ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

02 ES 300 - upgrade to HID lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 11:12 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 ES 300 - upgrade to HID lights

So, what's the easiest/cheapest way to do this? Do I need the automatic levelers also?
Old 09-02-15, 08:05 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have an 04 with the HID reflectors originally. I upgraded them to the 05/06 projector D2S Xenon assemblies, which cost around 700 dollars (both were brand new assemblies). Then I bought a set of Osram Xenarc Night Breaker D2S bulbs, at 4250K color temperature, to replace the D2R bulbs at around 160 dollars. These are far brighter than the stock reflector (D2R) HIDs. Thread coming soon on this and some other mods.
Regarding the automatic levelers, you don't need them.

I have a thread over on HID planet where you can see the difference between the old reflectors and the new lights. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...eries&p=734958

If you are brave enough, you can take a dremel to your stock lights and remove enough material to fit in projector assemblies. (97-01 guys, this is your path if you want projectors - which look awesome in the 97-01s). But the easier route for 02-04 models is to just upgrade to the projector assemblies. You could stick with the halogen projector assemblies and use an LED module, or go to the xenon projector assemblies and use an HID kit.

Recently I just upgraded my high beams to the best LED module I could find on Amazon.
There's a lot of junk on eBay and this was the only decent, name brand and well reviewed one I found on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1PMCMp9
The other Lexus models I'm looking at to replace my ES eventually also use the 9005 standard for the high beam so I bought them. They are totally worth it! Yes, I am using my highs more LOL. They put out an insane amount of glare as the high beams are unshielded reflectors. They are for long distance use only and seriously bright. These would be excellent in the halogen or xenon projector assemblies, but you could certainly try them first in your reflector assemblies as this is only an outlay of a 100 bucks and you could return it if need be. You want to use the H7 bulb here if you are sticking with the factory halogen bulb standard. http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...s/lrgmain.aspx

Some pics (open in new tabs to compare brightness):

Old Reflector HIDs:
02 ES 300 - upgrade to HID lights-kkxc4ec.jpg
New Projector HIDs:
02 ES 300 - upgrade to HID lights-2c0zciz.jpg

Projector Xenon lows:
https://i.imgur.com/OMESuJC.jpg
02 ES 300 - upgrade to HID lights-omesujc.jpg

Projector Xenon lows + Halogen 9005 highs:
https://i.imgur.com/1kAbfei.jpg
02 ES 300 - upgrade to HID lights-1kabfei.jpg

I sold the 6 Plus I took the two above pics with, but will be getting the 6S Plus and will post better photos of the mains and highs once I get it later this month. I know, I need a real camera. Meantime, here is a photo with a 4S to give you an idea of the color temperature in the foreground at least, of the Xenon projector lows + 9005 LED kit by OPT7. The Xenon light and LED light in the distance doesn't show up very well with this older phone cam, so as said I will try to get those newer photos in a few weeks.
https://i.imgur.com/dpXxZwh.jpg

The projector headlights are my favorite upgrade I have done to my car.

Last edited by Chocolate; 09-04-15 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-04-15, 08:14 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

What about something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2003-LEXUS-ES300-04-06-ES330-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-CCFL-TWIN-HALO-BLACK-/360559696904?fits=Year%3A2002%7CMake%3ALexus%7CModel%3AES300
Old 09-04-15, 06:59 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmatheny
That would work. I found a more detailed listing with some close up pics: http://amzn.to/1hJ2tM2 However that particular unit uses 2.5" projectors instead of the 3" projectors that the OEM Koito units have. On the close up pic you can see that lens (and likely the reflector bowl) is cheaper and inferior to the Koito units.
Comparison:
02 ES 300 - upgrade to HID lights-lfn5rul.jpg
Name:  F4nOv8P.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  6.4 KB
I would go for a set of new or clean used OEM projectors on eBay. Make sure they have all 3 tabs.
The easiest route for a non-xenon car is to pair a set of those with the Opt7 kit which is plug and play.

Xenon cars can reuse the ballast and replace the D2R bulbs with D2S bulbs. Be sure to order two ballast covers (~$24 for both) if you have an 02-04 as the headlight ballast covers are different from the 02-04 and 05/06 housings.

Last edited by Chocolate; 09-04-15 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-04-15, 11:01 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

You should change your headlights and go that route listed above, but you COULD just buy a cheap 4300k HID kit, install them into your current headlights, aim them correctly and be done with it. Is it ideal? no, but I don't regret doing it on my old ES300 and was never once flashed or had an issue with the $40 kit in the 4 yeas I had it besides changing a bulb once or twice
Old 09-06-15, 06:16 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Do not use a plug and play kit on the stock 2005-06 ES330 reflectors.

The way the bulb is pointed, the cut-off sheild actually blocks most of the light, resulting in a much lower light output than the stock H11 bulb.

I've tried it and couldn't see jack at night, especially in the rain.
Skip to 1:37 :
Old 09-07-15, 03:54 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Do not use a plug and play kit on the stock 2005-06 ES330 reflectors.

The way the bulb is pointed, the cut-off sheild actually blocks most of the light, resulting in a much lower light output than the stock H11 bulb.

I've tried it and couldn't see jack at night, especially in the rain.
Skip to 1:37 :
Lexus Custom LED Interior Lighting - YouTube
I want to compare the Opt7 to the OEM Xenon. I have a parts projector assembly (one missing tab) bought for 69 bucks, pics incoming. As you say bulb placement is very important for the light output.

Here's a pic of someone with a Camry comparing their Halogen projectors with the stock bulb and LED kit. He is taking the picture from the right side but the output is brighter and wider.
02 ES 300 - upgrade to HID lights-wmog7cl.png
Old 09-10-15, 06:32 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
You should change your headlights and go that route listed above, but you COULD just buy a cheap 4300k HID kit, install them into your current headlights, aim them correctly and be done with it. Is it ideal? no, but I don't regret doing it on my old ES300 and was never once flashed or had an issue with the $40 kit in the 4 yeas I had it besides changing a bulb once or twice
Where did you get the kit? Do they just fit into the lamp housing with no mods? why did you have to change the bulbs so often?
Old 09-10-15, 02:09 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Love having HID in my cars, one of the selling points of my '00 ES300 was the fact it came with OEM HIDs. The fact that it has oem levelers and they work was just the whip cream on top.

Having said that, I've dealt with my share of Aftermarket HID kits as well.
Our Daily Driver 2009 Honda Fit currently has a OPT7 5k Bixenon HID kit in it.

I was originally running D2s Bulbs with an adapter shield to convert from H4 and used oem Denso Ballasts. This was as OEM you could get without the oem housing.... However, I needed High beams and found it difficult to pass annual safety inspections without working high beams.

My comparisons, the d2s/denso ballasts, gave more even output, warmed up faster...but the opt7 isn't too shabby either the light output is decent still much better than halogens, the ballasts don't seem to start up as fast. But.. my highbeams now work, and in the end that's what I needed.

I'd say if money is a concern, just get a decent aftermarket kit, (I would have gone with a Morimoto kit if I were to switch again)

try take a look here:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php

There's lots of good stuff on that site.

If you wanted the best I'd try find a used set of oem HID headlights, you just can't match the quality and output with aftermarket kits.
Old 09-13-15, 08:48 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808mcv20l
I Love having HID in my cars, one of the selling points of my '00 ES300 was the fact it came with OEM HIDs. The fact that it has oem levelers and they work was just the whip cream on top.

Having said that, I've dealt with my share of Aftermarket HID kits as well.
Our Daily Driver 2009 Honda Fit currently has a OPT7 5k Bixenon HID kit in it.

I was originally running D2s Bulbs with an adapter shield to convert from H4 and used oem Denso Ballasts. This was as OEM you could get without the oem housing.... However, I needed High beams and found it difficult to pass annual safety inspections without working high beams.

My comparisons, the d2s/denso ballasts, gave more even output, warmed up faster...but the opt7 isn't too shabby either the light output is decent still much better than halogens, the ballasts don't seem to start up as fast. But.. my highbeams now work, and in the end that's what I needed.

I'd say if money is a concern, just get a decent aftermarket kit, (I would have gone with a Morimoto kit if I were to switch again)

try take a look here:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php

There's lots of good stuff on that site.

If you wanted the best I'd try find a used set of oem HID headlights, you just can't match the quality and output with aftermarket kits.
I agree. Having researched on HID planet (the forum site of theretrofitsource) I would source a set of used OEM projectors and pair them with a quality kit (Xenon or LED - after seeing the Opt7 LED I would go with the LED plug and play if I had halogens). If there wasn't already the 05/06 set of OEM projector assemblies for the 02-04s, I would have dremeled the back of the headlight out and put a set in there. The projectors don't just perform better, they look a lot better. Almost every expensive luxury car now uses projectors. The beam pattern and light distribution are so much better through a proper set of optics.

Last edited by Chocolate; 09-13-15 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-27-15, 01:56 PM
Brandon593
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 03 ES300 with the OEM HID/Xenon reflector bulbs. If I wanted to upgrade to the projectors, can I just buy a pair of 05/06 ES330 headlight assemblies and replace my existing ones, or does the wiring not match?
Old 11-02-15, 08:43 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe it was missed, but this is an '02 with factory standard filament bulbs. It would be an UPGRADE to get to HID, or something better. Has anyone had any experience with the Street Glow replacement bulbs? I hear they are very bright and have long life. The Sylvania Silver Stars burn out in less than a year!