ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DIY for Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-15, 11:59 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY for Radiator?

My 2000 ES300 has been loosing coolant for some odd reason.
My reservoir was empty so I filled it and didn't think it was serious.
About 2 months later, I noticed the level went down again so I looked around and found this.

How much longer will this hold up or is this a grenade ready to go off?
I couldn't find a DIY, is this relatively easy to do?
Old 10-25-15, 12:27 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Radiator replacement is easy. You just have to unbolt the retainers, loosen the hoses and pull it out. I would probably replace the hoses while you are at it. If I were you I would just go ahead and do it because that thing could pop at any time leaving you stranded at best and needing a new engine at worst. While I have never done this on an ES it does not seem that it would be all that difficult.

Last edited by JetsonES; 10-25-15 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-25-15, 07:28 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JetsonES
Radiator replacement is easy. You just have to unbolt the retainers, loosen the hoses and pull it out. I would probably replace the hoses while you are at it. If I were you I would just go ahead and do it because that thing could pop at any time leaving you stranded at best and needing a new engine at worst. While I have never done this on an ES it does not seem that it would be all that difficult.
that's good to hear.
I just ordered a new radiator and will take on this project when it arrives.
Old 10-25-15, 07:34 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

As he said, radiators are not difficult jobs, and doing the upper and lower hoses are wise.

BUT- give some thought to why that is rotting out. Were incompatible coolants used? If you mix the various types, it can cause precipitate and corrosion. That should have come originally with Toyota ("Asian") red coolant, and mixing it with auto-parts store green years ago could lead to that. Be sure to flush out all the old coolant with a few cycles of water and draining the block, then put in the correct fluid and don't mix them.
Old 10-25-15, 07:41 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Oro
As he said, radiators are not difficult jobs, and doing the upper and lower hoses are wise.

BUT- give some thought to why that is rotting out. Were incompatible coolants used? If you mix the various types, it can cause precipitate and corrosion. That should have come originally with Toyota ("Asian") red coolant, and mixing it with auto-parts store green years ago could lead to that. Be sure to flush out all the old coolant with a few cycles of water and draining the block, then put in the correct fluid and don't mix them.
I understand your concern and agree with the recommendation to use Toyota Red.
The car had been serviced at Lexus all it life prior to coming into my posession and it has red fluid in it now and will continue to have red in it as long as I own it.
Old 10-26-15, 01:58 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Are you near the ocean, or...?

Well not the coolant causing it then.

If you want to save a bit of money or a trip to a distant dealer, you can get gallons of Red concentrate at Carquest, Napa, O'Reillys, etc. for 1/2 to 2/3rds dealer prices. Ask for Either Pentofrost A1 (at NAPA or O'Reillys) or at Carquest they have the actual Toyota branded fluid. Identical stuff about $26/gallon for concentrate at all of the above in my area. Zerex Asian is also the same but comes pre-mixed and I like to go 55/45 or so instead of just 50/50, so I get the concentrate.
Old 10-26-15, 06:09 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Oro
Are you near the ocean, or...?

Well not the coolant causing it then.

If you want to save a bit of money or a trip to a distant dealer, you can get gallons of Red concentrate at Carquest, Napa, O'Reillys, etc. for 1/2 to 2/3rds dealer prices. Ask for Either Pentofrost A1 (at NAPA or O'Reillys) or at Carquest they have the actual Toyota branded fluid. Identical stuff about $26/gallon for concentrate at all of the above in my area. Zerex Asian is also the same but comes pre-mixed and I like to go 55/45 or so instead of just 50/50, so I get the concentrate.
Yes I'm near the ocean.
Thanks for the tip on the Pentofrost A1. There is an OReilly really close to my house so I will buy a few gallons. As for the price it's only $3 cheaper than the Toyota stuff. Not a huge difference but it helps.
Old 10-26-15, 06:48 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Drain the block and do a full flush while your at it, just in case you coolant has sediments or contaminants inside.
Old 10-27-15, 10:51 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Drain the block and do a full flush while your at it, just in case you coolant has sediments or contaminants inside.
Done!

After 4 hours I'm finished changing the radiator, fluid, upper and lower hoses. It's pretty straight forward but I was concerned and took my time as I never did one of these before.

I did a test drive and looked for leaks which there was none.
One of the things that I had to reuse was the transmission hoses as the local auto stores did not carry them. I hope they will be ok.

One thing that I wonder about was the radiator fans. They never turned on.
Is this normal?

The temp gauge is at 1 tick below half way which I think is normal for my car.
Old 10-28-15, 08:50 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

They will only turn on when they need to. Were there any stumbling blocks in the process that anyone should be prepared for in the future?
Old 10-28-15, 09:25 AM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JetsonES
They will only turn on when they need to. Were there any stumbling blocks in the process that anyone should be prepared for in the future?
It's pretty simple, here are my advice on the job:

1. The most difficult thing to do is remove the hoses. They get stuck and almost fused with the connection. The trick that I did was to use a can of WD40 and spray in a little by prying the hose with a screw driver. This will loosen them up and make it easier to remove.

2. Remove the transmission hoses and the lower radiator hoses from the top of the car and not the bottom (it's a lot easier, trust me)

3. The temp sensor connection does not have to be removed until after the radiator has been pulled out of the car.

4. There may be small accessory box or fuse box on each side of the radiator. Unscrew or unhook them before removing the radiator.

That's about it.
Old 10-28-15, 09:35 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Awesome, thank you for your input. I'm sure it will come in handy for someone in the future.