ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Car cover suggestions. (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-03, 09:04 AM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cover suggestions. (Merged threads)

Hey,

do you think it's better to get the original car cover from Lexus or should I buy
an aftermarket car cover?

Are the aftermarket ones supposed to be better? They also mentioned that it is
'custom-fitted' to the Lexus ES.
I live in snow areas during winter, so I would like a cover that can handle the snow/ice
too. So, will the aftermarket ones be better?

So, do you guys have any suggestion on what I should get?
Old 04-15-03, 08:11 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest you get a garage, they are so much easier and more practical.

Car covers of the cloth variety are softer but will actually hold water and moisture against the paint.
Car covers of the poly plastics repel water very well but tend to scratch the paint very easily.

When you go to leave or drive, what do you do with the heap of wet car cover?
I really think car covers are too much bother if the car is a daily driver. If this is to cover a garaged weekend toy (SC430 per say) then by all means get the Lexus designed one (if your gonna do it, do it up right).

Be careful in the snow and ice with the soft covers, sometimes the cover creates a warmer surface so the snow and ice closest to the surface of the car melt a little, soak the cover, then freeze as more piles on top. When you go to remove it, you now have a car cover literally frozen to your car. (that tidbit comes from experience with my first car).

steviej
Old 04-16-03, 03:54 PM
Bluesman
Driver

I think it all depends on your situation. I recently purchased an aftermarket car cover. I rarely\don't drive my car from Sunday night through Thursday night because I take the train to work. Hence, I like the fact that it is covered for days and not exposed to the elements. However, I agree that it would probably be a pain in the **** for the daily driver to deal with it. Also, make sure you have a practical place to store the cover to dry when it's wet and you have to take it off the car. I have yet to experience using the cover during winter. Hence, I cannot comment on it's effectiveness during the cold season.
Old 08-07-06, 05:07 PM
rfong
Driver School Candidate

Default Car Cover

Can anyone recommend a good car cover for a 97 ES300 ? I had bought one from Costco and it was working well until I decided to wash it. It was OK in the wash but when I stuck it in the dryer parts of it had melted. I'm in the bay area in California, so I don't have to consider snow and ice protection.
Old 08-07-06, 07:41 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the NOAH ... www.calcarcover.com
Old 07-24-20, 04:43 AM
FromFL
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Car cover suggestions.

I have an '04 ES and looking for a car cover because it sits in the sun all day and the car is a back-up, so used not much at all. Garage space is unfortunately claimed by a couple of other cars. Does anyone have any experience with car covers for these cars?
Old 07-24-20, 09:06 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 748 Likes on 626 Posts

Hello,

Car covers are certainly much better than just leaving the car exposed, they will protect against UV light and very occasional rains. With that, they are not the best alternatives, since car covers are not designed for a long-term use, they will not protect against hail or big damage, etc. What you can also look into are portable car shelters - while a bit more expensive, they provide a bit more protection.

In short, it all depends on your climate and preferences. If you like your car, and you don't have a space in the garage, any protection will be a better than nothing.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
wmj259 (07-24-20)
Old 07-26-20, 06:28 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I bought mine from CarCovers dot com. I chose the Platinum Shield model and added the Gust Strap Wind Protector (basically a bungie cord). It was just over $200 and the description said it’s guaranteed for life and meant for outdoor use. It was the most affordable outdoor cover I could find.

I’ve yet to open it up and try it :/
Old 09-07-20, 04:54 PM
FromFL
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Incase anyone is remotely interested in this, I bought a universal one from Walmart for $25 (size 3). It fits like a glove. Has a 3 year warranty. All I wanted it for was as a sun shield, no other expectations.

Old 02-17-21, 09:48 AM
Cgilbane
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Hayk
I bought mine from CarCovers dot com. I chose the Platinum Shield model and added the Gust Strap Wind Protector (basically a bungie cord). It was just over $200 and the description said it’s guaranteed for life and meant for outdoor use. It was the most affordable outdoor cover I could find.

I’ve yet to open it up and try it :/
I know its an old thread, but how did you like the platinum shield model from CarCovers.com

I am thinking about getting one for my LS 460. I’m wondering how it does with scratching the paint at all if it gets windy? Also, how breathable is it? I am worried about condensation. I live in South Florida, very hot and humid.
Old 02-17-21, 10:32 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

For your situation I don't think there is a cover that will do what you want. The combination of wind, hot/sun and heavy rain means you'll probably be removing the cover often to clean the cover and the car.
Old 02-18-21, 07:05 AM
Cgilbane
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
For your situation I don't think there is a cover that will do what you want. The combination of wind, hot/sun and heavy rain means you'll probably be removing the cover often to clean the cover and the car.
I figured as much. I think I won’t do the cover. Going to get ceramic coating and just wash the car lots.
Old 02-19-21, 11:09 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Consider those folding sun screens, that will cut down massively on UV damage to the interior. Don't most 460's have side shades and a rear shade? Couple that with those and it will help a lot.

I agree a cover in Fla is problematic - used to live there and where I got in the habit of sun shades over the dash. The new ceramic coatings are indeed good, put them over the headlights, too. I have been impressed with Turtle Wax ceramic.
Old 02-19-21, 12:35 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Cgilbane
I know its an old thread, but how did you like the platinum shield model from CarCovers.com

I am thinking about getting one for my LS 460. I’m wondering how it does with scratching the paint at all if it gets windy? Also, how breathable is it? I am worried about condensation. I live in South Florida, very hot and humid.
I used it for a few weeks in the winter. It has a nice soft interior and a tarp-like rugged exterior shell. I used it on a 2008 BMW 3 series Coupe and it still had about a foot of extra length but the stretchy elastic with the additional bungee cords at front and back kept it snug against the body. Installation is simple and the extra security cable is a braided steel cable that goes in the middle of the cover under the car. I took it off at one point and the cover stayed on, but for extra windy days I would put it back on for peace of mind. Overall I'm very satisfied with it.

Couple of issues to get used to: it does trap some moisture under the cover, so I think you should periodically remove it to dry out. Also, you have to make sure the car is clean and dry before you install it, which can be a hassle. And lastly, putting it away is a bit annoying - you would need to wash it and dry it and then neatly fold it when it's ready to go away.
Old 09-23-23, 06:48 PM
How2
10th Gear

Default User car cover recommendation - experienced wrenches

Hello

I have a cherry 04 that needs to go outside for some time.

Some time ago I bough an expensive waterproof , UV Covercraft cover for my small car.

It went to hell in a couple of years, Covercraft said , "oh well"

Am looking for user recommendations that worked good in heat and rain conditions. The car is in the sunbelt, so the sun beats things up.

What are you using?

H2

Quick Reply: Car cover suggestions. (Merged threads)