard to go OEM on the strut mounts as anything else is cheaply made. So, I have purchased and received OEM strut mounts for my car, but am also considering getting OEM struts for it as well.

I am looking at this link here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-01-ES300-...NSM1TC&vxp=mtr

First off, I'm wondering if you guys think this is a good deal for the part per side, secondly, since I'm a college student, I'm wondering if I can just get by with replacing the mounts and not the strut, and third, do I need to purchase the spring or coil assembly with it or will the strut itself be fine in the old spring?

Thank you!
Old 01-04-16, 02:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

You can re-use the struts if you want but keep in mind if sometime down the road you decide to replace them you'll have the do the same job all over again. The upper mounts get those from Toyota for sure, the coils there is no need to replace unless they are badly rusted or broken.

You might need some rubber components as well.
Old 01-04-16, 03:39 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

That is a very good price on the OE strut IF you can get both for that price. If so, you'd be at $280 for the front struts alone delivered.

The identical units from KYB (they are the OEM) are valved slightly stiffer but otherwise identical, and about $160 per pair delivered (when I did so 18 months ago, may be different now). From my experience it would not be worth the extra $120 for the only slightly softer OE unit - but that's my opinion. Examine your boots and make sure they do not need to be replaced; they are critical to protect the strut seal from debris and early failure. They are cheap but important.

If you use two pair of compressors, it is less problematic when compressing the springs. It also helps greatly to have access to a power tool with a 1/2" drive to save time and effort compressing and releasing. Yes, you can reuse them of course. I have never needed to replace insulators, etc. but if you have worn out a mount already, your car may have seen much rougher use/roads than ours and you'll need to check.

You will need to align the car very, very soon after the job to prevent possibly ruining the tires.

Last edited by Oro; 01-04-16 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-05-16, 01:02 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

I never did an alignment after replacing struts and never had a problem with tire wear. If you are concerned check the camber before/after.
Old 01-05-16, 08:00 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Is it equally important to purchase the OEM bearing for the OEM mount? And an OEM Upper Seat?
Old 01-05-16, 08:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

I have not had to replace the bearings but if they are bad I'd go OEM if at all possible, the spring seat is not an item you normally have to replace.
Old 01-06-16, 06:22 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm I've gotta do the struts and alot of the rubber parts on my car too, so I will follow this post closely.. my other es300 (1995) I went with kyb everything and oem rubber and mounts, but it felt noticeably stiffer than stock.. but the springs may also have been sagging a bit.. still doesn't feel like oem IMO even after 20k miles on the shocks

this time on my 2001 coach edition, I was thinking of waiting until the monroe quick struts go on sale and just compress those springs, and use oem mounts.. but its still either good or bad so yeah..

I hear the moog quick struts are very bad, and oem is quite expensive, but seems to be the best
Old 01-06-16, 08:55 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

I went with kyb everything and oem rubber and mounts, but it felt noticeably stiffer than stock..
If by "stock" you mean what it felt like before - even OE units would feel dramatically stiffer since you were replacing very worn components. And leaving worn springs in is going to make it stiffer since you are pre-loading the shock cartridge and removing the progressive feature of the suspension action.

If found the KYB aftermarket ones (GR2/Excel) to be a bit stiff for about 2k miles, then they wore in nicely and it feels like new. It has 25k or so on it since then and feels great.

Moog makes affordable replacement coils for these that work well. I have a pair in the rear of a 2002 and am very pleased.
Old 01-06-16, 09:16 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are near a Firestone, get their lifetime alignment for about $200. Then anytime you change some suspension part, you can get it realigned for free.
Old 01-06-16, 04:54 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oro
If by "stock" you mean what it felt like before - even OE units would feel dramatically stiffer since you were replacing very worn components. And leaving worn springs in is going to make it stiffer since you are pre-loading the shock cartridge and removing the progressive feature of the suspension action.

If found the KYB aftermarket ones (GR2/Excel) to be a bit stiff for about 2k miles, then they wore in nicely and it feels like new. It has 25k or so on it since then and feels great.

Moog makes affordable replacement coils for these that work well. I have a pair in the rear of a 2002 and am very pleased.

hmmm thanks for your insight, yeah i've heard the moog replacement springs are fine, but the quick struts are just renamed from a cheaper unit they purchased or something

hmmm I'm not sure if its what it felt like before, but yes it did soften up a little bit, and thats why i figured i'd change the springs too this time.. thats why I was opting for quick struts, but figured the oem strut mount was just much better.. still gotta do more research I guess, since I can't afford OEM everything :/
Old 01-06-16, 05:38 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

I am watching this thread closely too - strut mounts starting to make noise, car has original struts with 145k miles on them. They are still dry. The rubber boots and rubber insulator are shot too.