ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1999 ES300 (VVT model) OBDII BT Adapter Halp

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 06:58 PM
cmanns
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 ES300 (VVT model) OBDII BT Adapter Halp

Got one of the cheapy OBD2 adapters from amazon.

Plugs in, lights up green red then solid red it appears- pairs with phone properly...

Torque app- nothing- connects and says Proto:Automatic and no sensors/faults come up.

Amazon.com : ELM327 Latest Version V2.1 Bluetooth Super Mini ELM327 OBD2 II Scan Tool Car Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows (blue) : Car Electronics Amazon.com : ELM327 Latest Version V2.1 Bluetooth Super Mini ELM327 OBD2 II Scan Tool Car Auto Diagnostic Tool for Windows (blue) : Car Electronics

Does the 1999 ES300 use CAN? I was reading this wont work with my ES300 unless it was 2003 and newer BUT I already ordered it, clicked cancel and they sent it out anyways.

Sadly can't get another till I return this one, but theres an OBD II looking port in the drivers foot well thing covering "relays" (I read online ES300's OBD was near fuse's or something) I plugged it into the port below steering wheel next to toyota "DIAGNOSTIC" round port w/cap.

Hoping this was the right device plugged in wrong place, or can be told which device under 20 bucks to go with, thanks

Last edited by cmanns; 10-08-15 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 07:48 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the correct port. I don't think your car has a CAN bus. Here is a link to an adapter that should run torque on your car. I love that app, the free version is nice but the paid version is so much better, more info than I even need. You could also look into techstream which is 20 to 30 dollars, it is a cord based system, but it allows you to adjust factory settings. It's a pretty useful tool to have as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Interface-Scanner-Adapter-Android/dp/B005M1AVFQ http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Interface-Scanner-Adapter-Android/dp/B005M1AVFQ
Old 10-08-15, 07:55 PM
cmanns
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah sweet that ones even cheaper then the one I almost bought.

What about this http://www.caristaapp.com/hardware/

They mention they can do the Lexus specific stuff fpersonalized auto settings.

This car was serviced by lexus all it's life (Lots of records) just was seen 5mo~ ago and has CEL / Trac on- I've diagnosed it to either bad gas cap or purge device (Gas cap is hard as ever to open) and the alternator seems to be putting out below 12v often- so I figure being able to data log the voltage while driving will convince me to get a higher amp alternator.

I will probably go with the adapter you mentioned, huge bummer Amazon didn't process my "Cancel order" before it shipped. Torque looks like it will do _everything_ I need, which is mainly data logging voltage/few other random variables, and read codes. The current codes should self-reset once fixed by 30-60mile drive but if torque + that adapter can clear the codes- sweet!

Last edited by cmanns; 10-08-15 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 09:03 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Are there any customizations that tech stream or caristaapp can do for a 99 lexus? I feel 99 might be too old to do anything but now I'm really curious to try.
Old 10-08-15, 09:16 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

I tried carista on my 2003, no personalized settings available, seemed like most of the supported cars are newer. I guess it's techstream for that unless you find another app. Torque is great though, lots of plugins, the gauge options are awesome, it will let you view and clear codes, you can even set an alarm that tells you when your car is fully warmed up.

Last edited by JetsonES; 10-08-15 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 09:19 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Fortify your ground cabe and your voltage will get better. It's known around here as " the big three" I only did the battery with 0 gauge, it works much better now. I will do the other two in the future.

Last edited by JetsonES; 10-08-15 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-09-15, 06:23 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Get Toyota Techstream for diagnostics and customization.

However since the 3rd gen ES300 doesn't have a CAN bus, there aren't any features to customize. I've tried it on a 99 ES. The CAN bus started in 2002 and newer ES's.

Old 10-10-15, 11:07 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

You might also want to pull off your engine cover to see if there are any issues. My car was serviced by lexus all its life as well and I was shocked at some of the crap I found hidden under the cover. Broken ports siliconed into place, broken hoses, things sealed with electrical tape, etc. Electrical tape. Used to seal a vacuum line. In an engine compartment. Yeah, that'll last.

Anyway, there are a lot of hoses under there that could be contributing to your problem. It's worth the 5 minutes it will take to pull it off. I left mine off, I have a thing about engine covers unless they are functional. On the ES it really serves no purpose other than to hide things the general public would think look "ugly" or "complicated". It also allows engine designers to be lazy about the way their valve covers and manifolds are designed since no one will ever see them.