ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just bought 97 ES300, Adaptive Variable Suspension help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 11:18 AM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just bought 97 ES300, Adaptive Variable Suspension help!

Hey guys! I just bought a 97 ES300 that has the AVS suspension option. Unfortunately, the shocks are definitely worn out, as my rear end makes a lot of creaking/thumping. I did some research before posting my question so here's the part I need help on...

1. Many people say that replacing the shock mounts fixes the noisy creaks and thumps on the rears. Does anyone have a part number to the shock mounts? Or a link would be fantastic. Is it alright to go aftermarket, or should I buy OEM? Is this hard to do it yourself? How long would this generally take?

2. AVS Suspension... I've tried looking for shocks, but all of the shock options that I come across online are for NON AVS suspension...

I don't really care if this option works anymore, so I don't mind buying regular shocks to replace my current ones, but from my research this will light up my dashboard with Traction and ABS lights.

Has anyone successfully changed out their AVS shocks to regular shocks and gotten no errors or is there a way to work around this? Also what shocks do you guys recommend. I'm looking for value as my #1 priority.

Thank you guys!
The following users liked this post:
kwmuppet (10-13-19)
Old 12-14-15, 07:20 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the rare AVS option ;-)

1.) Don't assume that the noises are the shocks. It could be strut mounts or any of the arms back there making noise. Best thing to do is have a real mechanic diagnose it. If the AVS struts are still good keep them! Best bet in many cases, and certainly with the strut mounts, is to buy the OEM stuff if you can. Aftermarket is a bit of a crap shoot. Replacing a strut mount is a bit of work you need to remove and disassemble the strut with a spring compressor, I would do that myself easily but you may or may not be comfortable doing that job.

2.)You can only buy the AVS struts from Lexus, there are no aftermarket options. If you like the AVS system, and you had say a bad strut, I would recommend just replace the one and get on with your life. But they are not cheap. So any mechanic who doesn't know his blinker fluid from his muffler bearings will tell you they are all shot, and to replace them all will cost you $1200 in just parts for the OEM AVS struts. So most people won't do that, but if you found a good mechanic who can find the actual problem, you could have more options.

3.) You can put regular struts in, and just leave the AVS plugs hanging. You won't have any traction control or ABS lights, no dash lights, no problems at all.
Old 12-14-15, 09:00 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Thanks power6! Do you happen to know if the strut mount is the same for AVS and non AVS equipped cars?
Old 12-14-15, 09:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I see only the one upper mount part number(s) so yes same for TEMS or not. Shame the struts themselves are so expensive.
Old 12-15-15, 03:55 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

My grandma's 97 has the AVS function (no longer works since the struts are shot) but definitely a nice feature. She doesn't drive it enough to even get them replaced with standard struts. Just imagine how much the newer Lexus' adaptive suspensions cost to replace.
Old 12-15-15, 06:14 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

My take on adaptive suspension in general is that it's a nice engineering flourish, and fun on a new car. But once the car hits 10 years old/100k miles, and there's no aftermarket support, it just makes sense to take it out, replace it with the (quite good) stock suspension, and jumper the sensors so it doesn't flash warnings at you. That's what lots of enthusiasts do with their Range Rovers, LX 470s, LS models so equipped, etc.

The aftermarket KYB shocks and aftermarket springs for these are cheap and good. So that's an option if the price on replacement adaptive pieces make you blanche.
Old 12-16-15, 05:26 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Oro
My take on adaptive suspension in general is that it's a nice engineering flourish, and fun on a new car. But once the car hits 10 years old/100k miles, and there's no aftermarket support, it just makes sense to take it out, replace it with the (quite good) stock suspension, and jumper the sensors so it doesn't flash warnings at you. That's what lots of enthusiasts do with their Range Rovers, LX 470s, LS models so equipped, etc.

The aftermarket KYB shocks and aftermarket springs for these are cheap and good. So that's an option if the price on replacement adaptive pieces make you blanche.
Are there any more details on "Jumping the sensors"? That's my main concern, having my entire dash board lit up because it's missing adaptive suspension.

Do you have a link to the aftermarket KYB shocks and springs for our car?

Thanks everyone for your input
Old 12-19-15, 12:39 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You don't have to jumper any sensors in this generation of ES, you can remove the AVS struts and there will be no lights or any other ill effects. Oro was speaking in general, I am telling you specifically about this car, you have no worries to replace with normal struts.

I'm the wierdo who swapped the AVS system in, but I do agree as above, they are so expensive that for most, by the time they blow and the car is over 100k, you just replace them with conventional struts. I'm just a suspension geek, and there does not exist in the land a proper strut for this car that gives both a nice ride and good handling. Well there is one...the AVS struts. To me the expense up front for 2-3 or more years of driving joy depending on how long I keep this car, is totally worth it. The car is sooo much more enjoyable to drive with AVS. But most of the Internets just cares about price. So we talk a lot about Quick Struts and other cheap parts here.

McMuffin - just to warn you, you might want to get the normal (non-AVS) OEM struts, they are the only ones that preserve the ride quality you are used to. If you go aftermarket the struts are stiffer. You can go with those if you want a sportier drive.

And do not, under any circumstances, replace the springs. Firstly there is no need to in most cases as springs don't wear out, they merely sag a little. Also the replacement springs will not be specific ES300 spring rates they will be a generic part that fits Avalon/Camry/Solara/ES. They will be low quality junk that will rust immediately while your perfectly good discarded stock springs sit in a trash dump for the next decade protected by thick black OEM powdercoating.
Old 12-19-15, 11:36 AM
McMuffin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Power6
You don't have to jumper any sensors in this generation of ES, you can remove the AVS struts and there will be no lights or any other ill effects. Oro was speaking in general, I am telling you specifically about this car, you have no worries to replace with normal struts.

I'm the wierdo who swapped the AVS system in, but I do agree as above, they are so expensive that for most, by the time they blow and the car is over 100k, you just replace them with conventional struts. I'm just a suspension geek, and there does not exist in the land a proper strut for this car that gives both a nice ride and good handling. Well there is one...the AVS struts. To me the expense up front for 2-3 or more years of driving joy depending on how long I keep this car, is totally worth it. The car is sooo much more enjoyable to drive with AVS. But most of the Internets just cares about price. So we talk a lot about Quick Struts and other cheap parts here.

McMuffin - just to warn you, you might want to get the normal (non-AVS) OEM struts, they are the only ones that preserve the ride quality you are used to. If you go aftermarket the struts are stiffer. You can go with those if you want a sportier drive.

And do not, under any circumstances, replace the springs. Firstly there is no need to in most cases as springs don't wear out, they merely sag a little. Also the replacement springs will not be specific ES300 spring rates they will be a generic part that fits Avalon/Camry/Solara/ES. They will be low quality junk that will rust immediately while your perfectly good discarded stock springs sit in a trash dump for the next decade protected by thick black OEM powdercoating.
Thank you so much for the valuable info! I really appreciate it.

Is my best bet for OEM Lexus struts to go to the dealership or is there a good online vendor?
Old 12-19-15, 01:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Would obviously depend on shipping charges, here are the Lexus part numbers:

Front
LH 48520-39186 replaced by 48520-39605
RH 48510-39506 replaced by 48510-80137

Rear
LH 48540-39266 replaced by 48540-39565
RH 48530-39386 replaced by 48530-80142

Note that all of the above can be purchased from Toyota so you can save a bit of money generally Lexus dealers charge a bit more for the same part.

BTW the closest match as far as ride quality goes is the Monroe OESpectrum on Rockauto the prices are about $95/side for the fronts $75 for the rear struts. The savings are not worth it IMO. The link I posted is just an example check several online vendors and your local Toyota dealer.