ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Steering wheel vibration w/ braking - FIXED! Plus, Toyo tire notes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-03, 04:06 PM
Neuroguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Steering wheel vibration w/ braking - FIXED! Plus, Toyo tire notes

2002 ES 300, 6K miles - had the steering wheel vibration when lightly applying brakes that might have been mentioned here before. Called Hendrick Lexus here in Charlotte, NC and they immediately recognized the problem, said there was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about it, and had an appointment within two days. They gave me a nice dark red '02 ES 300 as a loaner for the day. Had my car back within 24 hours and all is fixed! They even topped off my washer fluid - which is very nice since it's pine tree pollen season here in Charlotte. Here are the details, in case anyone else is having the same problem:

TSB #BR2007 - Replace front rotors, pads, shims
Work hours: 0.7
Parts:
08887-80609 Disk brake caliper
04002-17133 Repair kit, pad and disc
Description: Warped rotors/needs update/performed brake update per TSB

The reason for this problem as the service guys says, is the material of the brake rotors was not matched well with the rest of the braking components on the car, causing overheating and warping.

Another great job by Hendrick Lexus - btw, owned by the same guy who owns the NASCAR team with Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Terry Labonte, and Joe Nemechek. I'm driving a perfect car again! This has been only the second problem I've had in a Toyota product in 11 years of ownership. Quite the different experience from the ten problems with my previously-owned-for-five-months car, a '02 Jaguar X-Type. And the local Lexus dealership here is worlds better than the Jag dealership.

The loaner car they gave me (12K miles) had the same problem with the brake vibration, only worse. They said they would fix it when they got the time. Also on the loaner were the Toyo Proxes tires - and they exhibited the very loud road noise that has also been mentioned here. The service dept. guy said that was also a known problem, and that the ES 300 will no longer be coming with the Toyo tires very soon. He also said that they take care of the problem if an owner complains, and that it should be taken care of as soon as it's noticed as it only gets worse. My car has the Toyo tires, but I do not have that problem. The service guy says that's because the loaner is probably driven harder than I drive my car.
Old 04-08-03, 10:21 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks for the info, and lots of it!!

and welcome aboard clublexus.
Old 04-11-03, 10:36 AM
sniper5
Rookie

Just had the same problem. Steering wheel shake and Toyos were extremely loud. The dealership mentioned the TSB on the brakes but the part is on back order now. As far as Toyos they tried to blame it on my tire (non)rotation, until they realized it they were the ones who rotated them at 5k and 11k miles. The tires were cupped. After a few compliants they gave me a set of Michelin Pilots XGT H4 as a replacement. I appreciate the gesture but if they know there is a problem already, while not just tell me right away and do the right thing. I've been able to get the things fixed through my delaership, but it always takes a lot of complaints. And, it alway turnes out to be the thing every other dealership is aware of.
Old 04-11-03, 02:47 PM
Neuroguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear your tire problem has been fixed, Sniper5. It would appear that this is a 'silent' recall in that the tires are only replaced if a customer complains of the problem. This issue has been discussed on the Edmonds.com Town Hall message board for the ES 300 - that's how I came to know of it. Fortunately, my car doesn't exhibit that problem so far. But I'm assured that my dealer knows about it and will take care of it if it comes up in the future. I was able to experience the Toyo Proxes J33 tire problem first hand on the loaner car they gave me when I had my vehicle in for the brake problem. The loaner had 12K miles, and my car has only 6100. I've also noted that the Toyo Proxes J33s are not mentioned on Toyo's web site. But, that could be because that model is only OEM?

Sorry to hear your brake problem remains unresolved, but it would appear that they are doing lots of that particular TSB work, hence the parts being on backorder. I've been driving with my new brakes for almost two weeks now and all is well.

I really appreciate my dealership here in Charlotte, NC - Hendrick Lexus - that keeps on top of these things and goes out of their way to make me a satisfied customer. I can see why they've earned the "Elite of Lexus" award for 2002. They are the Lexus of Lexus dealers. http://www.hendricklexus.com
They are first-rate, from my salesman, to the finance guy, to all the folks in the shop.
Old 04-12-03, 06:27 AM
sniper5
Rookie

Good thing you have a great dealership. I kinda expected all these problems being it's the first year of the new model with many changes. I think I'll wait next time fot the 3rd year of a particular model before buying it.
My Toyos starting cupping around 10k miles. As far as the model goes, you are right. I talked to Toyo and these are only made for our car. You couldn't even get it as a replacement form the dealer if you wanted a new set of tires.
Old 05-07-03, 07:24 PM
area1 es30
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

i have that problem now wit my 02 es 300 when i slow done it virbarates and the steering wheel shakes im goin to have it looked at soon.
Old 05-07-03, 08:59 PM
WILB3
Pole Position

I had the same problem with my '99 at about 45K miles(warped rotors). Plaza Lexus in St. Louis replaced them under warranty.
Old 05-07-03, 09:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by area1 es30
i have that problem now wit my 02 es 300 when i slow done it virbarates and the steering wheel shakes im goin to have it looked at soon.
If the vibration only happens when you're hitting the brakes, it's your brake rotors warping from excessive heat.
Old 05-20-03, 08:05 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Hi,

I seem to have the same problem with my 99 ES .
Although it doesn't happen all the time, but whenever I have been driving a long
time or have done a lot of 'spirited' driving, the vibration does occur.

Since my car has a high mileage of 80,000, the lexus people says my car is not
under warranty anymore.

Therefore, what should I do to correct the problem?

Should I buy new brake rotors and pads myself?
And if I do, do you think its worth it to buy branded slotted or drilled rotors?

Thanks

Tim
Old 05-29-03, 12:27 PM
sniper5
Rookie

If you can feel the vibration in the pedals and the steering wheel, it's probably your front rotors. if you can feel it on your butt, it's probably the rear ones. with that many miles, your dealership is right, it's just one of those wear and tear items.
if you have the money to spend, the rotors you suggested won't hurt anything. but you probably won't see much difference in braking distances to justify the cost.
Old 05-29-03, 01:10 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to have the front rotors replaced under warranty when my '94 ES had less than 10,000 miles.
One suggestion I have is to try to avoid bringing your car into a car wash immediately after you've driven the car awhile. Wait for awhile until your brakes cool off a bit, otherwise the cold water from the car wash can warp your rotors.

Alan