ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3mz p0333 help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 06:38 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crap, I was hoping to find "grandma's minivan" where the interior isn't trashed and maintenance hasn't been skipped. I will have to see if I can sway the wife towards the sienna, she is an odyssey fan for now. We currently have an srx and it isn't the most kid friendly thing in the world. I would love to sell her on a volvo wagon but she has an innate hate for wagons. This video seals the deal on why I want my child in a volvo wagon.

Old 09-30-15, 12:32 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

that is incredible! I knew they were safe but that thing was indestructible. Is there some kind of gimic?

aslo, just avoid the EXL and TOURING odyssey, plus buy as new as you can afford. If you can't sway her...
Old 09-30-15, 01:08 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

No gimmicks that I am aware of just damn good engineering, it was ripping other cars to shreds, amazing! Their youtube channel is full of things like this and I believe they beat on the volvo even more in other videos. It is truly mind blowing and I would feel really good having my son in the back of one of those.

Thanks for the advice on the vans, we will be shopping this coming spring. I tried to show her the volvo video but she blew me off. The want is strong for one of those, people drive crazy and pay no attention anymore so safety is a big concern for me.
Old 10-02-15, 05:04 AM
acarapella
Advanced

It's pretty amazing. The vans crash well too... Simply put, more mass is better; more space is better. That is, space between those car seats and the door. The reason I didn't gove her the es300 (aside from barely getting the stroller in the trunk) is because the car seat touched the door if we used the latch system. Barely cleared the center council if it was seat belted into the middle seat, and she wouldn't have been able to pull over and help the little guy if he fussed.

With the van, there is like a foot between his car seat and the door, which is all above the bumper height of most cars. It sits on a captains chair with a path from the front of the van to the captains chair next to his car seat, in which she can sit and do whatever he needs done - all after simply finding a parking lot and walking back there. Totally mint. We got 30mph on a trip once too. We are probly van people for life if the need to tow doesn't demand a (very) used taho or sequoia

Back to p0333..

Yesterday I warmed up the car in the back of my driveway (goes behind the house so it's 70 feet long) for at least 4 mins. 47°f outside then. When I threw it in drive, I only got to the end of my driveway and the engine, vsc, and trac lights came on as the new routine. I have to then shut the car off and turn it back on, or else I won't shift into the 5th gear (overdrive). I drove to my first appointment, then to my office, then to the park for lunch, then to Sears... When I left Sears, so the 5th start after 45 miles or so, the lights shut off. I am sure when I go to leave this morning it will all happen again.

Can we be sure that this is really a faulty sensor, and not an actual problem caused by sitting? Like, perhaps there is compnent within my drivetrain that freeze or fills with oil whilst sitting over night and then either jars or stumbles the motor, causing the sensor to detect what it thinks is a knock?

Do know my hanger bracket on the downpipe just before the cat rotted and I had to reweld a 3 inch section of pipe, so the exhaust has Ben removed and reinstalled. The gas tank heat deflector for the exhaust rests on the pipe because it rotted loose but I am weary to rip it off for fear of damaging my gas tank (or worse) with radiant heat

That's all I can think of. But before I order $300 in parts and spend at least 8 hours in the garage, I want to be sure this isn't a miscommunication on the cars part.

Post-lastly I'll add that I am growing tired of software sabotaging mechanicals! My 1950, with proper maintenance, does just fine without software. Albeit with 14 mpg and almost guaranteed death in a crash
Old 10-02-15, 11:54 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Anything is possible I suppose, but.i would think that the knock sensors are pretty well tuned to respond only to knock. I am really thinking it is a corrosion or continuity issue myself.

I like electronics in cars up to a point, they make the diagnostics much easier and the performance much cleaner. I'm not much for all the bells and whistles infotainment crap they put out nowadays, it's obsolete by the time you drive it off the lot.

I do take exception with the location of the knock sensors on this car, bad design unless it had to go there for accuracy purposes. You could try to reach what you can and clean any contacts you can find on the harness. Other than that I suppose there is no choice but to tear it apart which is crap.
Old 10-05-15, 08:57 PM
acarapella
Advanced

So Tuesday I put in a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner. I experienced the morning coming on of tnight Wednesday and Thursday. Both days it was off by noon. Thursday afternoon, I filled with premium instead of my normal 89 octane. It never came on Friday. I haven't driven it since. If it stays off, I'll try 89 again later and see if it comes on
Old 10-05-15, 09:43 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Maybe your car is telling you it wants premium. Your fuel system might be getting a little clogged and degraded. Maybe you are truly experiencing knock.
Old 10-06-15, 02:57 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Funny thing is, I think p0333 means an erroneous reading, not an actual knock. Either way, I'm starting to think it was water in the system or something. For
Now I'll just count it as a blessing
Old 10-06-15, 03:44 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Yeah, just run a few tanks of the good gas through and hope for the best I guess, at least gas is cheaper right now.
Old 10-06-15, 03:58 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Yea I will. Good chatting with you - I'll report back here in a while
Old 10-06-15, 08:38 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Yes, please do, I am interested in what happens. Sure beats all the time and money you would spend changing the sensors out, they really shouldn't fail, they are just microphones after all. Fyi, costco sells a 6 pack of techron fuel injector cleaner for pretty cheap. Might be worth it to run those with the first few tanks of high grade fuel as extra insurance.

Also thanks for the minivan advice and good luck.
Old 10-08-15, 08:02 PM
acarapella
Advanced

I think I figured it out. I drove through a flood. There is actually a video on YouTube. My car isn't in the video.

I think water got in my gas tank. You'll notice water rushing up under the back wheels. With the evap system and filled neck there, that's my theory

The Lucas injector cleaner must have removed it
Old 10-08-15, 09:10 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

That'll do it I guess . I drove through a flooded area once in a 94 camry. Had to pull the distributor cap the remove all the water and get running again. We used to get crazy flooding regularly in Tampa. Glad your car is running again with minimal financial and labor impact.
Old 10-09-15, 05:35 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Wow I forgot Camrys had dizzies. The only car I have ever had without a digital ignition is my Chevy but a flood that would reach that high calls for an Arc not a car lol

http://s155.photobucket.com/user/DrewsDeluxe/library/

Last edited by acarapella; 10-09-15 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-09-15, 06:22 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Oh god, I'm that old man now...

"You kids and your crazy coil over plug ignitions, with your fancy alternators and your 12 volts....in my day we had points and generators on a 6 volt system and we liked it! We loved it!"

Well, best of luck with your horseless carriage, I have to go change out a vacuum tube on my television set, it's color, jealous?

Quick Reply: 3mz p0333 help