ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Interior Control Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-15, 10:15 AM
CF01
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Interior Control Lights

I have a number of lights out on the interior of my 2003 ES. Just got the car, so I have no idea how long they have been out. There is no light on the shifter panel. Also there are a number of lights out on the climate control panel. Seemed kind of odd, so I thought I would ask if this was just an issue of bulbs having gone out or if something else was going on. The only other electrical issues the car seems to have are the driver's door lock actuator and the rear shade only work intermittently, so I am guessing those are motor issues.

Here is a photo of the climate controls at night.

Old 12-09-15, 10:13 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Most likely just the bulbs out, it happened on my 2001 ES too. Only a few of the climate control bulbs were out on mine too.
Old 12-09-15, 11:59 AM
CF01
Rookie

Thanks. After looking around some more, it seems it's pretty common to have lots of bulbs going out on the climate controls. I possibly have a different issue though with the climate controls. Seems that the Auto setting will only work with foot blower. After turning on Auto, it always changes to the foot blower and if I try to change it to a different blower configuration, it turns the Auto setting off. Maybe I'll find something in the manual on this. Seems like a strange way for it to function and I don't remember my previous cars(Avalons) working this way.
Old 12-09-15, 05:44 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by CF01
Thanks. After looking around some more, it seems it's pretty common to have lots of bulbs going out on the climate controls. I possibly have a different issue though with the climate controls. Seems that the Auto setting will only work with foot blower. After turning on Auto, it always changes to the foot blower and if I try to change it to a different blower configuration, it turns the Auto setting off. Maybe I'll find something in the manual on this. Seems like a strange way for it to function and I don't remember my previous cars(Avalons) working this way.
Hi, We can help you out with replacing those bulbs if you want to send in your cluster to us. We can redo all of your illumination. DM us for more information or if you have any other questions!

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/

Thanks,
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 12-10-15, 06:54 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the temperature turned up high, it AUTOMATICALLY adjusts the blower output to feet. Try turning the temp down to see if it comes out the dash vents. Any time you change anything - blower speed, blower output - it goes off AUTO - BUT - the temperature control is still in AUTO, so it maintains the temp you select.
Old 12-10-15, 08:43 AM
CF01
Rookie

Sounds like it is probably just bulbs then, Thanks!

After looking through older threads, it looks like I'll have to buy Lexus bulbs for this at around $7 or $8 each? Any cheaper alternatives that won't give problems?
Old 12-10-15, 09:47 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Geez - that's cheap. On my old Infiniti I-30, I had to purchase a map light - $18!!!
Old 12-10-15, 02:24 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Sounds like it is probably just bulbs then, Thanks!

After looking through older threads, it looks like I'll have to buy Lexus bulbs for this at around $7 or $8 each? Any cheaper alternatives that won't give problems?
Yes, we have these bulbs for $1.99 each. You would have to measure the width of the bulb before we could tell you which one you would need and we can't guess on the size.

let us know if you have other questions.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 03-18-17, 08:18 PM
mobes61
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum and a new Lexus owner, well used Lexus. It's a 2005 ES with 130k. It's in pretty good shape inside and out and runs great. I've been trying to find info on replacing the bulbs for the climate control panel. The dealer quoted $1400 saying they would replace the entire panel. I didn't ask any questions about why they couldn't replace the bad bulbs. Is there a difference between the ES300 and the ES330 models as far as these units and ability to replace the bulbs?

Any help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has or knows of tutorials on accessing the panel/bulbs that would be great. From what I've been able to find it doesn't seem it would be too difficult to do.

Thanks,