ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Flat Key - Still Got Yours or Ever Had to Replace It?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 09:31 AM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Emergency Key - Still Got Yours or Ever Had to Replace It?

When I recently bought my 2005 ES330, as part of my key set I got the case with autotransponder but no flat key to go with it. The key must have gotten separated at some point in the past and never paired back up with the case.

How many of you still have yours?

Anyone ever gone through the trouble/expense of replacing the flat key?

2005 ES330 Flat Key Case

2005 ES330 Flat Key Case

Last edited by varuscelli; 09-28-15 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-13-15, 10:27 AM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Interestingly (well, to me anyway), I did receive a broken master key with my key set.

I sanded the plastic down a bit on the broken key to remove the sharp edges and I tried using it with the case/transponder -- and it worked.

So, the case/transponder coupled with a broken master key does give me an extra emergency key of sorts.

Too bad this broken key won't slide right into the case...but who knows what I might get with a bit of extra sanding on the broken key (maybe something that fits the case and still has enough grip on it to be usable).

I just have to be careful not to take the remaining key grip down so much that it becomes unusable. Or just leave it as is and slip both into a small carrier of some sort as an emergency key packet.

Old 08-13-15, 01:46 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't bother, I didn't receive one from my original owner, but I am aware of it.

All I received when I bought the car was 2 master keys, I have since had a valet key made and programmed the transponder in it.

They do sell replacements on ebay but they aren't original, they look like good aftermarket copies, but you gotta pay another 20 bucks to get it cut doesn't seem worth it to me.
Old 08-13-15, 02:34 PM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I figure with the makeshift emergency key in my second post, above, I've got something that will work in an absolute pinch.

I hate to pay extra to have another emergency flat key cut if it's one that I will very likely never have to use and don't have any desire to have to carry around with me for fear of losing my master key.

My bigger concern was actually replacing the second broken master key (the one shown in that second post). I've got one master, so that should make setting up a second fairly straightforward.

I'm going the eBay route on the second master key and will have it cut locally and either program it myself (if possible) or get the locksmith to do it (if I can't do it myself and he can) or go to the dealership (if that's absolutely necessary, and I hope it's not).
Old 08-13-15, 02:44 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

BTW, they do sell the replacement flat key blade, it's $11 bucks factory original just needs to be cut.

And they sell the Master Key Fob case w/ blade you can buy to replace your broken one.

I bought a spare from mylparts.com, they helped me out and even cut it for free! Can't beat that!

looks like this, make sure you get the right one for your year.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-ES300-...c0b3b0&vxp=mtr
Old 08-13-15, 03:14 PM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Hey, thanks for the link. I see that the eBay seller you linked to does sell the flat key for the ES330 (about $15 with shipping), so the I guess it would come down to how much it would cost to have it cut.

Unfortunately in regard to a new master key (based on the link for the key case), I need to get both the key case and the transmitter since the broken key that I got did not have the old transmitter with it. It must have been thrown away as an assumed useless piece (sadly). The eBay seller that you linked to has what I need for the ES330 but at about $140 plus shipping (I'm hoping to avoid going that high, even for an OEM spare master).

I actually already purchased an uncut key/fob/transmitter combo from another eBay seller. Third party, I'm sure, but based on eBay feedback they seem work for most folks. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can have it cut and program it without too much difficulty.

Thanks again for that link.
Old 08-13-15, 03:24 PM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

And this looks like another eBay option, claimed to include laser cutting if keycode provided for $15.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-CUT-AFTERMARKET-EMERGENCY-INSERT-KEY-BLANK-Keys-/151776625181?fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AES330&hash=item235697821d&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

Last edited by varuscelli; 08-13-15 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-13-15, 03:31 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

BTW, based on your year, mine is a 2000 the transponder in it is likely a 4D chip, mine was a 4C chip.

With that being said, you cannot program the transponder without going to the dealer or buying a tool.

With a new Master key there are 3 things that needs to be done:
1)have key cut (by code or tracing) by dealer or locksmith.
2)remote transmitter programming, (involves opening/closing door and pressing buttons on fob
3)transponder programming, typically the dealer does this an charges anywhere from 60-100.

I've recently discovered from helping a work buddy with his newly purchased used 04 RX330 there is a way to program the transponder without going to the dealer.

I found a post on clublexus about a tool called "Smartkey Maker"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexus-OBD2-Smart-Key-Maker-Programmer-KeyMaker-brand-new-/320862964599?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab4ec4b77It plugs into your obd2 port and puts the ecu into program mode, put in your master key wait for the beeps, then insert your new master key, that's all there is to it.

We've successfully programed his brand new oem keyfob.

On my 2000 ES300 with the 4C chip I discovered that the tool is not needed, all you need to do is press the gas and brake a few times in the specified sequence.

I think it's ridiculous for dealers to ask $150+ per Master key + $40 to cut + $80 to program.

If you're resourceful, all you really need to pay for is the Master Key + tool, a lot of sellers will cut the key for free if you have the key code and ask nicely.
Old 08-13-15, 04:27 PM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all that info and advice, 808mcv20l.

Yes, I thought I had read in another thread (here or in another forum) while researching all this that for the ES330 you had to go to the dealership for the transponder programming, but I wasn't sure if that was accurate or not. The dealerships do have you over a barrel if they choose to take advantage.

I might talk to the guy who coordinates all my Dad's maintenance at the local Lexus dealership, or get my Dad to ask them as a favor to help me out with the transponder. He is a long-term customer of theirs and has spent a small fortune with them over the years, so maybe they'll be generous and treat us right on the transponder programming. Or they might not like that I got the master key elsewhere and will decide to stick it to us as much as they can on price. Hope I'm wrong about the last part.

If the folks at the dealership do decide not to be overly helpful, I've got that OBD2 Smart Keymaker (thank you) as an option to fall back on, and I could take my chances with that. It looks like a good low-priced alternative as long as I don't screw something up...

Great info and links. I sincerely appreciate it.
Old 08-13-15, 04:53 PM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Interestingly, I see an Amazon option for purchase of the Smart Keymaker that is listed under Amazon Prime and available in two days (one that works for the Lexus ES330). Others on Amazon and eBay seem to show delivery from overseas and at least a couple of week's wait (well, for the few I saw in brief searching).
Old 08-13-15, 07:13 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

if amazon has it then great.

btw here's the original post I found that we followed when programming the key:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rx330-key.html

one thing to note, after the new key was enrolled, the security light would keep flashing, what this means is it's still in "enroll" mode to exit, you need to turn key on/off 5 times (don't crank) and the security light should turn off.
Old 08-13-15, 08:34 PM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Great! Thanks for all the extra info on this. As much research as I try to do on these things, it's always easier when someone who has been there is wiling to point out what they've already learned. Thanks a bunch.
Old 08-23-15, 12:29 PM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Outstanding.

$26.95 for an uncut, third-party master key with transponder off eBay for my ES330 (free delivery)
$40.00 for a locksmith to laser cut the key
$15.99 for an OBD2 Smart Key Maker (got mine via Amazon Prime, free 2-day shipping).

$82.94 total for a new master key, plus a bit of time and about a gallon of gas to drive to and from the locksmith.

Hey, 808mcv20l: Thanks again for the tips and links. Programming the transmitter and transponder were a breeze. Maybe 5 to 10 total minutes of time for me to go through the steps for programming.
Old 08-23-15, 01:42 PM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

As a side note in regard to that Smart Key Maker I got off Amazon, I saw a bunch of these on eBay and on Amazon, but just about all of them required a 2 to 6 week waiting period for shipping. The one I found was available via Amazon Prime (only two available at the time, and none remaining right now available for Prime shipping). Interesting that there were any at all that were available so quickly via Prime.

Astra Depot New Car Vehicle OBD2 OBD II OBDII ALLin1 Programmer 4D CHIP & Smart Key Maker Keymaker For TOYOTA LEXUS Astra Depot New Car Vehicle OBD2 OBD II OBDII ALLin1 Programmer 4D CHIP & Smart Key Maker Keymaker For TOYOTA LEXUS
Old 08-23-15, 05:43 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

hehe yes, the smartkey maker is pretty ingenious, it really takes back the mystery of immobilizer keys to the consumer!

I always thought dealers charging 80-100 to program them was ludicrous.

Glad your experience turned out great.

Quick Reply: Flat Key - Still Got Yours or Ever Had to Replace It?