ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

College car for daughter

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 03:22 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default College car for daughter

New member here.
I've been through the process of buying used cars for my kids for the past 7 years. This is my fourth kid to buy a car so this isn't something new to me.
I've been intrigued by the Lexus cars especially the ES models. Really looking for the 6 cylinder engines for better mpg's.
I have about $6000 to spend so the model years will probably be 2004 and older, depending upon the mileage.
Anything quirks to the Lexus cars that I should be particularly attuned?
I usually bring an OBDII reader, tool set, rags, and overalls when I go look at a used car. This is after I check the VIN# and talk to the owner on the phone. I always use cash and have the proper forms ready to sign so I can jump on a good deal. I never buy from a used car lot.
Old 11-02-15, 04:02 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mpgs really aren't all that great in these cars. Just look for one with solid service records, especially regarding transmission fluid changes. They are a fairly solid platform, someone will probably chime in with specifics
Old 11-02-15, 04:51 PM
mkeeney
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3rd gen ES300 from 1997-2001 is in the running for the most reliable vehicle in history. There were fewer electronic gadgets to break and there is a huge wealth of information on them here. We would still be driving our '97 if it hadn't been totaled last year at 282k miles. It still had all the original accessories - A/C, power steering, starter. I had only replaced the alternator once at about 220k.
Old 11-02-15, 04:54 PM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by JetsonES
The mpgs really aren't all that great in these cars. Just look for one with solid service records, especially regarding transmission fluid changes. They are a fairly solid platform, someone will probably chime in with specifics
The 1998-2003 ES 300 is rated for 18 city / 27 hwy mpg.

What are you experiencing?
Old 11-02-15, 06:45 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

On my 2001 I averaged 22 and once even got 30 mpg on a trip from Buffalo to NYC, both on regular gas. I have a 2004 ES330 now, which you may or may not be able to get depending on mileage with your budget, and average 23 mpg, on road trips around 27-28, also on regular. Aside from timing belts, some suspension stuff, and oil sludging (97-01), these cars are solid. What R ended up making me sell my 2001 was a power steering leak, not because it was unfixable, but I didn't need two cars and it was the excuse I was looking for to finally sell it. I never found out if it was a line or a pump, but I guess as mileage gets up there it's not an unheard of problem. With. 6000 though, you an either get an incredible nice 2001, or a higher mileage 2002-04/5, so it'll really come down to personal preference
Old 11-02-15, 07:19 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

I am in the low low twenties mpg wise and most of my driving is freeway. It's not as much a concern with current gas prices but I think it should do better. My modified Subaru Legacy GT got about the same mpgs but was much more powerful, part of this may be due to it having been a manual transmission car. I guess since I have driven mostly small cars before the Es300 I expect too much.
Old 11-03-15, 02:11 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
The 1998-2003 ES 300 is rated for 18 city / 27 hwy mpg.

What are you experiencing?
I get 26 hwy. on my '02 going 65-85 on regular.
Old 11-03-15, 11:40 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 436 Likes on 381 Posts

02-05 would be my pick, great mpgs. Ours does 30 with REAL gas (E0) and legal speeds, even fully loaded with a family. MPGs vary a lot on these with gas type, octane, and driving style.

Issues are fragile motor mounts which create clunks and buzziness as one or more fail. 02 and up engine and transmission are very reliable and long-lived. Suspension is easily serviced (easier than prior generation) and nothing quirky about it or high-priced.

Our 02 is going to hit 1/4 million miles next month. It runs on mobil 1 synthetic and requires no oil between 7.5k changes (uses - mostly leaks from valve covers -about 1/2 quart in that time). Recent new motor mounts make transmission as smooth as new. I have had to rebuild the suspension after 200k but is now quite pleasant. Window seal/gasket, some bulbs, belts and hoses, ps pump and alternator after 200k, nothing unreasonable. It just hums along and gives fair warning of needed maintenance/parts and has never stranded anyone anywhere or failed something non-wear.

I am about to change oil control valves, which is a little idiosyncratic but documented. They are now pretty cheap and they are easy to swap, just a high-mileage maintenance item on these VVT-i engines (and well worth it for the economy and power the system gives).

If you are a "car" guy - which it sounds you are, this is a great car. This is my other 1/2's driver and I want a car I do not worry she can get stranded with, presuming I go over it and do maintenance - same thing you think about in getting a college car. I got this used for that reason a few years ago and it has proved a great choice.

one niggly thing about these is bank 1 of the V is buried into the firewall, so changing a valve cover or even plugs on that side is a real hassle, but not above a DIY job. But they are reliable so you only need to do it once in 100k or more, just be sure to use double platinum plugs so you don't need to go back in again soon.
Old 11-04-15, 05:03 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Appreciate the information. After talking with my daughter we might lean more toward the Toyota Camry or Toyota Camry Solara.
Old 11-04-15, 05:05 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Appreciate the information. After talking with my daughter we might lean more toward the Toyota Camry or Toyota Camry Solara.
I'd try to get a 4 banger version for both, even just the solara coupe, since you are aiming for MPG and it's for your daughter so not much power needed, those 4 bangers aren't bad at all
Old 11-04-15, 08:09 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Inline 4 cylinders are also easier to service in my opinion. I am biased against transverse v engines.
Old 11-04-15, 01:17 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JetsonES
Inline 4 cylinders are also easier to service in my opinion. I am biased against transverse v engines.

Oh yeah, way easier, I did work on a transverse mounted v8 in a cadi, oh man... ended up removing the whole motor
Old 11-04-15, 06:41 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

My wife had an 86 Cadillac with the transverse v8, doing anything was a nightmare.
Old 11-04-15, 07:23 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 96 integra and my mom owned a 96 Camry 4 Banger, both of those cars were super easy to work on and tons of space in the engine compartment.

Changing spark plugs and valve cover gaskets were a breeze.

The extra space makes getting to bolts way easier.

OP get a 4banger 97-01 Camry, those are super common and you can usually find a decent condition one for 3k or under.
Old 11-05-15, 08:53 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Yeah, late 80s to mid 90's Hondas are a breeze to work on and they will not die no matter how abusive the owner. As long as it's manual transmission. I think the only thing I ever had go out on Hondas is the auto transmissions. Haven't driven one in a long time, don't know how their newer stuff is.

Quick Reply: College car for daughter