ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

It was raining this morning, I had a flat. Discovered the Lex didn't have a jack

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-15, 02:36 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It was raining this morning, I had a flat. Discovered the Lex didn't have a jack

Was already running late. I was only a couple of miles from the house so I hobbled back. Tore the tire up in the process.

Looks like the Lex comes with a scissors jack. I hate scissors jacks. Is there a better alternative that still fita in the trunk?
Old 11-03-15, 02:41 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So does have a scissor jack or it doesnt? A scissor jack is more then enough to change a flat
Old 11-03-15, 03:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,701 Likes on 2,287 Posts

The scissor jack in these cars is really good have no idea what you're on about but if you don't like it then carry around a big heavy hydraulic jack.
Old 11-03-15, 03:31 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll take the question elsewhere. Sorry I got your panties in a wad.
Old 11-03-15, 03:37 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I didn't realize there was a question. All I see is you complaining about not having a jack. Then complaining about the jack you had.
Old 11-03-15, 06:26 PM
mooseboy84
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont like the scissor jack then purchase an aluminum jack. They are pretty light and small but relatively expensive.
You can also purchase a little bottle jack and keep it in the trunk, but if they overturn the oil may leak out.
Old 11-03-15, 08:09 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seconded on the aluminum jack. They don't take up too much space and are light enough to get in and out of the trunk fairly easily. You could also check out a junkyard to replace the oem unit. Crappy way to find out you have no jack, sorry for the inconvenience, lesson learned though, always be sure you have a jack.
Old 11-04-15, 04:20 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Almost most cars come with scissor jacks. I see the jack and the spare tire once a year when I check the spare tire pressure.

Don't you check to make sure you have everything in the trunk?
Old 11-04-15, 05:01 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Ouch that sucks, I'll make sure I check mine also.. but like Jetson says, get an aluminum one, or an OEM one, or even an OEM one out of another car, as long as it works..

reminds me of my friend's new bmw 428i with runflats, no jack, no spare.. Kind of dumb if you ask me
Old 11-04-15, 08:10 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Bmw is the worst. Oh, the car comes with run flats so no need for a spare and tools, wtf?
Old 11-04-15, 01:16 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

lol right? I like how they used to give you a little toolbox, no more though
Old 11-04-15, 06:38 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

It's really pathetic. But I suppose they don't want us working on our own cars. The no spare thing is total b.s. and a safety hazard the way I look at it.
Old 11-06-15, 07:13 AM
Zacharias
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought the little toolkits were sort of quaint. Even when I needed to use one, I generally forgot they were there. In any case I am OCD in the extreme for carrying tools and spare parts in the trunk. This summer I weeded out my "emergency" trunk toolbox when I tried to lift it and it had got to the 35 lb range LOL.

The manufacturers don't even want indy shops working under the hood of their cars now, let alone shadetree mechanics. If they have their way, indy shops will be relegated to fluids, basic electrical, brakes and exhaust. And on some high end cars, maybe not even some fluids....
Old 11-06-15, 07:58 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Better to be equipped than lacking in the case of an emergency or failure. Like the old adage, "What's the best gun? The one you have on you."

And yes indeed they don't want anyone working on their cars, I am expecting to see "warranty void if seal is broken" stickers on engine covers soon.
Old 11-06-15, 08:41 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JetsonES
Bmw is the worst. Oh, the car comes with run flats so no need for a spare and tools, wtf?
You realize they come with runflats SPECIFICALLY so you don't need a spare and jack. Since many people do not know how to change a flat, having a flat risks damaging the wheels, adding a jack and spare adds extra weight, and it also puts you in a dangerous position, a runflat makes sense. It allows you to limp to a safer spot without tearing up your wheel or getting stuck in a precarious position. And since many times the failure of a tire does not completely destroy it, though that isn't to say that it won't occur, having a spare makes little sense with runflats. It's like complaining that cars don't come with four spare tires in case of a four-tire failure or as a double protection.

Quick Reply: It was raining this morning, I had a flat. Discovered the Lex didn't have a jack