ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Oil filter design on 1mzfe had us like..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-15, 12:10 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil filter design on 1mzfe had us like..

Lol but in all seriousness, I know theres alot posts are up about how much of a PITA it is for the filter, 2es and 3es seems to have a few differences, has anyone solved this so its not so messy yet?
Old 11-01-15, 12:51 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by gabzor
Lol but in all seriousness, I know theres alot posts are up about how much of a PITA it is for the filter, 2es and 3es seems to have a few differences, has anyone solved this so its not so messy yet?
Somebody explained that they let their car sit overnight with the oil drain plug open to let everything drain out of the engine, before taking the filter off. That is the only way that I have heard of, that seems to be bulletproof.
Old 11-01-15, 01:21 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Somebody explained that they let their car sit overnight with the oil drain plug open to let everything drain out of the engine, before taking the filter off. That is the only way that I have heard of, that seems to be bulletproof.
Waiting just a few hours will eliminate most of drip. It also reduces chances of burning my arm on the exhaust manifold.
Old 11-01-15, 02:07 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

all the oil would still come out of the filter? the only way I thought of is opening the fill cap, and punching a hole in the filter and waiting lol
Old 11-01-15, 06:25 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by gabzor
all the oil would still come out of the filter? the only way I thought of is opening the fill cap, and punching a hole in the filter and waiting lol

I believe you need to tilt the car on its back wheels by using ramps and/or jack stands at the front. The filter and engine are connected, and according to that person, the anti drain valve in the filter will still let the oil pass through.
Old 11-01-15, 07:55 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

I plan on trying this next change. Come home on Friday pull the drain plug, get up Saturday, change the filter and refill. Seems like a good idea to me.
Old 11-01-15, 12:10 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Waiting just a few hours will eliminate most of drip. It also reduces chances of burning my arm on the exhaust manifold.
1. Aint nobody got time fo dat &
2. Be a man.

This design sucked on these cars.

I would remove, let it sit for 3-5mins. Reinstall new filter and brake clean the **** out of the residue all over the block/subframe.
Old 11-01-15, 02:23 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

lol I agree I ain't nobody got time fo that! At one point, I contacted my fabricator to design something, but meh.. I'm a real cheap *** sometimes and didn't feel like paying that much
Old 11-01-15, 03:50 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was me. Works great.

I also use the "punch a hole in the filter" method on my truck (22RE engine), I have a special tool I made just for doing this, it's a long skinny scrap piece of hardwood with a finish nail in the end (pointy side sticking out). But, you can't reach the filter on the 1MZ/3MZ to poke a hole in it, it's hiding under the exhaust manifold.
Old 11-01-15, 03:59 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah what is up with Toyota and ****ty oil filter locations. Like somebody else said, the 22-RE truck engine its on the side of the block and makes a mess. My 2JZ-GE inline six, its on the side of the block, makes a mess and leaks all over the ground cause I can't figure out exactly where to put the catch pan. The 2RZ-FE in the newer Tacoma pickups is the same way, oil filter on the side of the block, leaks all over the subframe when you remove it.
Old 11-01-15, 08:06 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

My only guess would be to place the filter by a source of heat to achieve operating temperature more quickly.
Old 11-02-15, 01:03 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
1. Aint nobody got time fo dat &
2. Be a man.

This design sucked on these cars.

I would remove, let it sit for 3-5mins. Reinstall new filter and brake clean the **** out of the residue all over the block/subframe.
You are so busy you can't let your car sit in one place for 3 hours? You must have something productive you could do while you wait, eg you could catch-up on reading your comic books (or at least looking at the pictures if you have trouble reading them by yourself).
Old 11-02-15, 08:00 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
You are so busy you can't let your car sit in one place for 3 hours? You must have something productive you could do while you wait, eg you could catch-up on reading your comic books (or at least looking at the pictures if you have trouble reading them by yourself).
I'll try it next time at my mech's place. "hey, I'm gonna tie up one of your bays for 3hrs, kthx".....

I don't do oil changes in the driveway. The odd time, I'll DIY them at a friends' shop, using proper equipment "free of charge", otherwise I'll pay the 10$ to get it done for me, if I have no time.
Old 11-02-15, 08:26 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

I tend to do my own, I just enjoy the process and getting under the car to have a peek at anything else that may be going on. Considering I have a garage the drain overnight process seems worth a shot to me I always have to find a way to waste time for the 10 or 15 minutes I usually let it drip out for so this will allow me to be more productive in the long run. To each his own however, I can understand that this procedure might not be feasible for some people.
Old 11-02-15, 04:26 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You just have to plan it out. I usually do it on a Friday or Saturday evening. Get home, drive the car up on ramps, slide the drain pan under, pull the plug. Wipe off your hands, turn off the lights and go inside for the night, eat dinner and "Netflix and chill". Next morning (after breakfast), remove the splash shield under the front and the engine cover. Take off oil filter, install new one. Then put plug in bottom of engine. Dump in the new oil.

The 22RE only makes a mess if you let it.

Wanna see a terrible oil filter location? Check out a Ferrari 308. Right on TOP of the engine, easy to reach, but impossible to remove without making a huge mess all over the top of the engine. A friend had one, I hated working on that damned car.

I've been driving for 40 years now, I don't recall ever paying to have my oil changed. I'm sure some day that will change.

Last edited by KLF; 11-02-15 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil filter design on 1mzfe had us like..