ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Power Window Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 04:45 AM
Qwerty321
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Window Issue

I have a slightly somewhat really annoying issue with the rear power windows in my 99 Windom/ES300. When using the drivers switches, all the windows work great. However, the rear windows don't seem to always operate when using the switches on the rear doors. Those switches will happily take the windows down, but when you try and raise them, they either hesitate or do nothing. After a few tries the window eventually goes up. That said, the motors and regulators must be fine because the drivers door switches operate the windows perfectly. For example, passenger in the back lowers window and is not able to put it back up, I just use my switch and it goes up perfectly on the first go, no weird sounds or hesitation or anything.

I can live with the issue, it's manageable, but it's annoying as hell. The odd thing is the front passenger window works fine, but both the rear passenger windows started exhibiting this symptoms at the exact same time, just out of the blue on the same day. Any ideas as to what the issue could be, and of course, how costly is this going to be to fix?

I'm inclined to say it might be the switch. But what are the odds of both switches failing at the same time? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-13-15, 05:56 AM
808mcv20l
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take the rear passenger switch out and clean the contacts inside the switch, apply some di-electric grease on it afterwards to prevent the issue from coming back.

I've cleaned the switch contacts for a friend's toyota tacoma drivers window switch and they worked flawlessly afterwards.
Old 08-13-15, 01:51 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

I use Deoxit, works wonders +1 clean the contacts
Old 03-15-16, 09:43 PM
bostonjoe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Qwerty321
I have a slightly somewhat really annoying issue with the rear power windows in my 99 Windom/ES300. When using the drivers switches, all the windows work great. However, the rear windows don't seem to always operate when using the switches on the rear doors. Those switches will happily take the windows down, but when you try and raise them, they either hesitate or do nothing. After a few tries the window eventually goes up. That said, the motors and regulators must be fine because the drivers door switches operate the windows perfectly. For example, passenger in the back lowers window and is not able to put it back up, I just use my switch and it goes up perfectly on the first go, no weird sounds or hesitation or anything.

I can live with the issue, it's manageable, but it's annoying as hell. The odd thing is the front passenger window works fine, but both the rear passenger windows started exhibiting this symptoms at the exact same time, just out of the blue on the same day. Any ideas as to what the issue could be, and of course, how costly is this going to be to fix?

I'm inclined to say it might be the switch. But what are the odds of both switches failing at the same time? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
I can't believe it , but that's exactly my problem on my 02 es, except it's kinda reversed..my rear windows work perfectly, up or down, but will only lower from driver's switch panel, and both rear windows stopped being able to be lowered from driver's side...at exactly same time! Did you find the problem? Would appreciate any answer!
Old 03-16-16, 06:23 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Do the same thing to your driver's switch panel.
Old 03-16-16, 08:16 PM
bostonjoe
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for info , and I get the rear window switches cleaned first thing, but what really troubles me is this....when I press the down button from driver's switch panel , there's absolutely no audible click! Like I hear when I push any other button on switch, even in rear seats in can hear that click, and rear windows go up or down, but that click is not heard when lowering Windows from driver's switch panel? Completely Confused!
Old 03-17-16, 06:22 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

You can pick up a switch panel fairly cheap at a junk yard (or eBay).
Old 03-17-16, 10:06 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

If you get it at a yard, get a warranty so you can exchange it if the donor is faulty.