ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 P0773 Solenoid Part Number.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 10:23 PM
OpenLatte
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300 P0773 Solenoid Part Number.

Just joined tonight after a few days of figuring out the issue with CEL/Error code P0773. from what I understand from the sparse info on the net I have been able to gather I have to drop the transmission pan (will change filter at the same time.) and replace solenoid "E". The issue I am running into is I need a part number from a parts store I can order it from. So now I am coming here hoping someone has this info, as everything I can find online at parts store sites, rock auto, and parts geek ect. does not specify which solenoid it is. I really need some help on this. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-15, 04:17 PM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What model year is your car?
Old 09-24-15, 04:25 PM
OpenLatte
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JetsonES
What model year is your car?
1997 I think I have the part called Lexus and will do the work and hopefully the write up this fix is seeming to need.
Old 01-03-16, 02:27 PM
asad97
Driver School Candidate

Anyone else who ran into this problem and possibly have a solution to this? My check engine light came back with the code P0773 even after I changed out the soldenoid. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-16, 01:51 PM
KSES300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by asad97
Anyone else who ran into this problem and possibly have a solution to this? My check engine light came back with the code P0773 even after I changed out the soldenoid. Any help would be appreciated.
I have the same CEL and corresponding code. Question: Did the CEL clear at least for a while once the solenoid was changed? I'm about to embark on this exact same repair if the weather holds up.
Old 01-07-16, 02:04 PM
OpenLatte
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KSES300
I have the same CEL and corresponding code. Question: Did the CEL clear at least for a while once the solenoid was changed? I'm about to embark on this exact same repair if the weather holds up.
I write this at a stoplight I'm my es. I have replaced the part. And have been meaning to do a write up but yes the code cleared and the car has not had a issue since I replaced it. It is 4-8 hours work depending on skill so grab a case of beer and some atf.
Old 01-07-16, 07:33 PM
KSES300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OpenLatte
I write this at a stoplight I'm my es. I have replaced the part. And have been meaning to do a write up but yes the code cleared and the car has not had a issue since I replaced it. It is 4-8 hours work depending on skill so grab a case of beer and some atf.
Where did you find the replacement instructions? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I've never worked on a transmission. I hope you decide to share the details of the procedure or where you found them. I'd like to tackle this myself.
Old 01-07-16, 07:43 PM
OpenLatte
Driver School Candidate

Where did you find the replacement instructions? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I've never worked on a transmission. I hope you decide to share the details of the procedure or where you found them. I'd like to tackle this myself.
No instructions just some sparse info. Pieced it together info and just went to it I'll try to find the pictures and do the write up tomorrow but you have to pull the valve body.
Old 01-10-16, 01:59 AM
KSES300
Driver School Candidate

F.Y.I., I bought the solenoid kit on Ebay and it came with these instructions.

http://www.rostratransmission.com/manuals/Form4646A.pdf
Old 03-02-16, 09:01 AM
asad97
Driver School Candidate

bump? Yes I still have the same code, even after replacing my transmission and my sensors. Any one have any recommendations on what I should do...?
Old 03-06-16, 08:41 AM
INNOUTFAN
Driver School Candidate

Another problem associated with this code is the solenoid wiring harness. I've seen a few good write ups with instructions on testing the harness, not an easy quick repair. Good Luck
Old 03-08-16, 04:57 PM
asad97
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INNOUTFAN
Another problem associated with this code is the solenoid wiring harness. I've seen a few good write ups with instructions on testing the harness, not an easy quick repair. Good Luck
I've had my harness checked and they seem to be fine...
Old 03-24-16, 06:29 PM
KSES300
Driver School Candidate

So I finally threw caution to the wind and tackled the shift solenoid replacement. I purchased the part off of Ebay and found great instructions(but sub par illustrations) on TurboNinjas.com. I did this repair in my driveway on ramps(bad idea!) and I gotta tell ya, getting that valve body out of the car was pretty straight forward, but un-attaching and re-attaching the throttle cable to the cam was a nightmare!

It took me approximately 30 minutes to get it off and at least 4 hours to re-attach it. As my father always told me, a simple job becomes a complex one without the right tools. If I had a lift, or even more clearance under the vehicle, it probably wouldn't have taken me so long. I had to lie on my back while holding the valve body like a waiter holds a serving tray over his head with one hand and reach across my body to connect the throttle cable to the cam. I quit at least five times.

I was a little intimidated because, while I'm handy, I'm no transmission mechanic. I labeled ziploc bags for each step in the removal process and I took a few pics of what it should look like re-assembled. After installing the new solenoid, I reversed the steps and cleared my codes. The 0773 code would not clear before, but this time it did. I also got a 0758 code, but it also cleared. I started the car, on the stands and no CE light so far. I'm going to install a new filter and gasket and see what happens on Saturday.

It was quite an ordeal and I know now that this job was probably beyond my skill level, but success or not, I'm pretty proud of myself.
Old 03-24-16, 08:37 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Youwill be lucky if the mil dont show up.If it does replace the trans ecu.
Old 03-26-16, 02:02 PM
KSES300
Driver School Candidate

Got everything back together, filled it with new fluid and now it doesn't shift at all. Every position feels like neutral. Reverse feels like it wants to shift but when I give it gas to high rpms, I get a check engine light with a 0500 code. The code clears and doesn't come back until I attempt to get the transmission to engage by revving the engine in reverse. The code is for the speed sensor, which I can't seem to find on the car. Would the speed sensor prevent any gear engagement and if so, where the heck is it?

Any suggestions, other than buy a new tranny, have this one rebuilt, or a bunch of lame jokes?

Quick Reply: ES300 P0773 Solenoid Part Number.