ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Good deal on 2000 ES300, or what am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 08:30 PM
amason61
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Good deal on 2000 ES300, or what am I missing?

I need to buy a second car for my daily driver around town. Saw this one in my area and hope to test drive it tomorrow. Those of you who own a ES300 what advice do you have as far as what else I should be asking the seller?

2000 Lexus ES 300 Garage Kept
Super clean rides like a dream and INCREDIBLE ON GAS !!
Look at the pics
This vehicle has an engine with 42k in it
Services just done;
Complete timing belt with waterpump and seals
Tune up
BG Fuel and Injector cleaning service
Coolant flush
Ice cold A/C
New tires
New brakes
Oil change
BG FULL SYNTHETIC Transmission flush service
Muti Disc CD player infinity sound
Sun roof
Cruise Control
Memory seats
Leather
No Leaks of any kind !!!!
Old 08-24-15, 09:27 PM
Mrv8q
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds great! Color/ price?
Why are they selling it?
Old 08-24-15, 10:02 PM
amason61
Driver School Candidate

White over gray. Tan leather interior.

Not sure why they are selling it. Will have to check tomorrow.
Old 08-25-15, 12:23 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

It is unusual for an engine to need a timing belt after 42k miles unless it sits quite a bit.

It is unusual for a Lexus like this to need a new engine unless something was badly neglected (it sounds like engine and body are not original based on wording).

Maybe it is great but these are questions. Maybe it's a good deal, maybe it's way over priced. No way to tell without "kicking" the tires.
Old 08-25-15, 07:32 AM
JDMSteven
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro
It is unusual for an engine to need a timing belt after 42k miles unless it sits quite a bit.

It is unusual for a Lexus like this to need a new engine unless something was badly neglected (it sounds like engine and body are not original based on wording).

Maybe it is great but these are questions. Maybe it's a good deal, maybe it's way over priced. No way to tell without "kicking" the tires.
Maybe it had a gunking issue, my Lexus had a gelling issue and the VVT-I was sticking at first
Old 08-25-15, 09:18 AM
amason61
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oro

I asked if it was the original engine and the seller stated it was.
Old 08-25-15, 08:21 PM
Mrv8q
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds good from the Left coast, check it out and post the details. i know if I found an '00 with a new TB, I'd be all over it; give my '99 a well earned rest!
Old 08-26-15, 01:35 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow that kinda sounds like what I bought 2 months ago...
here's my thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...tinum-gem.html

So After owning it for 2 months, Haven't even put 100 miles on it, but very familiar with it since we owned a few Camrys.

I discovered the power mirrors did not work at all after taking it home, do me a favor and check to make sure yours works lol.

The leather is almost perfect only a slight bit of wear on the drivers side bolster and left outer rear cushion which is to be expected. The rear and passenger side seats look almost new.

BTW your hood struts are likely weak or need replacing. I replace mine with oem for little over 200+ but aftermarket struts can be had for 50-60 bucks a pair.

My Car had the Valve cover gaskets and tune up done, the gaskets are notorious for leaking, though I doubt he did the timing belt, pulleys, seals, waterpump etc.

Other issues these cars face is a leaky power steering pump seals and pressure hose.

I would also check the inner tie rod boots (bellows) those are prone to cracking.

42k miles wow that's even lower than mine, I'd have it parked in my garage by now if I were you lol.

I overpaid Bluebook for a private party deal, but then again there were 2 more people in line waiting to look at it, so I said heck, whatever I took it for just 100 off his asking.

Good luck with yours.
Old 08-27-15, 08:22 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't you go to a Lexus dealer and give them the VIN and they can see any service done on it? I had an '01 ES300 that the engine was dealer remanufactured at about 60k for free due to the oil passage clogging issue. EVERY time you change oil, put a can of oil flush in it and run it for 5 minutes at working temperature before you change the oil. Will keep the interior of the engine looking like new.
Old 08-27-15, 10:24 AM
jenga
Driver School Candidate

Here is a link to Lexus.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

I found all dealer service records on mine under service history and can add my own services.
Old 08-27-15, 06:02 PM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jenga
Here is a link to Lexus.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

I found all dealer service records on mine under service history and can add my own services.
I looked at that a little after I got my car, had to create an account if I remember, and all it showed me was the records of things done at the dealer lol.

I think the original owner had some work done at another reputable shop so it didn't show on the lexus site. (valve cover gaskets changed) I can tell cause the Blue color of the Felpro gaskets that people like.

Anywho, yeah it's good to know but will likely only show you what was done at the dealer, most people aren't keen on updating those online records.

I purchase a little notebook with every car I buy and write all the service records in there. receipts can easily get misplaced or lost, at least for me keeping everything in a little notebook is easier.
Old 08-28-15, 11:53 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

I went there and registered - got 6 pages of Lexus maintenance! Very informative, and now I know that I really don't need to worry about changing anything for a LONG time!

Last edited by mmatheny; 08-31-15 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-29-15, 08:48 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Sorry for the dangerous thread drift, but don't ignore certain things too long. An 02 es300 can still be an awesome vehicle, but things like tranny fluid, brake fluid, coolant etc. still need regular changes. Also the t-belt is somewhat a concern - while the interval is 90k in regular use, there's a time limit (I think 7 years) the manufacturers caution against exceeding. It depends very much on usage and climate - short trips/hot weather, long trips, cool climate, etc. In Seattle, I'd wait to 90k. In Texas, Florida, or urban use, I'd go closer to 7 years even if only 60k miles.

I've also had timing belts fail because of ancillary parts aging -once an idler pulley (30k after change). Keep in mind age and not just mileage. Maintenance is cheap if you own a wrench and have an internet connection for help.