ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Low miles, Strut mount clunk?

Old 03-17-17, 10:20 AM
beamerrx7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low miles, Strut mount clunk?

Background: So I have a 2000 Platinum with 85k miles on it. I bought it used from a dealer that said it had one owner and I confirmed that with the dealership records on the car. It was in mostly great shape. I have fixed most of the issues with the car and am moving on to a noise from the front suspension and a sagging in the front.

Now to the details. The front end makes a clunking noise going over any bumps. It is not loud at all, just feels like something is loose. It rides mostly great minus a little softness over bumps at highway speed. I think it floats a bit too much and rolls a bit too much when taking a curve on the highway. Lastly, I feel that the front end sags a little bit. With two people in front the I bottom out on this one speed bump that is a tiny bit larger than the others. It do not bottom out with one person in the car.

Now to my planned fixes. I will be replacing the front struts with KYB GR2 and also replacing the front springs for sure.

Question: What springs should I get for the front to tighten up the travel and maybe reduce the sagging? How can I be sure the clunk is from the front strut mounts and not from links? Why do people recommend the oem strut mounts over any other mount?
Old 03-18-17, 12:22 AM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by beamerrx7
Background: So I have a 2000 Platinum with 85k miles on it. I bought it used from a dealer that said it had one owner and I confirmed that with the dealership records on the car. It was in mostly great shape. I have fixed most of the issues with the car and am moving on to a noise from the front suspension and a sagging in the front.

Now to the details. The front end makes a clunking noise going over any bumps. It is not loud at all, just feels like something is loose. It rides mostly great minus a little softness over bumps at highway speed. I think it floats a bit too much and rolls a bit too much when taking a curve on the highway. Lastly, I feel that the front end sags a little bit. With two people in front the I bottom out on this one speed bump that is a tiny bit larger than the others. It do not bottom out with one person in the car.

Now to my planned fixes. I will be replacing the front struts with KYB GR2 and also replacing the front springs for sure.

Question: What springs should I get for the front to tighten up the travel and maybe reduce the sagging? How can I be sure the clunk is from the front strut mounts and not from links? Why do people recommend the oem strut mounts over any other mount?
IIRC the OEM mounts are beefier. I've used a variety of aftermarket struts on Camrys and ES's, and the best I've used are Moogs and the worst are Monroes. I haven't had the strut mount problem yet myself.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...-rattling.html

...that thread may be helpful to you, there are tons like it on TN.

You can take the sway bar endlinks off and check for play, or if they flop around too much. If I see a broken boot, I replace them. Just replaced them on my uncle's '95 Camry 5S-FE, and it's quiet and smooth now (also corners better). What I took off had about a millimeter of play in the ball joints.
Old 03-18-17, 04:28 PM
groomerz
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This worked for many and my es300 with 140k

I have battled with rattle and this worked I first sprayed penetrating oil the followed up with white lithium grease in spray can with spray tube
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/35502-how-i-fixed-the-famous-rattling-sound-from-the-front/

Last edited by groomerz; 03-18-17 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Add